[1.1] [1.2] [1.3] [2.0 RIP build]. Maawk Firetrapper

I read a lot, basicly the problem this build has (the only one) are leapers/fire res bosses.
Whats the best way to kill those, im thinking flameblast, flame surge, cold snap, searing bond.
Whats the best, most usefull one that could even work 3or4link?
"
purplet wrote:
I read a lot, basicly the problem this build has (the only one) are leapers/fire res bosses.
Whats the best way to kill those, im thinking flameblast, flame surge, cold snap, searing bond.
Whats the best, most usefull one that could even work 3or4link?

Incoming damage is subject to your tankability I can sit in middle of whatever and just pop granite and stuff dies and I dont :P

Curses are your best friend to amplify damage and fire pen gem.

I bought myself one of those bad boys to see the difference in dps:

Sadly my AA goes back to 21 :( oh well I still should be ok. Right off the bat I noticed about 24-25% difference on both flame blast and fire trap dps tooltip which is good I guess... Gotta lvl up my gems to 20 ....

So I poped my flameblast set up into Catalyst and lost fire pen on it :( but it proliferates...

And Empower + AA + Curse went into gloves opening single socket for my faithful searing bro totem ^^

Your best friend against leapers is sturdy hand and eagle eye, time your trap right or toss it before they jump or toss it at something that is not far away from where you are so proliferation kills jumping in mobs.

Searing totem work pretty good too.

Personally I prefer Flameblast over Surge cause you can be far far away from what you are nuking and it has really big coverage with aoe nodes and it scales from channeling :)

If I swap in my 20/20 spell echo and faster casting gems into cata with flameblast instead of gems im lvling it has 0.11 cast, otherwise 0.12.
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 7, 2015, 7:55:51 AM
Hey, why aren't you using the saboteur nodes? for +trap dmg
How is the dmg compared to staff maotzu? I fear its a loss in overall dmg, the price aint that much of a difference and i could afford it or do atziri till i drop it on my rf/incinerator but somehow i lost interest in standing still incinerating if i can run around, keep my MF flask up all the time and stuff dies twice as fast:D

I see the use of Saffel´s and i like this shield a lot, +4max res is just amazing so if i reach like lvl 90 and deaths start to really butthurt i might have to switch.
Jaws also could be beneficial to spam cold snap, dunno how good or bad %trap dmg is though.

I tried some cold snap and it works, cold snap prolif just freezes incoming stuff so i can put a trap easily with no fuzz and it only takes 2slots.

About ARMOR: If i were to give up my CJ i would rather take Belly to get more flask uptime, more life.
Maybe even going boring COD.
I don´t like the coil that much, maybe im missing the point? U lose mana and live.
Kaoms could be nice too, huge life
Last edited by purplet on Jan 7, 2015, 1:19:37 PM
Hey,
sorry for kinda highjacking your thread, but I planned on making a Firetrapper and I was looking around in the various threads to get an inspiration. I got a few questions:
Why skip Elemental Dominion? As far as I understand, elemental/fire damage is better for Fire Trap as they amplify the burn damage while spell damage only amplifies the damage of the trap itself. But Elemental Dominion is "increased Elemental Damage with Spells", so I assumed it would be just like elemental damage.
Second question: I plan to go Whispers of Doom. Is it worth is or should I invest my points differently?
"
Unfeared wrote:

I had them before but dmg gain wasn't any better then off elemental nodes that also scale Heralds. Personally I'm not using overly dps heavy build.

"
purplet wrote:
How is the dmg compared to staff maotzu? I fear its a loss in overall dmg, the price aint that much of a difference and i could afford it or do atziri till i drop it on my rf/incinerator but somehow i lost interest in standing still incinerating if i can run around, keep my MF flask up all the time and stuff dies twice as fast:D

I see the use of Saffel´s and i like this shield a lot, +4max res is just amazing so if i reach like lvl 90 and deaths start to really butthurt i might have to switch.
Jaws also could be beneficial to spam cold snap, dunno how good or bad %trap dmg is though.

I tried some cold snap and it works, cold snap prolif just freezes incoming stuff so i can put a trap easily with no fuzz and it only takes 2slots.

About ARMOR: If i were to give up my CJ i would rather take Belly to get more flask uptime, more life.
Maybe even going boring COD.
I don´t like the coil that much, maybe im missing the point? U lose mana and live.
Kaoms could be nice too, huge life

Dps is like 1/2 with out searing touch and dropping all those fire nodes by witch and burning damage nodes too also fire dmg by shadow. I would imagine dmg would be not that far less if I still had them but for the love of science I wont respec back to the "core" lvling tree just to see the numbers xD. Would need likee 70-80 regrets I dont have lol.

