Unusual CoC Cold Snap build (now with videos)

"

I'm not exactly sure how mana with CoC works, but with LA/CoC/GMP/Chain/Cold Snap, its

12 x 2 x 2 x 1.4 mana = 67.2 per cast.
15 x 2 x 2 x 1.4 mana = 84 per cast.

If you add cold penetration or concentrated effect, it's more like
104 mana per cast vs 130 mana per cast.

This 17 mana per cast makes a huge difference for what is pretty negligible damage. The difference between level 5 LA and level 20 is 45% increased projectile damage, and your actual projectile does like, 300 damage. So 300 x 5 targets(max amount) = 1,500 damage per cast. 45% increased is 2,175. So really you're talking a 675 damage increase for like 20% more mana. When you're in the 20/30/40k dps range, 675 only amounts to roughly 2% damage increase.

I personally prioritize evasion while running grace, you have a decent amount of +% EV from passive nodes.

Ah okay thanks for explaining.
So far I'm leveling with armor/evasion seems to be fine.
I'm using maligaro's as my gloves, seems to be the best choice for the crit and AS + evasion?

Also, heres my tree
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAr-sB0ZuN7YMILgBeGY7TfmJaJJ19df66u-PEotwVp9T-yKGk4dvnVCT9FfA6WAR-hxkF-aOKmyayGTIBz3oi6ujWX-FrJJXp8ELaZN7253Rh4nBS8-oWv4fbcNXAUeOEY0M=

Should I stop where I am at and go back down for the phys + piercing then lethality and Acrobatics clusters before going into the ele dmg nodes and further into witch?
Creator
Last edited by sSasori on Aug 14, 2014, 1:29:55 AM

"

Ah okay thanks for explaining.
So far I'm leveling with armor/evasion seems to be fine.
I'm using maligaro's as my gloves, seems to be the best choice for the crit and AS + evasion?

Also, heres my tree
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAr-sB0ZuN7YMILgBeGY7TfmJaJJ19df66u-PEotwVp9T-yKGk4dvnVCT9FfA6WAR-hxkF-aOKmyayGTIBz3oi6ujWX-FrJJXp8ELaZN7253Rh4nBS8-oWv4fbcNXAUeOEY0M=

Should I stop where I am at and go back down for the phys + piercing then lethality and Acrobatics clusters before going into the ele dmg nodes and further into witch?

Maligaro's are great, but I couldn't use them and have max resists in merciless, so you *may* need to replace them later. You maybe can use them with two rare rings that have resists + mana regen, but IDK. In my tree, I personally went into lethality pretty early, and I still haven't started the piercing cluster, or finished the Talons of Murder cluster(not sure if worth it, might get % health.) I didn't get acrobatics + phase acrobatics until merc dom, which I recommend you get it by. The passive tree also resets in less than a week, and by first glance this tree looks like it'll get a buff.

"

Maligaro's are great, but I couldn't use them and have max resists in merciless, so you *may* need to replace them later. You maybe can use them with two rare rings that have resists + mana regen, but IDK. In my tree, I personally went into lethality pretty early, and I still haven't started the piercing cluster, or finished the Talons of Murder cluster(not sure if worth it, might get % health.) I didn't get acrobatics + phase acrobatics until merc dom, which I recommend you get it by. The passive tree also resets in less than a week, and by first glance this tree looks like it'll get a buff.

yep, sounds like it will be great. thats the only reason why im messing around with it right now :)

Just got a voll's, im generating the charges, but they dont seems to be being used to refresh the cooldown for my cold snap, any idea why?

edit: nevermind, it does. I was just looking at the cooldown icon showing that it had to refresh, but i got 2 crits in a row and it works :)
Creator
Last edited by sSasori on Aug 14, 2014, 3:49:32 AM
Finally got a better bow with more crit chance, cold dmg and attack speed, loving this build so much
Will you be updating this for 1.2? Would be amazing.

Creator
I'm not sure. I think it's really pretty self-explanatory, for the most part -- take crit and survival nodes, put on Voll's, and gg.

As for defensive stats, I'd focus on pure evasion if you can, since you'll be getting Acrobatics anyway. My mixed stuff is a consequence of being poor/lazy, mostly. As auras, I just run Purity of Elements and Purity of Ice (which frees up some of my gear slots a bit, and raises max cold res so I have a chance to survive ele ref mobs); if I had room for another aura, it'd be Grace.

Really happy to hear that you're having fun with it, though!
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Last edited by SinisterDexter on Aug 17, 2014, 12:53:48 AM
Do you think you could post for the updated tree?

I'm not great with figuring out where to go on there
Creator
I think an updated tree would look something like this, but I haven't tested it so I can't be quite sure.

The new position (and power) of the King of the Hill notable means that you're very close to Iron Reflexes, which you could definitely take instead of the Acrobatics cluster (and which would save you 3 skill points to dump into life elsewhere. It also puts you pretty near the new Revelry notable, which would probably help if you're trying to avoid using Thief's Torment.

This tree also doesn't take either of the available Frenzy nodes, which you might want to grab. There's also a couple of life clusters that I've left on the table and which you may want to get, depending on your gear and play style; the Survivalist cluster is a good candidate to cut in favor of more life, assuming you're doing okay on resists and you don't need the 1% max cold res for reflect.

The 5 nodes between the Shadow start and the Trickery notable are probably the ones I'd get last.

Note that there's basically no strength in the build, so if you want to run a Reduced Mana gem or a meaningful Life Leech or Life Gained on Hit, you'll need to either invest in some strength nodes or make sure to get strength on gear (which shouldn't be too hard, given the new crafting system).

Hope this helps!
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
So in case anyone is interested, here is my variant of this build for 1.2.

My character at level 84 has 3.9k Life and my Crit Chance is 61% without Power Charges, 82.5% with 5 Power Charges. Since I almost constantly have max power charges I don't worry too much about the fact I only have 61% Crit. I am using a 6L Bow which I have my Cold Snap + Ice Spear + GMP + Chain + CoC + LA. In my 5L Voll's Protector I have Cold Snap + Concentrated Effect + Arctic Breath (Going to switch to Ice Spear) + Barrage + CoC. Currently using Frost Wall + Molten Shell + Assasins Mark (Formerly known as Critical Weakness) linked to CWDT. My auras are in my Rat's Nest, I'm using Purity of Ice + Herald of Ice + Reduced Mana + an Empower I'm currently leveling. I've made a level 100 Skill Tree, I helped Oak in Normal and got the +40 Life. Currently considering getting a 6th Power Charge from Alira in Merciless. This build is fine for both solo and parties, however it is pretty squishy if you aren't careful but it clears fast enough that you don't get hit/killed unless you recklessly run into mobs.

Gear

Last edited by PoeJuniiper on Sep 2, 2014, 10:19:12 PM
edit : nothing
Last edited by DarkManda on Sep 8, 2014, 8:33:01 AM
does anyone have a beyond variantof the build they'd like to share?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info