Is PoE becoming D3? All crit all the time?

As a D3 vet I remember in D3 it was easy and simplistic to evaluate gear. CC CD IAS on gear with a huge DPS weapon - all the time - every class - end of story. Seems to me the most powerful builds here do the same thing starting from dischargers to flicker strike nukes to latest Shatter Chuck witch.

I'm not sure if this is a good direction. Makes the "diversity" this game is purported to have not really that diverse. I mean it's diverse until you discover or buy crit gear but at the end of the game you want to have a crit build.

ONe thing I'd like to see is slow weapons and 2 hdrs get some love. like damage over time effects damage should be calculated via 1/IAS thus they would get some use in. I'm sure there are plenty of suggestions but crit can't be the only end game build.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 31, 2014, 2:07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Wait, so you're telling me the best way to improve my damage in both PoE and D3 is to pick mods that improve my damage?

I'm shocked, shocked I say.
path of exile has always been about crit
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
Not at all. Im asking if it's too simplistic and excludes other ways. RF with health = DPS seemed to be something different than all crit all the time but really can't compare.
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
As a D3 vet I remember in D3 it was easy and simplistic to evaluate gear. CC CD IAS on gear with a huge DPS weapon - all the time - every class - end of story. Seems to me the most powerful builds here do the same thing starting from dischargers to flicker strike nukes to latest Shatter Chuck witch.

I'm not sure if this is a good direction. Makes the "diversity" this game is purported to have not really that diverse. I mean it's diverse until you discover or buy crit gear but at the end of the game you want to have a crit build.

ONe thing I'd like to see is slow weapons and 2 hdrs get some love. like damage over time effects damage should be calculated via 1/IAS thus they would get some use in. I'm sure there are plenty of suggestions but crit can't be the only end game build.

This is what many of us have criticized when it came to the so called diversity in PoE. It's almost non-existent in upper levels of HC/SC play because you definitely need to be holding certain attributes to not die and waste shit tons of currency/time.

Over-Maxed resists, high spell block (essentially neutering all 2H builds except Bows in HC), High Life Buffer (at minimum 5k if you're not running something like Lightning Coil/Over leveled AA), etc. all are pretty much requirements depending on your build. What ends up happening is that alot of builds tend to look very similar on the trees. For example, almost every good build in endgame runs auras, and picks up aura nodes around the trees. There are exceptions, but those builds are so rare and few (and usually end up getting nerfed).

What does PoE have over D3 after that? The so called customization is only mildly better at this point, especially with how GGG keeps going with the moving target style of balance of nerfing the shit out of everything they deem overpowered. Because outside of character building/customization, D3 absolutely shits on PoE big time. Game plays smoother, combat is on point, netcode is way better, and overall progression is smoother. Even then, the gap in terms of being able to customize your character between both games is getting much smaller, especially with how the RoS team has made significant strides in improving their game.
Last edited by allbusiness on Aug 31, 2014, 7:41:36 PM
In d3, you couldn't make a viable build without crit, here you can. That's the way I look at it anyways.
I'm an incinerate tank. I never crit. I don't have to worry about power charges or crit chance. I face melt everything except for Atziri.

I also have an RT build where I never crit but it has it's issues.

I do agree that the greatest DPS potential is with crit... as my shadow knows all too well.

I think they need to give you a physical DPS boost with RT (on that keystone or on the way to it) because unless you have some GG weapons, it's tough to pull off. Bad damage means bad leech, so survivability hinges on Life on Hit, with is truly only best with cyclone - which in turn suffers from desync.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
Last edited by cgexile on Aug 31, 2014, 10:55:56 PM
Current character doesn't use crit and my upcoming character won't use crit either. Actually a big majority of my characters are not crit characters at all(many burn builds though!). So no PoE is not "crit all the time".

Crits do indeed have the highest damage potential but they require far more passive and gear investment than noncrit counterparts.
Last edited by kasub on Aug 31, 2014, 11:26:18 PM
"
allbusiness wrote:
This is what many of us have criticized when it came to the so called diversity in PoE. It's almost non-existent in upper levels of HC/SC play because you definitely need to be holding certain attributes to not die and waste shit tons of currency/time.

Over-Maxed resists, high spell block (essentially neutering all 2H builds except Bows in HC), High Life Buffer (at minimum 5k if you're not running something like Lightning Coil/Over leveled AA), etc. all are pretty much requirements depending on your build.

I do really agree with you. But what can be done?
Spoiler
Add HP % to 2H Melee Damage Nodes? No other mechanic will consistently mitigate spell damage other than max resist (which we don't want more of on the tree), and spell block, which you mentioned.
The chance to Vaal +1% maximum resists on an amulet is less than 1/300.
Well the simple solution to at least improve 2hers would be to implement parry, which is only doable against melee-attacks but already negates a lot of bad situations a ranged char will never be in.

The only difference between Parry and Block is that Parry is Melee only (it should actually be treated as Melee-Block so that 1h + Shield are still locked at 75% and are not gaining another defense-layer).

Dual-Wielding would get the Parry chance from its weapon and the Dual-Wield Block chance so for Melee-Attacks it would likely reach 75% Block-Chance.

Right now exspecially Melee take a lot of hits a ranged char will never see, because.... well he is ranged. And in the case of 2handers they lack any defensive-layers. Normally non-crit 2h-builds would be a good counter to 1h-crit builds, because they can dish out plenty of damage due to being 2h. But there are two things that keep them from doing this:

1. 2handers waste the shield-slot and are more squishy than 1h-builds.

2. 2handers have awful attackspeed and although there are plenty of damage mechanics favoring high AS there is not a single one favoring heavy hitting weapons (maybe Puncture or other Bleed-Mechanics).
Last edited by Emphasy on Sep 1, 2014, 12:25:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info