Low-Level Dueling (LLD) PVP Beginner's Guide

Added a link to the in-progress LLD crafter's guide
Made a few quick updates related to Leo, Season 1, and the new PvP Forum. I'll need to do more sometime soon (as well as update a bunch of the arena screenshots...)
Awesome post. Tons of great info and sources.
So i am a really new player to path of exile but im really intrigued by pvp or what i have seen of it so far. I come games like league of legends, world of warcraft, diablo 3, and my big question is....everyone seems so focused on skills and gear and passive talents(in regards to theorycrafting), is this because things like evasion, armor, block chance, hit chance are fairly negledgable? Or is it just that no one has done tye theorycrafting yet? Example: in WoW pvp, you require 5% hit to hit a target the same level as you, and stats like expertise(which has been removed now) reduced your opponents chance to dodge or parry. Is this stuff just not a concern? How do the numbers behind the game work? Accuracy rating, evasion etc.etc.?

Edit: are there diminishing returns on any of these stats? Is 100% hit attainable? Is it attainable at level 28? Is there merit to getting 100% hit? How does accuracy interact with evasion or block chance? How is armor calculated?

I know these are a lot of questionsn but im a numbers guy because numbers cant lie and are reliable. Things that are reliable remove luck and rng from the equation leaving only skill, which is what we are after in a balanced game right?
Last edited by Ziramond on Jan 19, 2015, 12:34:26 PM
"
evasion, armor, block chance, hit chance are fairly negledgable?

they are important stats

A lot of what you ask is described in the mechanics thread or on the wiki

Your chance to hit depends on your accuracy versus the evasion of your opponent.

"
Is 100% hit attainable? Is it attainable at level 28? Is there merit to getting 100% hit?

There are ways to always hit - pick the resolute technique keystone, or use a vagan's weapon with the hit's can't be evaded prefix. Both of theese options have an inherent drawback - with RT you cannot crit, and if you use vagan's wep you will have a lower DPS weapon since a prefix is already used up by the mod.

"
How does accuracy interact with evasion or block chance?

block chance - they don't interact
evasion - they do, the formula is

"
chance to hit = attacker_accuracy / ( attacker_accuracy + ((defender_evasion/4)^0.8))

"
Things that are reliable remove luck and rng from the equation leaving only skill, which is what we are after in a balanced game right?

Skill = pot management, rest is movement and hold main attack :^)
"
dzordzo wrote:
"
evasion, armor, block chance, hit chance are fairly negledgable?

they are important stats

A lot of what you ask is described in the mechanics thread or on the wiki

Your chance to hit depends on your accuracy versus the evasion of your opponent.

"
Is 100% hit attainable? Is it attainable at level 28? Is there merit to getting 100% hit?

There are ways to always hit - pick the resolute technique keystone, or use a vagan's weapon with the hit's can't be evaded prefix. Both of theese options have an inherent drawback - with RT you cannot crit, and if you use vagan's wep you will have a lower DPS weapon since a prefix is already used up by the mod.

"
How does accuracy interact with evasion or block chance?

block chance - they don't interact
evasion - they do, the formula is

"
chance to hit = attacker_accuracy / ( attacker_accuracy + ((defender_evasion/4)^0.8))

"
Things that are reliable remove luck and rng from the equation leaving only skill, which is what we are after in a balanced game right?

Skill = pot management, rest is movement and hold main attack :^)

Thanks for the help man!! I finally found a fairly in depth guide to almost all the in game mechanics for path of exile. The link to the article is here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605432-path-of-exile/65286741. If this is not somewhere on the forums it really should be, it explains in detail the mechanics of pretty much everything in the game and how they all interact. Thanks again man!!
"
Thanks for the guide! I spent the day farming cruel mud flats and crafting new items for my LLD character. Master crafting makes it easy

why did you invest in evasion?, unless the person you are playing is a nearsighted fool who lost his glasses in the maw of a roa, most players will have enough accuracy to go right through evasion.

or they are spell casters , or they use poachers mark etc.
or resolute technique etc.
not that many people are using rt and vegan weapons are only a thing on sc.

Evasion greatly reduces your chance to be hit or crit, especially by bow users. Its far from useless but does get countered pretty bad by rt/vegan.

Just because your tooltip for accuracy sais 95% hit chance doesnt mean that the actual hit chance is this high.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
i still play lld, msg me in game stoners
Hello. I want to try out PvP, but I don't feel like going all-out about it yet; I'd really love to steadily level up Leo with his dailies in the temp league, but I don't know how to go about it. I've tried entering the Sarn arena today on a LL character, only to be mostly one-shot or spammed by FPs to death.

What would you recommend as a build to try and slowly complete dailies?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info