The Mathil Tornado/Puncture Spec - Cheap Uber Atziri Viable

can you make a level 100 tree? I think I know what you would take but just curious.
Tri Curse Freezing Ball Lightning Witch - view-thread/1483161
-------------------------------------------------------
General Martinus' Spoils of War - view-thread/419523
-------------------------------------------------------
Proud Alpha Tester, helping shape the world of Wraeclast
The deathless* uber atziri run video is up!

"
can you make a level 100 tree? I think I know what you would take but just curious.

It's really hard for me to say definitely. I'd probably just be filling out little things here and there, bit more ev or acc or phys, etc. But if I ever had 100 pts worth to use and had REALLY good gear including a serious dps bow, I'd probably do something like this

Maybe even cash in some more of the phys nodes for utility nodes like ev or more mana for leech. My bow is realistically half of what the best bow out there could be and I'm more than happy with my dps. If I got such a bow I'd have to reduce my damage from the passive tree because I wouldn't need more and more would put me in danger of most reflect situations.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
So, I was thinking about the puncture setup yet again. I'm wondering if swapping added fire for Added lightning would be worth it. Yes, your dps would drop but added fire is just extra dps on hit (not bleed) anyhow. The idea is this. Since we should crit often that would mean there's a likelihood of shocking with added lightning. We already have fire damage from herald so we can ignite too. The shock should help the damage/bleed increase 50%. With quality added lightning there's an additional chance to shock even if we don't crit on a shot and to extend the shock.

Then for something like atziri you could swap in increased crit strikes. or even something like added chaos. The damage would be more spikey but higher ceiling, lower floor.

----------
Also, with people asking about Drillneck. I use a drillneck and I would like to suggest this based on my experience. Early on I grabbed the pierce node on the tree. However, once my pierce gem hit level 20 I vendored it for a quality 20 (since quality adds chance to pierce) and now that it's at level 18/19 I took the pierce nodes off and placed those points into attack speed/crit. My dps is higher.

Now, I do have pierce on my puncture since a 20/20 pierce should be 74% pierce (which is equal to 74% increased damage) plus 10% pierce from the implicit on the quiver. The notable on the tree is 30%. You can not go over 100% so 14% of that notable (half the passive) is wasted. That's why I respecced out. The crit chance and attack speed make up the tiny loss of 16% (+16% proj damage). You could also get more physical damage instead othe either crit/attack speed.

my gear and tree lvl 88

my next nodes are either going to be accuracy/crit or physical damage.

Mathil, what is your crit chance?
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on Sep 17, 2014, 4:01:46 PM
Added lightning might be interesting, sure. My bow has a large amount of lightning already so I shock when I hit as is. At this point my puncture is plenty good and the differences in what you do beyond the important basics seems too marginal for me to really think very hard about so I tend not to. I'm lazy that way.

My crit is 69 without charges. + 4.5% per charge.

A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Hi to all!!greetings Mathil this is such a good build,Im really enjoying it...But....I need u guys to comfort me....I just did a huge mistake with crafting decimation bow...It had a for me(self found) really nice roll of physical dmg(79-225),45 increased crtitcal chance as prefix(about 7.2 %) and 1.10 APS.What i did was craft it with tora bench adding 24% critical chance(it was about 8.45),AND THEN(stupid me) i hit it with chaos orb....totally retarded...havent read it one more time that it changes properties...And im playing PoE for almost a year with few pauses...Then i got really angry and wasted 11 chaos orbs...so,i just need u guys to make me not cry now...
Heres what I am using now(just finished piety):
Spoiler

Im level 65 and it is going kinda slow now(probably cause of bad damage from bow).Have capped cold and fire res,but im strugling with lightning res.
My passive tree:

I am using burning arrow cause its my highest dps,but I always hit single targets with puncture.As u see it Im using Hatred and Herald of Ice atm.
I would be so greatfull if u could comment a bit about my build and things i lack.Ty in advance and srry for not so good english...
"
Restekpa wrote:
Hi to all!!greetings Mathil this is such a good build,Im really enjoying it...But....I need u guys to comfort me....I just did a huge mistake with crafting decimation bow...It had a for me(self found) really nice roll of physical dmg(79-225),45 increased crtitcal chance as prefix(about 7.2 %) and 1.10 APS.What i did was craft it with tora bench adding 24% critical chance(it was about 8.45),AND THEN(stupid me) i hit it with chaos orb....totally retarded...havent read it one more time that it changes properties...And im playing PoE for almost a year with few pauses...Then i got really angry and wasted 11 chaos orbs...so,i just need u guys to make me not cry now...
Spoiler

Im level 65 and it is going kinda slow now(probably cause of bad damage from bow).Have capped cold and fire res,but im strugling with lightning res.
My passive tree:

I am using burning arrow cause its my highest dps,but I always hit single targets with puncture.As u see it Im using Hatred and Herald of Ice atm.
I would be so greatfull if u could comment a bit about my build and things i lack.Ty in advance and srry for not so good english...

Are you on now or any time soon? If so let me know here or msg me in game. I'll help you out.
"
Mathil wrote:
"
Restekpa wrote:
Spoiler

My passive tree:

Are you on now or any time soon? If so let me know here or msg me in game. I'll help you out.

Mathil is DA MAN!!!
Just wanted to thank you very much for this build, level 87 atm and other than piss poor map rng have been enjoying it immensely. (Been playing since early CB and this is the first character I may actually bother taking to 90, lol)

My gear and gem setup at 87:

Spoiler

I went Charisma and some extra mana nodes which allows me to run Grace, Hatred and Herald of Ash and still freely spam Tornado Shot; for me Pierce and Faster Attacks are pretty much a complete waste of time for this build so I went with 20% Additional Accuracy. With Grace it's tanky as hell and the only thing that has come close to killing me is that Arc bitch's Vaal Skellies on a minus max/vuln map, lol. My current goals other than maybe upgrading bow are to swap the 6L Belly to a 6L GG Assassin's Garb or Queen of the Forest. Other pieces to be upgraded when I can balance resists properly :)

My passive tree at 87: fleshing out remaining crit nodes (16+8/20/20) on road to 90:

IGN: CPU, Gas, Cop, Live, Flee, Oil
So I'm currently using Lightning Coil right now and the survivability is great, but I find it does restrict my gear selection quite a bit. I don't know if I'll ever get enough resists from my other pieces to a point where I'd be able to replace my helm with a Rat's nest. I'm a bit curious to know how you scaled your damage so highly, my passive tree at 78 is fairely close to what you have posted, just missing some life & evasion from revenge of the hunted, and 1 attack speed node from the shadow start along with the phys nodes from there. It doesn't seem enough to make up the difference between your 22k tornado and my 11.5k tornado.

Here's my current gear any suggestions on what pieces to prioritize upgrading would be appreciated:

Spoiler

Btw Cheers Mathil, your builds are always fun.
Last edited by Warranx on Sep 17, 2014, 11:19:02 PM
I ended up buying the bow below, but didn't raise my dps by much. Probably got ripped at 2 exalts, but I was getting desperate to upgrade from the leveling bow I had been using. At least 5 links on it. I don't get how you guys find these great harbinger bows. I've tried trading and most are way expensive.

Spoiler
Last edited by rest6 on Sep 18, 2014, 3:12:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info