Flame Surge + Fire Trap Build! Cheap but Extremely Efficient! Videos Inside!

"
ComradeSerge wrote:
Seems like a really nice build, props for theory-crafting!

Thank you! Glad that you liked it :)
"
I love this idea. I'm going to use your concepts to make a low-life crit version to make up for iron will etc. I'd probably use atziri's acuity. Maybe if I get a chance to try it today I can update you and you can add a low-life version (no snapshot of course) to your guide. I could probably use your help in theorycrafting. Just got home from last night at EDC so I'm tired. Thanks for the idea!

Sounds fun, good luck on your build!
"
a4o_Havoc wrote:
What's your tooltip Fire Trap damage? And did you level using the same build or switch over at some point?

2k. I think you can level with Searing Touch + Searing Bond + Fire Trap + Flameblast. A lot of the decent leveling skills are fire spells!
"
Joo wrote:
combining these two spells is probably on a lot of peoples mind since the release of flame surge. the whole setup is definitely not what I expected though and not sure how i feel about it. some likes and dislikes underneath, some within your control, some not so much.

-more raw % life than you expect for a AA +MoM char, nice.
-also plenty of flat life from str
-mana/life nodes are efficient

dislikes:
-15000 flame surge dps seems lack luster for a tree geared specifically for it+6l+lvl90
-too much focus on spell damage which as you say doesen't increase fire trap burn at all.
-iron will double taps strength which is nice but yet another support gem means you probably want 6l asap a.k.a not cheap as advertised (yes I read the 5l disclaimer which would make more sense if dps was 500k rather than 15k)
-aura's will still be strong and the build has 0 aura nodes.
-"low" max fire ress
-given all of the above + the fact that you need the leech it feels like you would cast flame surge on every rare rather than just bigger bosses
-hard to get every stat you need i suppose on a shield but feels like you could do better than 70 es on a EB char.
-elemental weakness is usually considered stronger for fire trap+prolif builds due to quality bonus and the fact that you already have a high ignite chance and only need to ignite one mob in a pack. the burned ground should work for bosses.

- 15000 dps is definitely enough for doing maps. As you can see in the Shine video, I killed Piety pretty fast with flame surge.
- Fire trap already has enough damage I think. In most maps, I can kill any white mob with a single fire trap.
- 6l is 100% not necessary. For clearing maps, you will use fire trap way more often than flame surge. 6l only allows you to kill rares/bosses a bit faster.
- Not all builds should get aura nodes. There are very few auras that are worth using for this build.
- I assume you mean I need high max fire resist for reflect? With arctic armour, I'm already taking no damage from reflect.
- All you need on the shield is life and mana regen. Anything else is luxury.
"
Redoxe wrote:
Remember that rare gloves can roll up to 50 strength making that 100 strength on Meginord's Vise less impressive.

They're good starter gloves but with a good rare you would end up with a lot more life and possibly resists that could enable you to buy rings that have %fire damage instead of a resist. In a best case scenario you would gain 64 life and 24% fire damage + 10% Iron Will damage (50 strength, rings with 12% fire damage each).

This might have been obvious but since you had such a good reasoning for using Doryani's Catalyst over a rare weapon I felt like something was missing when you talked about the Meginord's Vise.

Other than that it's a great guide and an interesting build, might try something like it in the next leagues.

Yes, I agree that rare gloves with high strength could be better than Meginord's Vise. I choose to use the latter because they are much much easier to find and super cheap (1 chaos?).
"
Vince wrote:
Can this be played from a league-reset, or are things like doryanis and a 5-link required for it to be efficient?

Yes, Maverickroll explained it perfectly!
"
Maverickroll wrote:
I got to give you credit, you got to it first. I found a 19% Flame Surge around several days after it was added in a patch. I kept it cause, why not it was almost 20q someone might buy it. No one ever did so I started thinking what would be the easiest way to double dip with its extra damage modifier, fire trap. Hell most mobs die to the traps alone (when cursed), and you only have to occasionally go after the one or two stragglers who made it out of the AoE death zone. Invaders/Bosses are fairly simple just keep them burning with traps, and spam Surge.

