What's the REAL difference between hardcore and default?

"
Irrelevant wrote:
Default you just go 100% into killing things faster, because who cares if you die due to not balancing survivability.

This is untrue. Ignoring survivability is not an efficient way to level, due to death penalties and the amount of time it takes to get XP at higher levels. Obviously the standard is lower than HC, but there is still a standard.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Oct 5, 2011, 1:09:02 PM
The main difference to an extent has already been said, survival.

Your build must have some talents (where you generally do not want them to go) but you must otherwise you die.

It is based upon living and not so much on how fast you level.

Softcore sure you don't want to die but honestly I would never get certain (life) talents when I can kill things so much faster when picking up the dps talents.
Last edited by GoL_Fusa on Oct 5, 2011, 2:28:21 PM
What is penalty if you die? I have only died in hardcore and i know what happens then :(

-Icy
#alphalife
I think that hardcore characters that beat the game should get some kind of special awards (even if it's just cosmetic). I also think that hardcore characters that die past a certain level should receive a complete free respec upon entering the normal league.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
"
IcyStylez wrote:
"
The main difference is the population, honestly.

Default has a bunch of 12 yr old trolls. I have yet to see a single troll in HC

Hahaha that funny, i only play hardcore so i never figured people spam on this game. Everyone on Hardcore is usally VERY helpful, and kind to answer any questions over chat.

So i guess the real difference is what type of players you enjoy playing with.

-Icy

People in Default are very helpful as well. Higher population does mean higher chance of some horrible D3 flamewar breaking out however.

I actually assume Dothackking is making a pretty clever joke by saying that there are no trolls in HC in a very trollish post :D

It wasn't entirely trollish.

I played default for one day and had to ignore two or three people, and others got on my nerves. Been playing default for like 5 days now with no ignores.

The little ones don't know the joys of Hardcore because they weren't around for d2, so they can't troll in hc.
Two things: adrenaline(constant fear of dying) and community(which is helpful because of reason one). It is a nice Catch 22(never did I think that I would say that).
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Stentuff wrote:
Are there any differences at all in droprates, experience or monster difficulty?

Would love an answer.

Thanks
No, and having such differences would defeat the purpose of hardcore.
Hardcore is there so you can say "I got this far without ever dying", not "I got this far without ever dying because I got a bunch of extra stuff"

how about just putting in extra stuff for hardcore that wouldn't change the gameplay.. - like easter eggs, and stuff like that?
"
Darkfyre wrote:
how about just putting in extra stuff for hardcore that wouldn't change the gameplay.. - like easter eggs, and stuff like that?
As long as Default gets easter eggs that hardcore doesn't have.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Hardcore being hardcore is enough. Easter eggs will get boring in a week. Permanent death (well, reducing to default is just as bad) never gets boring.
Hardcore you die, you dead for real (but not real life just in video game and even then not really dead because you go to default where you may live again!)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info