[1.2] Malibu's Infernal Ice Shot

Updated 8/28

So I started off with an Ice Shot build for Rampage, and when Pyre dropped in map I had to test it out. The results so far have been pretty awesome.

The build is crit / physical damage based. I've experimented a little bit with elemental nodes and found the damage they provided wasn't as strong as physical nodes. You'll be using Hatred and Herald of Ash with a Pyre ring. Some people tend to dis Pyre but I think it's great here because not only does it destroy corpses, but it also increases the overkill burn from Herald by a significant amount.

One of the main problems I've discovered is that the build, while great in solo and small group play, becomes less effective in larger parties when monsters have significantly more HP. Herald of Ash requires you to get the killing blow (assists don't count) to trigger the burn, and since the burn is based off of your overkill damage (overkill will be less as monster HP goes up). This is the main reason I avoid specific fire and elemental nodes, because it allows me to simply swap out my Pyre for another DPS ring and swap Herald of Ash for Herald of Ice whenever I join a larger map group.

I believe this build would be best played as Shadow due to the sub-optimal Scion starting nodes, but it can easily work with a Scion, Ranger, and Shadow.

Passives:
Spoiler
My current version of the passive tree. For the curious, a Shadow playing this build would probably put the four extra points into berserking, while a Ranger could start with either the Life/Evasion track or the Projectile Damage track.
http://tinyurl.com/kkssnwj

I've also been considering a hardcore version of this build that I think would work very well. Here are the passives for that build:
Spoiler
http://tinyurl.com/oav5e7f

Videos:
Spoiler
This is still the only video I've got so far, but I'll work on getting a more comprehensive one posted.
http://tinyurl.com/njq5frn

Gear/Links:
Spoiler
Links are not finalized, as I'm still trying to determine the optimal gems to run in Ice Shot between weapon elemental, pierce, crit multi, and fire penetration. If anyone is good at theorycrafting I've love some advice.

I've been testing out shotgunning bosses with the use of a frost wall totem, as suggested by treta. I'm not sold on it yet so I may drop it, but still running with it at the moment.

And yes, my crit chance is fairly low right now (only ~30%).

Bandits:
Spoiler
Help Oak, Help Oak, Kill All.

Flasks/Mana Issues:
Spoiler

Ideally the life flask would be a Seething or Sugrgeons, and the mana pot would be Saturated or Surgeons. Mind drinker is generally enough to keep my mana up, but for the times that it isn't, the mana pot comes in handy. Would probably be able to drop the mana potion completely with even 1 or 2% more leech on gear (I have none at the moment). You could also spend the extra two points to pick up the soul siphon notable for more mana and mana on kill. This is really up to personal preference, and whether or not you want to run with a mana flask.

Survivability:
Spoiler
While Ondar's Guile and Acrobatics certainly help against reflect, it will take the skilled use of a Ruby and/or Jade flask to avoid killing yourself. If you're finding that you do too much damage to survive reflect packs, you may want to swap Hatred for Grace, or forego some damage nodes to pick up the Reflexes, Survivalist, Profane Chemistry, and/or the Ranger life/eva starting nodes. This one really just comes down to your personal preferences and depends on how geared you are.
Last edited by MalibuMoon on Aug 28, 2014, 12:50:57 PM
"
So I started off with an Ice Shot build this league, and when Pyre dropped in map I had to test it out and the results so far have been pretty awesome. Some points:

- Crit Physical
- Ice Shot, LMP, FA, Crit Multi, Fire Pen, Projectile Physical using PYRE
- Herald of Ash

So Hatred adds fire damage, Ice Shot becomes fire damage, herald of ash adds fire damage and does the work of proliferating. Been fiddling with ideas for frenzy/power charge generation and whatnot, but haven't decided what I want to do yet. Build is below, feedback is appreciated ^_^

http://tinyurl.com/mddhxer

ash adds no damage, it just makes it so if you overkill mob they explode in aoe
other then that its useless. so it would be better to use herald of ice for flat ice = fire

no idea what bow your using but i would recommend glare so you dont need to worry about accuracy, also it has great physical dps.

idk why you would want to run pyre when you could just not and have this same effect but with cold dmg which imo is more effective.

ice shot, lmp, cold pen, etc etc
herald of ice
crit phys

hatred adds cold.

your just turning your dmg into fire and wasting a ring slot imo.

also prolif doesnt do anything on herald of ash. ive tested it myself

it does nothing on ash or ice as far as ive seen

Ash adds 15 percent of physical damage as extra fire damage, it's actually bumping my dps up a lot more than Herald of Ice.
Added video :3
WTB Opinions
WOW this actually looks pretty cool. I want to try it but I haven't found a Pyre yet :/

So do enemies explode due to fire damage in your video? I'm a little confused as to how it works. It looks like they still get chilled, but instead of shattering they explode into balls of fire?

I feel dumb for needing an explanation lol
The pyre makes them pop like infernal blow or DD, and the ring of fire when they die is the herald of ash overkill burn that spreads to nearby targets.

And thanks. I'm having a lot of fun with it :P
THX for the base idea, I think I came up with something BEASTLY using this concept.
Phys to light, yo.
Care to share? XD
Pretty cool but I don't think a minor burn is worth using a meh ring for

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info