The true silent victim of 1.2.0 - mines

Mines, they've always been the less used of all types, spells, ranged, melee, totems, traps, mines... mine was always the less loved, but now I think GGG did it and finally killed them for good.

What happened you ask? Well, those who've played mines before and are playing now should already know, those who never did or didnt after forsaken masters or taiwan release will know now:

Basically, now instead of immediately laying mines at your feet, you always move to mouse location before you plant them.

Why is this bad you ask? because you dont ever have the mouse at the center of the screen as you walk (or else you'd not be able to walk or were just doing one or two steps at a time), and you can target monsters with a skill that was never meant to directly target enemies.

How encounters went before: you see a pack, pack sees you, you lay mines as they approach, perhaps even run away and lay them as you walk, then activate them when they are on top of them. You dont need to put all mines in same place, in fact one usually doenst unless one wants to concentrate fire on a boss.

How encounters go now
: you see pack as you run, mouse is over them, you click them or near them (since mobs wont just stand still waiting for you to plant all the mines you want) and if you are lucky you plant 1 mine before they start hitting you.
Or you shift-click for first mine, then move the mouse back and forth everywhere in order to properly plant the mines and pray to god that you dont mess up with movement or more realistically... target a monster that rushed in.

Movement and mine-laying gets mixed unnecessarily, this also causes one severe problem: Desync and accidental clicking mobs

Desync: If you click a mob that is desynced with a melee attack (which mines are acting like now) you'll move to attack the mob server-wise, but not on your screen (not to the true location at least), this is likely to bring much unlucky RIPs.

Accidentally: Say you are in front of vaal oversoul planting some mines and activating... but oh: he starts raising his arm, and you think "ill just go lay a mine behind him", but oops, you accidentally clicked him instead of behind him and you just took some precious time planting a mine in front of him = RIP.

Here's one the best "skills" in the game that every miner and for that matter almost anyone that isnt new to the game used/uses:

Mine users arent tanks, you cant even leech with mines.

New mine laying method is counter-intuitive, and will be directly responsible for many deaths. I urge the people of the community, especially those who played mines before to try and make a mine-user in 1.2.0 and report back (not just use as utility). You'll see that Im right.

For once I am completely against a change made by GGG and will fight for a reversal, lest mines finally RIP for good.

EDIT: After seeing people's and devs opinions I understand GGG change and since it would hurt people who like the new way, Im now Instead for a toggle option so that we can have both. I am pretty confident that if we get toggle, the majority will start with new method and will eventually move to old when they realize the problems it can bring, but yeah, current base one is easier for new players.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Sep 1, 2014, 9:28:00 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
They forgot to add it to patch notes btw;

Also Link to thread where I reported this for some GGG answers (and dodges):

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1000797

I am inclined to believe that GGG did this because most new players dont even know they can have movement only assigned to a key.
But I dont think its worth to destroy the uniqueness of mines and cause all these problems in order to "fix" a problem that really didnt even exist in the first place.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 22, 2014, 10:34:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The mines are supposed to drop at your feet. Moving to where the mouse is located before drop is stupid and will get you killed.

If the mines are going to drop where the mouse is located, then they need to be thrown as traps are thrown.

Seriously GGG, what are you thinking with this change?
I understand how this change may provide some problem, but the sollution is simple:
Use the "attack in place" button ("shift" by default) with the mine laying skill. Problem solved. This is a very useful mechanic anyway, best defence against the "runing after a desynched mob into a crowded room" (ofc. with spamming "/ooc" like no tomorrow).
"
tReus wrote:
I understand how this change may provide some problem, but the sollution is simple:
Use the "attack in place" button ("shift" by default) with the mine laying skill. Problem solved. This is a very useful mechanic anyway, best defence against the "runing after a desynched mob into a crowded room" (ofc. with spamming "/ooc" like no tomorrow).

I know of it, but the fact is, that you'd be pressing shift 24/7 and it feels really awkward to be targeting as if its melee (and do note, that you are just LAYING THEM, not activating them)

Dont fix what aint broke
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 22, 2014, 11:51:16 AM
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
tReus wrote:

I know of it, but the fact is, that you'd be pressing shift 24/7 and it feels really awkward to be targeting as if its melee (and do note, that you are just LAYING THEM, not activating them)

Dont fix what aint broke

That's also something you have to do with other skills. EK, for example, at long ranger, will usually miss if you don't Shift+Click. You get used to it, but I recall GGG had a bug-fix for that once (at least for EK) so it took your range into account (melee in your case).
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Last edited by CantripN on Aug 22, 2014, 12:44:23 PM
"
CantripN wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
tReus wrote:

Dont fix what aint broke

That's also something you have to do with other skills. EK, for example, at long ranger, will usually miss if you don't Shift+Click. You get used to it, but I recall GGG had a bug-fix for that once (at least for EK) so it took your range into account (melee in your case).

You dont get it, its not the same because its not casting the skill. its laying a mine to be later activated by player switch (default D). This directly made all mines movement skills and directly nerfs the "cast" time.

Also, for EK you run until you are in range, for mines now You run until you are in the face of mosnters. its nothing like it, mine users are sitting ducks.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 22, 2014, 1:29:06 PM
Just hold down your attack only button like other builds... le gasp you have to be a hair more active. Don't see the problem I do it anyways off of reflex, so I didn't even notice this change when I was using freeze mine.

Also you normally move to the mouse location and attack there with melee skills, but they still aren't movement skills because you do not move during the skill effect. Think of if like this normal walking + activating the skill at the end is not the same as activating leap slam + moving over the course of leap slam to a location.
Last edited by DarkHeart69 on Aug 22, 2014, 1:36:37 PM
"
DarkHeart69 wrote:
Just hold down your attack only button like other builds... le gasp you have to be a hair more active. Don't see the problem I do it anyways off of reflex, so I didn't even notice this change when I was using freeze mine.

The problem as been explained several times, more than once, people would stop ignoring and dodging them. there are more than 2 mines.
Also once again, mine users are not melee tanks: though freeze can be used to continually keep the mobs in check and smoke can be used to tank, but that's assist mines, remote mine gets raped.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Aug 22, 2014, 1:52:41 PM
Bump for awareness
Oblivious

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info