Build of the Week: Season 2 Episode 9

"
ninedeadeyes wrote:

If this was facebook I would have 'liked' this :)

I seriously don't understand self found players. If I was a self found player I would build a 'build' around a unique that has already dropped not find a build with certain uniques and then whine about it that you haven't got it

Its like a vegan bodybuilder entering to a normal bodybuilder contest and then whining its not fair because they eat meat, if you choose to disable yourself for whatever reason live with it and don't complain because it makes you sound like a spoiled brat.

Yes, and the irony of all this is: I really didnt got any good weapon self found, but by far the more useful/pretty roll ones was two claws. I gave theses claws to two friends that used it a bit. But like I said, it didnt reached the 300 dps barrier, but at least was the more close I got in self found field.

I didnt got any mace, sword/foil, dagger or axe that got any close of theses two claws. So if the problem is to play self found I would say that I would be better with claws in self found than others weapons..

In end game and uber gear we have only two rare weapons options: daggers and foil, in some cases wands but this is pretty situational one. But this is the game design fault, not a build thing like people are trying to say.

I mean, why would I use a mirrored claw and not a mirrored foil in dual strike? If the damage are too high you just need to leech, and if you one shot urself in reflect dont matter the weapon... And if you dont die and leech dont matter the leech quantity then, damage are higher anyways and will refill you.

I think if we consider a budget build, claws make total sense, would help sustain and like you showed with this build would provide a good dps, fast paced and close combat, which is fun. I totally disagree with the people saying the build are for uber gear. It's not, and even if it was would be a total failure since dont matter the claw, in uber gear we have better options than claw.
Last edited by swib on Jun 11, 2014, 5:17:20 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
ninedeadeyes wrote:

I seriously don't understand self found players. If I was a self found player I would build a 'build' around a unique that has already dropped not find a build with certain uniques and then whine about it that you haven't got it

Its like a vegan bodybuilder entering to a normal bodybuilder contest and then whining its not fair because they eat meat, if you choose to disable yourself for whatever reason live with it and don't complain because it makes you sound like a spoiled brat.

most of the respect I had for you, for maintaining a helpful - even if not too creative or newbie-friendly - build guide (that apparently earned GGG's respect), was lost after reading this.

I'm not here to compete, with anyone.
couldn't do that even if I wanted to, with the way this game is designed.

I'm here, to play a game the way I want to play.
the way I played many games before it - including ones that defined this genre - and will continue playing after it.
the way I play the game Path Of Exile masks itself as: Action Role-Play.

if anything, Path Of Exile is a body-building contest where anything fucking goes, and is actively encouraged, and I'm complaining about being left back simply because we - the self-found players - are the only ones not pumping Steroids 24/7 or just all-out real-money bribing the judges.
no, you know what? it's worse than that: it's as if there's a judge standing at the door outside, saying "clean? get the fuck out of my sight!".
judge's name - in case you are wondering - is RNG.
he won't let you in, the legit way. or just randomly will, regardless if you earned it or not - which is even worse.

but yeah, you wouldn't understand.
you wouldn't even try to understand. because you probably don't give a fuck about that.
you also don't give a fuck about how many people your stupid little post insulted just now.
people who probably put more time, knowledge, effort and yes pure unfiltered skill into this game than you ever did - only to be shown the door by all-mighty judge RNG.

so congrats on your build of the week.
you are playing this fucking filthy trade-mongering RNG-fest the way it's apparently meant to be played, and now you got GGG's official stamp of approval.
that's all. GG.

First thing first...

A) Pumping steroid ( even though done alot in bodybuilding ) is illegal in a competition

B) Bribing judges with money also illegal in a competition

What I am saying is 'trading' is not illegal in the game it is the equivalent of taking protein shake or eating a good diet of meat and veg to help maximise your chance of optimising your build

Regardless of your reason how you want to play the game it is CHOICE. You choose to play it in a way which basically limits the amount of builds unless you play 24/7, 7 days a week.

I will never have sympathy for someone to choose a certain path in life that provides them a disability and then complain about it.

Although I can't remember all the BOTW from the ones I have looked at there is no way in hell you will be able to self found them unless as I said before you play 10000s of hours.

