Why is Trading so Hated?

"
Phrazz wrote:
No one hates trading!

A lot of people hate to trade, but that does not mean that they hate trading.

Yup - I hate to trade - I play to PLAY, not to talk to strangers, bargain, haggle, get scammed, worry about prices, etc. I get enough of that in my day job.
"
Nemmerle wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
No one hates trading!

Yup - I hate to trade - I play to PLAY, not to talk to strangers, bargain, haggle, get scammed, worry about prices, etc. I get enough of that in my day job.

You and me both!
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I think I understand now. I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind it being based around trading XD. I guess you can say its my favorite game mechanic in PoE. That and RnG, which I also love. Makes finding something nice feel all the more satisfying.

I was once a self found league supporter but then I realized and I can tell you this after playing Reaper of Souls a friend gifted me.

Self found is fun, but only when drop rates are based around it. And playing self-found that long can get stale but right now the game is focused on mandatory trading as posted above to pass gear checks. What is annoying to most people is that after so long, you realize that trading for a long time is the only way to build reliable currency fast. I don't mind trading and neither do a lot of people. What I believe we are ticked off about it is that there is a 20/80 split of farming to trading currency gathering at the moment. I can guarantee that unless a farmer is lucky in drops and gets shav's soultaker etc repeatedly, a veteran farmer with a typical shop and popular prices and a veteran trader/flipper working at the game for equal time for a month, the trader will always come out with a vast amount more of currency and items than the farmer.

I was discussing this with my roommate who doesn't even play the game but has played many others like this. Why play the game when you can just trade items to have the best gear possible within a month or so if you know what you are doing? This is why he loved playing Diablo 2. He could play all day and still have a nice outcome compared to all the traders that just watched chats all day so they would have good gear or more money for the next day of playing. I've played since open beta started and without any serious trading I've finally gone through about 60 exalts in items and currency in my lifetime. Yet you see people who are either really freaking lucky or more typically, they trade and flip most of the day and have multiple shavronne's and kaom's for sale. a 20/80 split of efficiency of time like this is discouraging to people who actually want to play the game. When we finally are at the level to take on Atziri self found only or minimum trading, too bad because we still don't have that one item like soultaker that would take our damage/survivability/etc to the next level. (Not commenting on budget builds here I'm glad they are more popular lately but seem much slower than many mid-price builds) and thus we need to farm more or start trading to be time efficient.

Many others that I see and myself don't really want a self found league now. We don't even care if trading is more efficient if you take the time to learn the economy and current market. But I personally would like to see the gap be reduced to something like 45/65 in favor of a person who trades half of their play time. People always replay back to these things saying that if we want to play self found then we shouldn't try to compare ourselves to the people who know the market and take advantage of it. But regardless if somebody tells me that, I still get disheartened when I know I could be leagues ahead of where I am but I actually want to play the game damn it.

(The 20/80 split I mention is arbitrary. It is how the gap in playstyle effectiveness is in solely my own opinion and not trying to claim it as a absolute fact.)
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Jul 3, 2014, 4:42:40 PM
"
HasuKishi wrote:
I guess you can say its my favorite game mechanic in PoE.

???

Love slaying monsters? Love using abilities? Love building a character? Love theory crafting? Love the progression of you character?

No, your favorite mechanic is trading?

You and me, my man, we are VERY different.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Nemmerle wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
No one hates trading!

exactly. It's so frigging tiring to trade. I need fuses to try to 6L but since league is ending (and this 'league is ending' mentality started with 1 full month left) it becomes difficult to get your "wtb fuse" picked up amongst all the hoarders and currency flippers amassing perceived wealth for standard (which they probably won't even play).

It takes much longer than it should and is more tedious than I like. I don't have time to sit there and scroll through the wall of text, scammers, double posts, spammers etc. I just want to play the game.

Trading is not fun. If you like it fine, nothing wrong with 'trading' in the game but the act of trading in this game. ugh. I wish I could cash out my exalt or chaos for fuse through NPC (but that'd hurt the economy)
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
Last edited by Madcow1120 on Jul 3, 2014, 4:51:36 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
HasuKishi wrote:
I guess you can say its my favorite game mechanic in PoE.

???

Love slaying monsters? Love using abilities? Love building a character? Love theory crafting? Love the progression of you character?

No, your favorite mechanic is trading?

You and me, my man, we are VERY different.

As it should be. Its not that I don;t like the combat or anything, its what got me into the game. Its the way trading is intertwined into most every other aspect that makes me love it so much. But we all share our own opinions, and this is mine. Go play how you find fun, and i'll play my way. Good luck to you all!
"

Exile Yourself to the Unforgiving Continent of Wraeclast!

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races.

"
kussekurt wrote:
"

Exile Yourself to the Unforgiving Continent of Wraeclast!

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races.

How many people are actually willing to barter though. The only time I've ever experienced it is watching streamers or every so often I cut people a break on my shop. Nothing I've ever bought from somebody was the person ever willing to drop the price even slightly. Barter and Trade are two completely different things here at this point. A select number of people seem to cut deals and barter everybody else you better match their exact price they want or over price your offer or gtfo.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
lol people don't fucking barter It's either a set price or gtfo in most cases

35 ex
32?
35 gtfo noob wasting my time
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr