New Merveil is too strong

Pro tip: move and you wont take any damage
i'm waiting for video killing her with 1 life. since it's enough to survive when you take no damage
"
I haven't fought her on maps in the new league yet but I have fought her on Merciless with 15% cold resist. So she isn't nearly as hard as everyone making her out to be. I'd argue that the fight is actually fun now.

People just want a faceroll.

there seems to be some players, who arnt able to move out of her shit...

maybe its just the wrong game for them ^^
"
I haven't fought her on maps in the new league yet but I have fought her on Merciless with 15% cold resist. So she isn't nearly as hard as everyone making her out to be. I'd argue that the fight is actually fun now.

People just want a faceroll.

Well I'm not sure I can agree on that.

The problem with both the new Merveil and the new Brutus fight is that those are the first two bosses a new player encounters. And they are both just overwhelming.

Merveil throws a lot of stuff at you although I would say that Brutus is even worse. There are cages falling from the ceiling, spikes coming out of the ground and his room-filling groundslam.

While I love the groundslam because it is an ability that you can actually dodge the amounts of skeletons he spawns and the fact that the spikes always hit you at least once is annoying. As an ES-char I had to port to town to refill my ES because he either dropped skellies on me which directly scored a hit or spawned spikes underneath me.

The old Merveil actually was a fairly nice boss fight, although this is mainly for the first phase. It was a fight that was actually decently balanced between melee and ranged because Ice Spear and Cold-Snap had a good chance at freezing ranged chars. In the new fight if she decides to spawn tornados underneath herself you are screwed as a melee (or in the first phase if she casts the frost-rain on herself).

Both fights worked very well to introduce certain mechanics to new players. I understand the revamp of the second phase of the merveil fight, but again the tornados spawn inside your char and always hit you at least once and sometimes you have to pass another tornado to get to a safe spot.

So my suggestion for those two fights and one for Oversoul:

Merveil

1a. Change the number of tornados in the different difficulties. The Merveil fights in the early difficulties should be less overwhelming for players.

1b. Give a clear hint where tornados will spawn next and give players a short period of no tornados before the next spawn

2. Make her use her ice-rain only on targets not in melee range

3. Limit the amount of adds to a maximum (evt. increasing depending on the difficulty)

4. Despawn all tornados when no player is present (to prevent instand-death at the door after you died to her once)

Brutus

1. Give him a clear indication that he will spawn spikes next to alert the player. If you have Spell-Echo or Multistrike you might be death because you can't interrupt the attack.

2. The skeletons should be of a few more different types depending on difficulty. In normal he should only spawn melee-skeletons, while later version could increase the variety.

3. Remove the hook... it's a terrible ability, exspecially since it seems to pass through his allies now (so he can't hook the skellies) and he often pulls you into a horde of skeletons which you can't escape since they block you.

4. Limit the amounts of adds.

Oversoul

Give him a better animation for falling rocks he could do something like this: o/ that is the oversoul aiming his laser towards the ceilling indicating he damages it to make rocks fall. If there is an angle this could also give the ability a safe-spot at his location (which however brings you into his smash-range), because he is a smart oversoul not letting rocks fall on his head. I would also suggest making successive hits from his laser more deadly. You shouldn't be able to survive two or even three hits from his laser, because you should dodge them.

I don't necessarily want those fights to be easier. Exspecially not the map versions. But they should give the player a better indication what is going on and should exspecially give ES chars some room to breath. It used to be possible to play ES only with its own recovery but exspecially the merveil fight makes it hard to find 2 seconds of no damage to recover let alone 6. The other thing is that the fights should scale better with difficulty.

PS: I'm trying to do her right now... and she murders me with 80% Cold-Res. Her Ice-Rain is undodgeable (because it appears on top of me and instantly chills me and I lose about 2.5k HP before I can walk out... and with FB you don't have a movement-skill) and as a Melee her Incinerate-Like Iceshots are also always hitting me and chilling me completly crippling any damage. Not to mention that she summons statues far quicker than I can dispatch her with the few AoE-options you get with FB. Well I only have 3k dps, since I'm planning to switch to Rightous Fire later but I can't imagine doing her with less cold-res as a melee.

PS2: Her second form however did no damage at all. Even the Molten-Strike two clones with Lightning and Firedamage did nothing despite 2% Fire-Res and -30% Lightning-Res.
Last edited by Emphasy on Aug 28, 2014, 5:47:48 AM
Not sure if hard... I ran 2 shadows in Beyond past Merveil. Just viper strike her, dodge the tornados

But then again, the new Viper strike is broken as shit.
Try that as a melee. And i mean true melee (viper strike or spectral throw do not count).

Any map with dual boss is going to be a nightmare.. tried graveyard map with some haste mods and it was absolutelly nuts. Cold res overcapped is mandatory. Sadly these geyzers seem to be DoT and flasks with unfreezing do not help much.

Flasks also wont help as there are long periods of no-minions.

I like the idea of confined space but with desync and freezes it doesnt sound cool..
My level 84 SRS Witch has significant problems with Graveyard Merveil. Her AOE spells kill my skulls and her summons (an endless steam of Animated Weapons) kill me.

I haven't tried Necropolis Merveil yet, and I am not planning to do so anytime soon.

On Normal and Cruel she was quite easy (if you have cold res), on Merciless I had to Ledge-level for some time first.
Dear Maligaro,
I left my head in San Francisco, I lost my legs in Peru
My liver and kidney are on holiday in Sydney
And I am sending my Heart to you
--- Love, Malachai
"
Bikalo wrote:
Pro tip: move and you wont take any damage

75 Necropolis Merveil is now more difficult than 77 Shrine Piety, maybe not harder than 78 Palace Dominus but still that's overkill for a 75 map imo. First form isn't very dangerous it is the second form that is really scary. She spawns her geisers and warps to another corner of the room. Unless you kill her very quickly (in under 5 secs) the whole room will be filled with geisers, similar to the 76 Academy boss fight except that there is no place to hide. Then you are constantly taking damage.

Saphire flasks are must have, also purity of ice if possible, and for es users also stun immunity - even if that requires equipping chayula instead of a better necklace for the fight - it is worth it. Legacy Aegis Aurora users might find it fun though.
"
75 Necropolis Merveil is now more difficult than 77 Shrine Piety, maybe not harder than 78 Palace Dominus but still that's overkill for a 75 map imo.

Boss difficulty is not related to map level at all.
Don't you get the memo???

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info