If I was going to play self found, I wouldn't complain, I wouldn't even imagine picking a build from the forum and trying to find everything by self find instead I would build builds around with what I got ( random unique that drop ) that in it self is challenging enough..

People who self find ( which I have no issues with ) then try to build something that cost 100ex and then complains they will never find it, in my most humble opinion are fucking stupid. I have no tolerance for idiots. Its the same real life concept of applying for a high management job with no experience or no qualifications, stop complaining you are not going to get it no matter how 'hardcore' your CV was,

It annoys me this culture of I want 'A B C' but I am not willing to do 'X Y Z' ( for whatever reason ) and thats what I mean people who self find and complain about other people builds being too hard to find, sound like spoiled bratz.

Again I don't have a problem with self finders its a different way to play the game but... Because you are self finding you could not expect to have all the option of a gamer who uses all the options and resources that the game legally provides.

Hey you can play the way the fuck you want, hey some peeps have the mission to complete the game with just blues its cool by me but don't complain about it when builds aren't compatible with your playing philosophy. Its like religion, you have your way and I have mine but don't try to complain when my 'cake' isn't compatible with your religious doctrine. The normal thing to do is smile ,decline and walk away.

But interestingly enough if you are really that passionate of 'self find' why don't you try building some builds around 'self find' players rather asking normal players to compensate for you.

Ironically my build actually one of those that can be played as self found but this is
an interesting debate regardless, lol

and yes I am so sorry for playing it the way the game was intended and not crippling myself to play in a fashion that resemble more of a single player action rpg, lol

Its a bit like football where the other team has chopped their legs off by choice to make it harder for themselves and expect me to chop my legs off ? Hell no, I respect there choice, and will play the game following all the rules whilst maximising my chance to win by using my environment and skills and if they complain about it after they lose then really its noone fault aside from their own and as i said before they just sound like fucking idiots.

ps: The RNG God in this game is a bastard !! I acknowledge this a loong time ago hence why for me to stay motivated to play and upgrade I trade. I think I would have definitely given up if I was self found player trying to build a dual claw build as high level as mine, it doesn't motivate me at all with the RNG in this game. Oddly have you ever consider the fact that GGG has made it that way because it was never intended to be played like a single player action rpg ? Food for thought.
Last edited by ninedeadeyes on Jun 11, 2014, 6:48:41 PM
"
ander357 wrote:
The BOTW is cool. congrats to ninedeadeyes. I personally could care less if the build is innovative enough or uses the right combination of non-overpowered gear to be impressive...the destination is the journey.

Cheers man :)
 It's interesting that Chris makes a note of the build requiring a high level rare unique chest to function properly. That pretty well sums up the essence of PoE. You farm pretty much forever (over 1000 hours) to acquire enough wealth to buy a high level 6 link unique chest and then create a build around it. Obviously some one had to get lucky and get a high level rare to drop in the first place and then some one then had to sink enough fusings into it to get a 6 link. Since it is well under .1% chance of that happening unless you slave on PoE for all your free time or you are a commodity flipper and only play the trading game (which is excruciatingly boring at best and a PoE.xyz nightmare most of the time... that's right, I and millions quit D3 in 2012 because of their auction house ruining the thrill of the in-game great drops because the rate was so super low... so GGG duplicates that failure here... insane) all these showcased builds are only for the 1% or 2% PoE hardcore elitists. If GGG persists in this catering to the top 1 or 2 percent then it'll surely be the death of them.

I watched tonights "Through the Wormhole" (great series by the way) and at one point Morgan talks about people who use the Internet for more than 10 hours a day having up to a 10% shrinking of their brain functions as if they had contracted a brain disease. If these people are cut off from the Internet they can experience withdrawal symptoms the same as drug addicts. Now that's an addiction. Some PoE players are addicts by that time definition. So what is GGG doing with PoE? Equating massive amounts of time required playing PoE to get your hands on a great unique (not that anyone wants a walk in the park arpg either but there is a middle ground) as hardcore and somehow twisting that and brainwashing the top players into thinking that is fun, while simultaneously jeopardizing everyones health. Something is seriously wrong here and... oh crap... my bipolar view of PoE is flaring up again.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jun 12, 2014, 12:07:49 AM
"
ninedeadeyes wrote:

A) Pumping steroid ( even though done a lot in bodybuilding ) is illegal in a competition

B) Bribing judges with money also illegal in a competition

shows you completely and utterly didn't get my point.

and you calling self-found players "whiners" is what blew my damn fuse off - and here you go repeating that again.