Good build. I just hit cruel with my own, I had planned to try my hand at a guide if I could make the build to 80 and make sure it was map viable.

"
Vince wrote:
Can this be played from a league-reset, or are things like doryanis and a 5-link required for it to be efficient?

It's very viable, even with just two sets of 4L, one for Surge one for Trap. Obviously 5L is better and 6 is the sweet spot but for a new league, or at least a new character on a budget, yea it works. Quality on Surge just ramps it's cast speed, so you can do pretty good with just a default version. You'll definitely need the support gems but most of them are quest rewards so you can trade for easily. The ones that are drop only might be a little pricier, in a brand new league at the start but still doable.

Yeah, I am pretty sure there's gotta be many other people who have similar ideas. But surprisingly, I didn't find any good guides on it. So I thought I would write my own =P. I am definitely looking forward to your guide since your explanation skill seems far superior to mine :)
Nice guide I am wanting to do something with fire trap and flame surge in rampage, I might follow this guide, I would really like to do so something with crit but it becomes very hard to stretch the points out for such a build, and I am unsure on a few of the mechanics so this may be a more safe tried and tested approach.
Last edited by Qipz on Aug 21, 2014, 6:10:17 PM
Hey Gang, I just wanted to chime in on this post. First off Hat's off, the theory behind it is solid. Nice JOB!.

I am a trap Builder like ya read about, made over 10 since beta. I decided to try this idea and run with it. I am at work, so I can not get into great detail with this post but I will give you the cliff notes and some tool tip feedback.

Started as Witch:Non Crit based.. mainly cause I just ran out of points and crit certainly isnt needed to solo smoke everything you run across except Atziri, and it may do Atziri, just have not attempted.

I use three major skills, and I will touch briefly on them...

-20/20 Fire trap, 20/20 multi-t, and lvl 19 chance to ignite no Q yet...
This 3 link is in Doryani's as poster suggested, absolutely best bang for your buck.. he is 100% right
Tool Tip is 3,200 and change..

-20/20 Flame Surge, lvl 3 Empower, Con. Effect, 19/20 Faster cast, 17/20 Spell Echo..
This is 5l in a Carcass Jack... Tool tip with my current spec is just over 32k..

***Disclaimer*** I spec'ed out of some life nodes and took the block wheels in Witch start and north of templar. Health went down from 4.2k to 3,750, however my ES went up to 3,750.. with life regen converted to ES at 120+ ES per Sec (This is not necc. and when Life regen was life regen I was at 198 life per sec..

the 3rd skill I use is Flame Totem on a 4L.. I have tried several different combo's and my 2 fav's are

RRGB= using knockback and IIQ for the 2nd red slot, g= GMP, B=Faster casting, red=Flame totem

However, I am running BBGR due to running out of Chroms trying to get RRGB on pur int gloves with high ES.

BBRG= R=flame totem, G=GMP, B=Faster cast, (B=Chance to ignite <--- This has been a game changer !!)

I literally could for go the multi trap.. but I like the residual damage factor especially for reflect. But with Multi traps on ground and flame totem , Flame surge is always at 50% bonus.. I'm guessing easily over 48K with a tool tip of 32k...

For Utility:
I use 4 l lighting warp... fun to play with
&
3l Cwdt=.. at the time I am using Enduring C, and Enfeeble.. again mainly cause my shield was being difficult to go 3 red... for IC... But I do like the defensiveness qualities of enfeeble and the endurance charges hanging around for full duration..

Anyway, back to work for me... I build using LOTS of regrets...so if your interested in my build.. I will be able to answer most questions about variations because I have tried them...

Dont mind sharing if someone is interested and thank you all for contributing to the forums...

Final summary

3750/3750 Health ES Dont ask me how I get them exactly the same luck I guess...

I run Discipl, HoI, HoT with a (20/20 reduced mana).

I have about 439 usable mana.

See ya in game,
Mez

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info