Ball Lightning

Can anyone tell if skill duration passives increase the flight duration of each ball, since it doesn't have the 'duration' tag?
Real life made me quit the game lol
it doesn't have a duration listed on skill, neither tag nor numbers, so no.

flight time is only a number for sparks so far. all other projectiles have a specific lifespan that is unmodifiable
KB doesn't add any relevant damage in most scenarii to ball lightning.
When you cast one BL and it knocks back the ennemy, the ennemy is indeed hit more times, leading to more damage per cast.

However, when you play with BL you realise you are 90% of the time casting streams of BL. Every tick, the ennemy is hit by x indivdual BL. That's your dps on this monster. Now if the monsters is kb, how many BL hit the monster each tick ? Exactly the same x. Leading to exactly the same dps.

KB only adds damage when you have to cast once and run. Because dps isn't what grossly overpowers the very local effect of KB. This doesn't happen very often when using BL. In most hit and run scenarii you are often casting at least two spell echoed BL (at least 4 balls) so KB becomes a tiny damage increase.

Overall, KB damage increase to BL is low at best.

So please, some of you should stop acting superior with your pseudo "superior BL knowledge". All KB does is add tremendous survivability to the build, which is a good enough reason to include it. But it's not the ultimate stat.
Area increase is, but it's a secret to no one. There is no "super secret awesome tech" to BL. Area for damage, KB for utility, Cybil for life and the usual stuff for lightning spells. Whoopsie doodle that was so hard to figure out !
"
polimeris wrote:
KB doesn't add any relevant damage in most scenarii to ball lightning.
When you cast one BL and it knocks back the ennemy, the ennemy is indeed hit more times, leading to more damage per cast.

However, when you play with BL you realise you are 90% of the time casting streams of BL. Every tick, the ennemy is hit by x indivdual BL. That's your dps on this monster. Now if the monsters is kb, how many BL hit the monster each tick ? Exactly the same x. Leading to exactly the same dps.

KB only adds damage when you have to cast once and run. Because dps isn't what grossly overpowers the very local effect of KB. This doesn't happen very often when using BL. In most hit and run scenarii you are often casting at least two spell echoed BL (at least 4 balls) so KB becomes a tiny damage increase.

Overall, KB damage increase to BL is low at best.

So please, some of you should stop acting superior with your pseudo "superior BL knowledge". All KB does is add tremendous survivability to the build, which is a good enough reason to include it. But it's not the ultimate stat.
Area increase is, but it's a secret to no one. There is no "super secret awesome tech" to BL. Area for damage, KB for utility, Cybil for life and the usual stuff for lightning spells. Whoopsie doodle that was so hard to figure out !

All you did was provide an exaple of type of play with BL. Stream casting like you said, but you do not have to do that, on most white mobs and some blues 1 echo cast is enough - so cast and move tactic works wonders. And on bosses knockback is superior to every other support. So "you should stop acting superior with your pseudo "superior BL knowledge"".

But that is all right, I was a non believer too until I tested it and now I use it even on a BL freeze build (with the tree update it is not needed on white mobs, but still good vs rares and bosses).
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Aug 23, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
I guess that's a play style difference then. I consider that I am grossly overpowering an area if all I need to obliterate whites/blues is one cast. In that case all you need is more power against bosses since the rest is irrelevant. That's legitimate in that case.
It just didn't even crossed my mind because I don't OS everything is sight al the time.
Is the rate of hits of a single ball always 1 hit every 200ms? Or does it vary based on number of mobs in the AoE radius, or distance from the center of the AoE?

If a mob stays in the AoE radius of a ball for the entire duration of the ball's flight will the ball keep hitting the mob for the entire duration?
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
"
geffreyy wrote:
Is the rate of hits of a single ball always 1 hit every 200ms? Or does it vary based on number of mobs in the AoE radius, or distance from the center of the AoE?

If a mob stays in the AoE radius of a ball for the entire duration of the ball's flight will the ball keep hitting the mob for the entire duration?
constant
yes, it hits all in its range it seems too on every pulse
I feel like this skill should have had a lower base travel speed. Either that or the potency of the slower projectiles support gem should be higher as it is the only way to make your projectiles slower. (Another option is to introduce passives that lower projectile speed)

The reason I say this is as follows: I'm trying to make this skill work syngergistically with Elemental Equilibrium but I'm finding only very marginal success even with knockback and keeping the mob in the ball for a majority of its duration.

By comparison, using Firestorm with elemental equilibrium is much much more potent because not only dues it rapidly proc EE and have a very good duration (esp with supports and passives), but you also have a great deal of fine control over the persistent area of effect.
--
All this being said I understand why the devs decided to make the base speed so high. I suspect that having a lower speed might affect system stability for people who spam ball lightning (albeit IMO very ineffectively) with greater multiple projectiles.

My game sometimes crashes if I'm moving into an area where someone has already casted a large amount of ball lightnings covering the screen. I suspect that the game trying to load so many effects at the same time is what causes the crash. I don't think it's a PC issue, I have a very decent computer. (same thing happens occasionally with summon raging spirits)

(I've also made party members crash on my summoner with summon raging spirits so I know it's not just me experiencing this. It only occurs when people are coming in from offscreen.)
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
I don't mind the current travel speed, but I want it to be able to travel further.
"
geffreyy wrote:
I feel like this skill should have had a lower base travel speed. Either that or the potency of the slower projectiles support gem should be higher as it is the only way to make your projectiles slower. (Another option is to introduce passives that lower projectile speed)

The reason I say this is as follows: I'm trying to make this skill work syngergistically with Elemental Equilibrium but I'm finding only very marginal success even with knockback and keeping the mob in the ball for a majority of its duration.

By comparison, using Firestorm with elemental equilibrium is much much more potent because not only dues it rapidly proc EE and have a very good duration (esp with supports and passives), but you also have a great deal of fine control over the persistent area of effect.
--
All this being said I understand why the devs decided to make the base speed so high. I suspect that having a lower speed might affect system stability for people who spam ball lightning (albeit IMO very ineffectively) with greater multiple projectiles.

My game sometimes crashes if I'm moving into an area where someone has already casted a large amount of ball lightnings covering the screen. I suspect that the game trying to load so many effects at the same time is what causes the crash. I don't think it's a PC issue, I have a very decent computer. (same thing happens occasionally with summon raging spirits)

(I've also made party members crash on my summoner with summon raging spirits so I know it's not just me experiencing this. It only occurs when people are coming in from offscreen.)

Slower travel speed increases the times it hits enemies so that would be some kind of dmg buff. Its usually from about 25% dmg increase since you gain one more hit per ball on mob if you have slower projectiles and you get 2 more if you have more inc aoe. So instead of 3 hits without slower with aoe you get 5 with slower speed and aoe that is increase of whooping 75% dmg to balls. Tho they dont travel as far, plus you use one gem slot for them. Making it slower by base speed would increase its damage way too much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info