@Arrowneous, the people you speak of are not the "hardcore elitists".
"hardcore elitist" or "1%" are the people who are willing to actually play this game 24/7 for thousands upon thousands of hours, and have the will and the skill to take up any challenge.
I know some of those, and the funny thing is many of them still don't have the kind of gear ninedeadeyes presented in his build.

"the 1%" are the hardcore aRPG fanatics - who have been here for a long time - who look at all these new guys showing off their mirrored, top-unique/rare BiS gears, and bitterly smile.

so, how do you get such gear?
simple: you trade 24/7 instead of playing. and you RMT a bit to get what you want.
an open door to everything, instead of the one sealed-shut by RNG.

"the 1%" are the bodybuilders who have been training all day every day for years, only to see that in this competition - where anything goes and Steroids are completely fucking legal and encouraged - all their effort is meaningless, @ninedeadeyes.
some get sent back home right at the door by supreme judge RNG, while a select few are actually allowed in - and not because they are better than those sent home, or trained harder.
they are allowed in only because RNG felt like it, but they don't care. they are happy.
you won't complain about judge RNG when he let you enter the competition, now would you?

well I would.
Judge RNG completely randomly gave me stuff like
THIS
from a simple Scour-Alch.
did I EARN it? hell no.
random reward, and random stick up the ass.
content randomly gated by randomness.
that's what this game is about - and I'm sick of that.

but you know, you posting such a build then making a "budget" version that "costs" "only" 10 Exalted Orbs to make - are not to blame here.
hell, I myself have a claw shadow build posted, that has pretty expensive gear in flea-market terms - so I'm as guilty as you are, and many others too.

Chris is to blame here, for going ahead and picking your build as BOTW.
why? because that says something to the new players coming in.
it says "pump dem fucking Steroids!".
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jun 12, 2014, 3:02:14 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 It's interesting that Chris makes a note of the build requiring a high level rare unique chest to function properly. That pretty well sums up the essence of PoE. You farm pretty much forever (over 1000 hours) to acquire enough wealth to buy a high level 6 link unique chest and then create a build around it. Obviously some one had to get lucky and get a high level rare to drop in the first place and then some one then had to sink enough fusings into it to get a 6 link. Since it is well under .1% chance of that happening unless you slave on PoE for all your free time or you are a commodity flipper and only play the trading game (which is excruciatingly boring at best and a PoE.xyz nightmare most of the time... that's right, I and millions quit D3 in 2012 because of their auction house ruining the thrill of the in-game great drops because the rate was so super low... so GGG duplicates that failure here... insane) all these showcased builds are only for the 1% or 2% PoE hardcore elitists. If GGG persists in this catering to the top 1 or 2 percent then it'll surely be the death of them.

A) Not quite in theory my build can be self found by crafting a couple of
high physical damage claw and finding a 5 link which you should do if you spend 200 to 300 hours or do a bit of crafting but even if you buy these items it should cost you roughly around
2gcp and 12 chaos.

B) I have a pretty extensive alternative budget section for my guide which generally people should be able to afford. If you can't you are either self found or I question if you even put in 100 hours into this game

C) It has only taken me 700 hours to get majority of my gear which if you spread out over a year isn't that much ( I generally play around 1000 hours for most rpgs ) Generally speaking i work 37 hours a week and my gf ban me from playing the weekend when she is about. The only 'hardcore' thing I have done is take 2 or 3 days holidays and just completely went no life mode.

D) Diablo 3 what irritated everyone off was the real money auction house but now they remove trading all together they have increase the drop rate.

E) I didn't find trading to be that difficult as most people.. You put up a shop or if you are soloing I just use the message board to sell a good unique or two. Sometimes when I am doing something else like watching something or eating I might watch the trade channel but it was something you can multi task to do.

