perpetus beartrap question

So my level 70 character just got killed (just ambush) by merciless Perpetus at level 61 because he used bear trap 3 times in 3 seconds for about 1000-1500 damage each. I'm evasion based and have practically no armor/ damage reduction but some 60+% chance to evade + 40% block + 40% dodge against. Can trap damage not be evaded? blocked or dodged? Or did he just get really really lucky and I evaded his other harmless attacks and each of the bear traps happened to get through?
bear trap is a spell. Spell block or spell dodge works
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
"
Can trap damage not be evaded? blocked or dodged?

no it cant. It deals neither attack nor spell damage. Only way to mitigate it is through physical damage reduction. In your case, you need to kite him effectively
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
so if it is a spell with physical damage, I can either spell dodge it (30% for me but completely random so can easily fail 3 times in a row) or spell block it (I don't have any spell block) and otherwise I take the full damage minus armor reduction?
Bear trap also works at range, so even if he is not right next to me, his traps will still hit me, right?
That seems harsh to the point of buggy for ES/ evasion based characters.
The traps take a moment to arm once they are dropped, so you do have a chance to move. They do become invisible once armed though, so you have to remember where they were dropped. Perpetus is tough for most characters questing through. Since it is physical damage, Immortal call is also an option. Once you get more life and leech/life gain on hit, you should be able to take the bear trap damage and regain the life back quick enough as you damage him.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Jun 11, 2014, 11:58:55 AM
To prevent being chain-trapped to death, it's a good idea to have a movement Skill slotted. Bear Trap prevents 'movement' as in 'walking'. It does not prevent Skills such as Whirling Blades or Lightning Warp.
"
kaarelo wrote:
bear trap is a spell. Spell block or spell dodge works

Bear Traps don't deal spell damage, so cannot be spell blocked or spell dodged.
So to summarize:
-bear trap damage (or any trap damage) cannot be evaded, dodged or blocked, nor spell dodged/blocked
-it is reduced by armor
-Bear trap prevents movement, but can be avoided by using movement skills if you notice it fast enough, traps are visible for a 'short' time according to the wiki, I think it is less than a second, so you need to quite quick to do that, especially if you use lightning warp which has an additional delay time
-traps can be destroyed by area of effect damage and have only 1 hitpoint, although they cannot be targeted directly

I suspect the last way is how most characters avoid being killed by perpetus, essentially any area of effect skill that triggers close enough to the char will destroy all traps around him.
I think this explains why my particular build with pure evasion and spec throw for damage is screwed by perpetus but most builds will hardly ever see his traps in action.
"
quarague wrote:
So to summarize:
-bear trap damage cannot be evaded, dodged or blocked, nor spell dodged/blocked

Right, because bear trap deals secondary damage (which is one of the four main categories: attack, spell, secondary, DoT).

"
(or any trap damage)

Wrong, traps can also contain attacks and spells, against which all appropriate defenses work. A "trap" isn't really a thing in this context, it's a container for the actual skill that is triggered.

"
-it is reduced by armor

Yes. Armour is a form of defense against physical damage.

"
-Bear trap prevents movement, but can be avoided by using movement skills if you notice it fast enough, traps are visible for a 'short' time according to the wiki, I think it is less than a second, so you need to quite quick to do that, especially if you use lightning warp which has an additional delay time

No. When a bear trap triggers on you, you're immobilized for a duration. During the time you're immobilized, you can still use movement skills, but not walk. You don't have to be "quick" in the way you explained.

"
-traps can be destroyed by area of effect damage and have only 1 hitpoint, although they cannot be targeted directly

Yes. They can also be destroyed by skills with "auto-target" capabilities like arc.
Last edited by Ezhiel on Jun 12, 2014, 6:03:42 AM
leap slam saved my ass many times when i accidentally walked into a trap or one got thrown directly to my feet.

as Ezhiel alreadyw rote: traps can also have spells attached, there is a trap gem.

edit: imho leap slamming away with a trap attached also is one of the funnier animations ingame, just try it out yourself :)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jun 12, 2014, 8:02:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info