Dev Diary: Moving some spell damage onto weapons

"
To help reduce the effectiveness of spellcasters in short-duration rushing leagues, spells have been rebalanced so that a certain degree of spell damage from items is assumed for spells to do maximum damage in the long term.

uhm

wat?
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:

uhm

wat?

I too was wondering about this. Does it mean for example that wands now have a spell damage stat so that the base matter other then mods or ?
Competitions that were won by witches as they depend less on good items and more on levels of spell gems.

I still don't get it. What I extract from the statement is:
You need spell damage on items to do maximum damage. Which is... obvious.
When I read it for the first time I assumed that int weapons will get magical bonuses for spells damage and players will need to find the ones they need. Maybe the bigger the level of the item, more the bonus.

But now maybe they do plan to incorporate this into base statistics on weapons. Hopefully it will have nothing to do with base damage of weapons. I am wondering how this will work for hybrid int classes that don't want to use int weapons but still want to use some attack spells for certain situations.

What I get is that, the spell damage on gems will be toned down, in return items will start to have innate spell damage amounts. Forcing casters to upgrade equipment for more damage..instead of just being able to wear total noob gear (as long as it has good sockets) like they can now.
I tend to be a very opinionated and brief poster. Due to this I often come across more hostile than I really am, sorry bout that. Also my train of thought is odd, something I just forget to post needed information, or assume its already known.
"
Stafir wrote:
What I get is that, the spell damage on gems will be toned down, in return items will start to have innate spell damage amounts. Forcing casters to upgrade equipment for more damage..instead of just being able to wear total noob gear (as long as it has good sockets) like they can now.

That sounds reasonable, I guess that is what's meant.
"
Stafir wrote:
This is a pretty good description. My level 62 witch runs around with level ~19 gear right now, and can kill anything. That's just not right.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Stafir wrote:

what? every decent witch uses wands with spell dmg+ single tree dmg and high faster cast, crafting good wand is atleast as hard as crafting good melee weapon.
IGN Crakk
"
Stafir wrote:

But there in lies the question of whether or not those "upgrades" will be more common. Most of what I find is always based around the same mods/socket layouts. It will be interesting to see...
IGN: eNtaK
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/SihteGaming
Path of Exile New Player Area Guide Video Playlist: http://bit.ly/13BcvFr
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sihtegaming

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info