I actually quite enjoy going on POE XYZ, its like real life shopping but you are not spending any 'real' money

Conclusion : In actual fact my build is very beginners friendly but that doesn't mean I will have beginners equipment since I will continue upgrading if I can.

I have created a progression guide 1 to 100 points detailing what equipment/gems you will need to acquire from quests and if needs to be by trading and as my review section showed my guide is very viable and doesn't cater to the 1%. I have helped many players and got many players positive feedback even though might not reach level 90 have used the playing style of my build. The only other thing I have to say is that the reason why it feels like it because it is generally the top 10% I'll say who creates these guides rather than your more 100 to 200 hours players because if you sink in 700 hours in a build you are going to be pretty knowledgeable in it as well have pretty good gear :)
"
johnKeys wrote:

shows you completely and utterly didn't get my point.

and you calling self-found players "whiners" is what blew my damn fuse off - and here you go repeating that again.

@Arrowneous, the people you speak of are not the "hardcore elitists".
"hardcore elitist" or "1%" are the people who are willing to actually play this game 24/7 for thousands upon thousands of hours, and have the will and the skill to take up any challenge.
I know some of those, and the funny thing is many of them still don't have the kind of gear ninedeadeyes presented in his build.

"the 1%" are the hardcore aRPG fanatics - who have been here for a long time - who look at all these new guys showing off their mirrored, top-unique/rare BiS gears, and bitterly smile.

so, how do you get such gear?
simple: you trade 24/7 instead of playing. and you RMT a bit to get what you want.
an open door to everything, instead of the one sealed-shut by RNG.

"the 1%" are the bodybuilders who have been training all day every day for years, only to see that in this competition - where anything goes and Steroids are completely fucking legal and encouraged - all their effort is meaningless, @ninedeadeyes.
some get sent back home right at the door by supreme judge RNG, while a select few are actually allowed in - and not because they are better than those sent home, or trained harder.
they are allowed in only because RNG felt like it, but they don't care. they are happy.
you won't complain about judge RNG when he let you enter the competition, now would you?

but you know, you posting such a build then making a "budget" version that "costs" "only" 10 Exalted Orbs to make - are not to blame here.
hell, I myself have a claw shadow build posted, that has pretty expensive gear in flea-market terms - so I'm as guilty as you are, and many others too.

Dude anyone who 'complains' when the solution can be easily solve is a whiner in my opinion. If you don't want to have such a hard life in POE an 'online ARPG' start trading or just continue playing Diablo 2 if you want a proper 'single player ARPG' experience

To be honest if you play 1000s and 1000s of hours of 'self found' I doubt you will have the gear that I have .. Hell I only spent 700 hours in one year to get my gear. Although majority of my gear it was between 85 to 90 level and once I got my MF gear it was a snow ball effect.

There you go accuse others of using RMT, just because of your inefficient player philosophy. In a way i can relate because sometimes I suspicious of people who hordes 100s of ex but then again i think if you no life the game and play like the game like it should be then its possible.

Hahaha.. in the competitive world of body building everyone use steriods but if you use it in front of the judge face you will be disqualified ( in the uk , I am not too sure where you are from if it is legal)

And if you are looking up builds, seeing what others do and getting jealous instead of attempting to create on your own, then this game isn't for you.

"
Arrowneous wrote:

I watched tonights "Through the Wormhole" (great series by the way) and at one point Morgan talks about people who use the Internet for more than 10 hours a day having up to a 10% shrinking of their brain functions as if they had contracted a brain disease. If these people are cut off from the Internet they can experience withdrawal symptoms the same as drug addicts. Now that's an addiction. Some PoE players are addicts by that time definition. So what is GGG doing with PoE? Equating massive amounts of time required playing PoE to get your hands on a great unique (not that anyone wants a walk in the park arpg either but there is a middle ground) as hardcore and somehow twisting that and brainwashing the top players into thinking that is fun, while simultaneously jeopardizing everyones health. Something is seriously wrong here and... oh crap... my bipolar view of PoE is flaring up again.
"
johnKeys wrote:

Yes, Chris are the one to blame, I dont like this RNG too. But dude, a 10 exalted build are a budget version too.

If you have to find exactly 10 exalted, then yes, that's pretty hard. But if you trade your alterations/chrom/fuses, no, it's not, and you can get it somehow quick.

