Flame Surge

Just hopped on my Flame Surge Berserk Witch to test the changes and i love the AoE and cast speed increase!

But there is a problem with the mana cost since it wasn't adjusted properly to the new, much faster cast speed. While the cast speed has been increases by 60%, the mana cost has only been reduced by 20-25%.
In other words: while Flame Surge used to start with a mana cost of 15/sec at character level 19, it now starts with 18 mana/sec - at character level 12 (if i remember correctly).

Build Specific:
Even before, the mana cost was nothing trivial and had to be worked around to be able to run a 5L busing EB. With now almost 380 mana/second casting cost combined with the reduction of Clarity and the Eldritch Battery change, which makes it much harder to get beyond 200 mana/sec regen, it is now impossible to sustain for more than 1-2 seconds from full mana.
I don't see how anyone could ever hope to sustain that cost in a 6L, even with a significant investment in mana regen, Elreon jewellery and reduced mana cost from passives!

Conclusion:
A reduction of the mana cost to 7 mana @ lvl 1 to 19-20 mana @ lvl 19 would seem more than appropriate in my opinion.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
So I am extremely new to poe only a few characters in and my furthest hc character died in act 4. However considering all of my characters have used this skill I had to put my 2 cents in. Now im a solo player I'm sure thats inefficient in late game but I plan on staying a solo player. Due to this my primary strategy revolves around elemental equilibrium... WAIT! I know most of you are yelling "NOOB" in your head but hear me out. So I use EE with flame surge and freezing pulse. Couple that with flame dash to ignite bosses and you have some seriously nice damage output very early on. Clarity is a bit of a must or some reduced mana cost/mana regen nodes. FS starts to be quite mana heavy later on. It does have a small length increase with inc. Aoe gem, but I'd recommend conc effect since it doesn't really effect it at all. And it's definitely for tankier characters considering its range:)
Wanted to test Flame Surge last league, but didnt do it.

When I planned a build for the upcoming league I remembered why I didnt realize it last time - 40% more mana cost than Freezing Pulse ?

If you dont want us to use it why is it there ?

Please let us use something else than Incinerate for a tiny bit of diversity.
When Chuck Norris plays PoE masters do his missions
Last edited by AdFinitum on Nov 1, 2015, 7:02:25 PM
As other people said, I also think that the mana cost of Flame Surge in this version is too high.

In version 2.0.0, the cast time reduced to 0.5s from 0.8s but the mana cost has no change.
The mana cost of level 20 Flame Surge is now 26/0.5 = 52 mana/sec.
If I want to play with this skill, I think I must link it to Reduced Mana in this version.

So, I hope the mana cost of Flame Surge to be adjusted.
Last edited by peterho0218 on Jan 5, 2016, 2:54:55 AM
"
Waves_blade wrote:
"
waraw wrote:

"
Sound is extremely unsatisfying to use, sounds like I'm slapping someone with a wet washcloth.

Cannot unhear, sigh. I like the skill, though.

I'm sorry

The sound is friggin awful please change. I cant use this gem in my build cuz of this.
Just wanted to add I'd even be willing to pay a microtransaction for sound change...
Hey Jess_GGG my main thing with flamesurge would be that it needs more of a buff. It may have high damage but its radius and such just kill the skill late game. Honestly IMO I believe that you should make projectile support gems work on the skill and widen or lengthen the AOE out a bit. I love the skill but it can only be used early on, I would someday like to make a flamesurge build and just play through with it.
Another useless skill like Elemental Hit.

To turn Flame Surge usefull this gem should have a "chain" implicit attribute like the Arc Skill.

Then it should turn in a powerfull skill.
when using intesify and stacking it up, it doesn't increase tooltip dps
Flame surge still does not gain bonuses from intensity stacks when supported by intensify support.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info