Is PoE becoming D3? All crit all the time?

The newly released HoA does benefit heavy hitters, but your point about 1h v 2h is spot on.
"
kasub wrote:
Current character doesn't use crit and my upcoming character won't use crit either. Actually a big majority of my characters are not crit characters at all(many burn builds though!). So no PoE is not "crit all the time".

Crits do indeed have the highest damage potential but they require far more passive and gear investment than noncrit counterparts.

Has it occurred to you the greater "investment" is because it way better? Prices don't occur in a vacuum. Naw they are set by players who recognize exactly crit rules thus price high.

And yeah you can play w/o crit but it's slow motion compared to crit builds.
Git R Dun!
Any game that allows you to stack crit chance and crit multiplier to such high levels is going to run into balancing issues. This is because all other offensive stats become less valuable as you stack more, but crit actually becomes stronger. Once it reaches a certain threshold, no other offensive stat can compare in terms of efficiency. This is compounded by the fact that going for crit also means tacking on another multiplier, rather than just boosting your already diminishing ones. (weapon/spell damage and attack/cast speed)

As long as things remain this way, crit will always be a more efficient route to damage, and offensive balance will be out of whack. There need to be more pathways to top tier dps.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
kasub wrote:
Current character doesn't use crit and my upcoming character won't use crit either. Actually a big majority of my characters are not crit characters at all(many burn builds though!). So no PoE is not "crit all the time".

Crits do indeed have the highest damage potential but they require far more passive and gear investment than noncrit counterparts.

Has it occurred to you the greater "investment" is because it way better? Prices don't occur in a vacuum. Naw they are set by players who recognize exactly crit rules thus price high.

And yeah you can play w/o crit but it's slow motion compared to crit builds.

No, the prices primarily go up because you're looking for a specific set of five mods instead of a specific set of three mods on your weapon.
like someone said already, D3 REQUIRED you to have crit

in PoE its not required. yeah a ton of powerful builds need crit, but a lot still do not. unfortunately, I agree that crit is definitely getting waay too popular with lots of crit nodes concenrated in a rather smallish area.

when open beta started, everyone and their moms was using RT and nearly no one used crit builds.

right now, crit is just the best way to scale damage when you have access to great gear
the main reason why crit is so good is that other ways of scaling damage at high level suck.
increased damage nodes dont scale well at all, attack speed and cast speed dont scale well either.

but crit chance and multi do

reflect is almost singlehandedly a required feature for even somehow putting some sane boundaries on crit multi

even for a weapon with shitty base crit chance (specific weapon for a build, lets say chin sol for example) when you start scaling damage crit chance and multi still come out ahead of pretty much anything else.
There's definitely something silly about being able to build a char that crits on nearly every hit and does 6x or more damage. Crits would be powerful enough if they were more about the extra benefits, like flask recharge, elemental status and so on, without also giving such absurd amounts of damage.

Reflect is a pretty clumsy answer to offence vs defence balance problems. If the only way monsters can save themselves from instant vaporisation is throwing your own excessive damage back at you, something has gone seriously wrong.

Some people have suggested reducing the base player crit multiplier to 130% (same as monsters), or changing the critical multiplier formula to (base + increased crit multiplier) instead of base*(1+increased crit multiplier). It wouldn't solve all crit problems, but it would probably be a step in the right direction.

Alternatively, give us more ways to get 'more' damage that reward heavy investment, especially in the Strength part of the tree. (The classic Dex way to improve DPS is attack speed, but if anything, GGG probably want to tone down the number of attacks/cssts per second that players reach in the late game.) The problem with the standard '%increased X damage' is that everyone, including crit builds, gets a heap of it with no passive investment (from strength/skills in the case of weapons and from caster weapon/shield for spellcasters), so the advantage of getting even more of it from passives is relatively limited.
Last edited by Incompetent on Sep 1, 2014, 3:55:41 AM
Crit damage multiplier is the problem, crit damage is usually 200% in games and can't go higher: that's how it should be.

Crit chance nodes gives about twice the dps to my physical bow ranger compared to increased projectile/phys dmg nodes, that's because I have 400%+ crit damage...

Also reflect might be a counter to it but it's a stupid counter that goes against character progression. Reflect should be removed or highly reduced and crit multiplier shouldn't go higher than 200%.
Tech guy
Last edited by Warrax on Sep 1, 2014, 8:48:50 AM
Change crit mult to 1 + (50% * Increase)

Crit mult issues solved. You'll notice in D3 (all crit all the time) hitting 100% crit is essentially impossible, and multiplier caps out around 500%.

PoE? 100% crit is easy, 1000% multiplier is possible (if excessive, thanks reflect)
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Working on maxing crit multi currently. I'm at 600% with very little on gear. None on rings, or gloves .... yet

once you go crit you can't stand the slowness of anything else, even incinerate maxed out can't compare.
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
In d3, you couldn't make a viable build without crit, here you can. That's the way I look at it anyways.

You can easily make a viable build without focusing your entire build on crit. There's plenty of builds that focus on toughness and survivability rather than DPSing mobs down. It's funny because all the major complaints of classic D3 Inferno mode are starting to surface in PoE, especially after the recent numerous changes and nerfs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info