I consider trading MY alterations/chrom/fuses self found. It's just that NPC dont sell the f***** exalted, if he could, would be the same thing.

The value of the exalted are estimated in a 6 link armour. You would spend like 20~30exalted in fusing to do a 6link. So alterations can reach fuses, and you calculate that in value. You still are bounded to RNG even if you trade alterations in exalted.

And to do that you just need the drops and scroll of wisdom. Play a lot, do that and you will have 10 exalted easily, I played like 3~4 full days and got 7 exalted worth in fusing.

PS.: Not saying that 10 exalted are easy in this game. Like I said play A LOT and then it will come somehow easily.
Last edited by swib on Jun 12, 2014, 12:17:03 PM
@Swib,

some people could even consider a 100-Exalt build to be "budget". for them.
that's not the point.

the point is bodybuilders who choose to not take Steroids, even though those are allowed and indeed actively encouraged, in this "competition".

well I'm *almost* one.
I played this game since the start of Open Beta. must be close to 2000 hours spent in-game by now. I took some of dem trade Steroids a couple of times because RNG relentlessly screws me over, but I try my very best not to.

I have no clue what a 6-linked item looks like.
I only ever found about 4 Exalted Orbs. about 1 every 500 hours on average.
my total of orbs right now, is roughly 5 Exalts. in all leagues combined.
depleting fast, because fuck me I'm still stupid enough to gamble ("craft") with them, instead of just hoarding - since my characters require it.
and I often get screwed at that, because RNG is fucking RNG.
yeah this game has a ton of it. everywhere. layered one on top of the other in a perfect clusterfuck.

so, 10 Exalts come easily, huh?

and yes, I do eat peanuts from dumpsters - a.k.a use the utterly insulting "vendor recipes" this game has.
gain that 1 Chaos or Regal, from juggling Tetris between my packed-to-the-brim 4 pathetic stash tabs, switching characters like a mad man.
soup for the poor. busting my ass for every teaspoon of it.

my gear is probably worth a couple dozen Exalts at this point - mostly because "legacy" - but I'll never sell anything.
I use it.
I'm here to kill monsters and build characters, not sit in trade chat all day pumping dem Steroids.
I'm here to do crazy challenges, if only supreme god RNG would generously grant me passage to them, and as if beating those challenges actually meant something in terms of reward.
risk/reward.

trade is not a mandatory feature in aRPG. it shouldn't be.
but it sure as hell is, in Path Of Exile.
and when Chris says "here's your Build Of The Week" on something that requires a fucking truckload of dem virtual Steroid dollars - what kind of message do you think it sends the new guys joining the game?

I'll tell you: they think they can actually get there based on their own skill as monster-slaying adventurers.
poor suckers.
they'll eventually give up and quit, or become trade-o-holics, or fuel the damn RMT machine.
not everyone is as fucking dim-witted as I am, to continue this self-imposed torture.

look at me, new guys.
this is what really happens. 2 thousand hours of my life, playing through all the content and challenges I could get to, and I feel like I achieved nothing in this game.
Hardcore Action RPG my ass.
now go scam-trade and give money to shady Chinese bot-lords.
you'll get what I couldn't in years, in mere minutes.

Chris I hope you are reading this. loving this, I bet.
I'm sure you'll pick that 100-Exalt "budget build" I mentioned, as the next BOTW.
that's what you wanted all along.

that's right: this is me calling you out on your decisions, Chris. on what this game is.
what you made it to be.
I'm not afraid to get banned for it. hell, that might actually cure my masochistic mental illness.
I'm not afraid to be put on your "black list" and get "7 years of bad RNG" because hell, I already had more than a year of that.

you said you wanted to make a "hardcore, old-school Action RPG" right? well this game spits "Action RPG" in the face. and it spits in my face, and the face of everyone who ever played and "fanboyed" role-playing games half as long as I did.

a shame really, because you did so many things so brilliantly right: passives, skill and support gems, story, NPCs, item design...
but then you just had to go and screw everything else with Guinness-record RNG and suffocating, ripoff-and-RMT-encouraging "economy", didn't you?
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jun 13, 2014, 12:39:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info