I mean i got 1k dps tooltip on 1 stack flameblast with echo and faster casting being lvl 19... and 3.6k dps tooltip on fire trap being in chest with out empower, since I don't have burning damage nodes or am not using searing touch but catalyst inc burning damage outweights flat dps gain of empower and gotta love fire pen.. My Heralds are lvl 16 / 18 so teh dps gonna go up at some point or / and if I manage to get fire trap lvl 21 gem or fireblast which is gonna bump it up too.

Just a personal opinion but if your fire trap is able to 1 hit white packs on highest lvl maps you do solo, its good enough (if its 1 hits blue packs is pretty much where it should be, disregard fire / ele dmg resistant mod packs XD). Simply cause to toss fire trap / curse and run to next pack is faster then channeeling flameblast to clear trash. This is my primary use of fire trap, flameblast is there to finish off stuff that didn't die of it.

But the whole point of 1h + shield is not to max out dps its to push max res by those 4 pointss from saffell's and the general direction of build I gone to is sustainability, since I am actually trying to lvl up safely. I rather spend lil longer on map while having no need to worry about getting nuked. Its virtually impossible to reach 85/84 res or higher with out purities and stuff like saffell's. As well as that dmg conversion on L Coil to reduce incomming physical dmg on top of armor and AA. That 9-10% max res made me switch past lvl 90.
Its your choice wherever to keep using searing touch which is by far best lvling low lvl item there is for this spec or to try out "tanky".

I haven't died ever since I switched around lvl 91. I haven't been much in "danger" hp zones, everything was much much easier .. stuff tickles on lvl 25 AA flat dmg reduction between lvl 21 which is 177 and lvl 25 gis 244.

So yeah trade off is dps gain is sustainability. It will be easier to map and safer to lvl up, which for me is all the point for now. Maybe once I hit cap I can look at numbers again and try rebalance tanky vs dps again.

Myself I still need to work on chaos res and bump my overall dps lil higher :v
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 7, 2015, 2:37:03 PM
"
Karyoplasma wrote:
Hey,
sorry for kinda highjacking your thread, but I planned on making a Firetrapper and I was looking around in the various threads to get an inspiration. I got a few questions:
Why skip Elemental Dominion? As far as I understand, elemental/fire damage is better for Fire Trap as they amplify the burn damage while spell damage only amplifies the damage of the trap itself. But Elemental Dominion is "increased Elemental Damage with Spells", so I assumed it would be just like elemental damage.
Second question: I plan to go Whispers of Doom. Is it worth is or should I invest my points differently?

No need to be sorry threads like this exist for sole purpose of asking questions and sharing ideas. Elemental dominion doesn't work for fire trap. If you were using 6L flameblast set up yes you might want that but since build resolves around fire trap as main source of clearing trash due to fantastic " BA DUM TSS " it does to packs , no need.

Elemental damage nodes are pretty good cause they also benefit heralds on top of what they do for fire trap + whatever else you would be using that classifies as it. Spell Damage applies to initial hit of fire trap but not to burning ground effect, due to wording of Elemental Dominion doesn't apply to fire trap :(

You could try get extra curse tru unique shoes or necklace corruption which should save you bunch of points, skill points are precious.
Love this build but I only have one problem regarding the burning damage. According to the wiki, it says that the only way you increase the burning damage is through the use of the increase burning damage support gem.

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fire_Trap

Is this information correct? If I am understanding this correctly, wouldn't it be useless to get elemental damage and be more wise to just focus on the increased burning damage support gems?
"
maotzu wrote:
"
Unfeared wrote:

I had them before but dmg gain wasn't any better then off elemental nodes that also scale Heralds. Personally I'm not using overly dps heavy build.

Thanks.

I'm currently lvl 66 with
Spoiler

What can I do to improve my tankiness? I still fall below 20% when doing maps and I have to be really cautious and spam my instant flasks. I'm res capped with 3.1k hp and 1k ES with disc+clarity+AA.
"
Unfeared wrote:
"
maotzu wrote:
"
Unfeared wrote:

Thanks.

I'm currently lvl 66 with
Spoiler

What can I do to improve my tankiness? I still fall below 20% when doing maps and I have to be really cautious and spam my instant flasks. I'm res capped with 3.1k hp and 1k ES with disc+clarity+AA.

Can you post passive tree you are using ? Your gear alone is not sufficient info ya giving :X
Last edited by maotzu on Jan 7, 2015, 8:40:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info