[Official] WINE info thread

"
julus wrote:
"
ionface wrote:
Oh for everyone with the text glitch problem, try updating your microcode if you haven't, my problem went away after I did a CPU and BIOS upgrade. I use an Intel i7 processor and microcode-ctl which loads the microcode at boot. I use the latest microcode.dat, 20120606-​v2 from 10/1/2012.

Little bit overkill, when only thing needed, is NOT to install the game, but copy it... (setup.msi corrupts the fonts)

Ahh, rereading the last few pages... Good to know.

The reason I mentioned it might be fixed by the microcode update is that before my CPU and bios update, the NX-bit protection toggled on would corrupt those fonts.

So I have no idea how wine mimics windows DLLs, how buffer protections work with that, or how these fancy rendered fonts work really, I just know the test which fixed it here. I'm very glad we have narrowed it down. Now what? Does anyone want to spend time debugging it since the workaround works?
"
ionface wrote:
"
julus wrote:
"
ionface wrote:
Oh for everyone with the text glitch problem, try updating your microcode if you haven't, my problem went away after I did a CPU and BIOS upgrade. I use an Intel i7 processor and microcode-ctl which loads the microcode at boot. I use the latest microcode.dat, 20120606-​v2 from 10/1/2012.

Little bit overkill, when only thing needed, is NOT to install the game, but copy it... (setup.msi corrupts the fonts)

Ahh, rereading the last few pages... Good to know.

The reason I mentioned it might be fixed by the microcode update is that before my CPU and bios update, the NX-bit protection toggled on would corrupt those fonts.

So I have no idea how wine mimics windows DLLs, how buffer protections work with that, or how these fancy rendered fonts work really, I just know the test which fixed it here. I'm very glad we have narrowed it down. Now what? Does anyone want to spend time debugging it since the workaround works?

Well, I think the setup installs d3dx9_42 dll (maybe overwrites it?), when I was using winetricks gui, it was marked as installed... I will play with it a little bit more on a mac, as it is a little bit easier to find cause, because of the wrapping system. (but regression testing is a hell :). When I find the cause, I will update my bug at winehq.
One thing I noticed last night, and I haven't narrowed it down yet, is that after fixing my fonts, my game actually performs a bit more poorly.

I get a little tearing on my gfx ingame, where it appears to not refresh as quickly. It feels a bit more laggy getting around 50 FPS rather than around 110 as I was getting before, and I notice significant stutter when encountering boss/elite/rare creature with new effects.

so currently, if it is the difference between having messed up fonts with a 110FPS flawless performance game, or having perfect fonts with 50FPS/stutters, i'm going to choose to go back to messed up fonts.

I'm hoping that with some more testing tonight, I might be able to get the FPS/Stutter issue resolved AND keep the pretty fonts. We'll see. I'll update again when I have more information.
"
n0rg wrote:
Strange, i updated to wine 1.5.24 and still got the freezes :/

Did you remember to re-apply the openal fix?

1.5.24 only fixes the memory leak.
"
Drakier wrote:
One thing I noticed last night, and I haven't narrowed it down yet, is that after fixing my fonts, my game actually performs a bit more poorly.

I get a little tearing on my gfx ingame, where it appears to not refresh as quickly. It feels a bit more laggy getting around 50 FPS rather than around 110 as I was getting before, and I notice significant stutter when encountering boss/elite/rare creature with new effects.

so currently, if it is the difference between having messed up fonts with a 110FPS flawless performance game, or having perfect fonts with 50FPS/stutters, i'm going to choose to go back to messed up fonts.

I'm hoping that with some more testing tonight, I might be able to get the FPS/Stutter issue resolved AND keep the pretty fonts. We'll see. I'll update again when I have more information.

Let us know, I'm certainly interested in performance tweaks - I still get severe lag around bosses - Piety kills me easily simply because I can't move due to her spell effects causing the stutters - it's just silly.
"
Sovyn wrote:
Let us know, I'm certainly interested in performance tweaks - I still get severe lag around bosses - Piety kills me easily simply because I can't move due to her spell effects causing the stutters - it's just silly.

Well at least I know there is hope. I had it running on my system before really well, and this stutter is a new development since tweaking with it. So I should be able to get my system back to the way it was before at some point. And hopefully whatever I can to do get it back to working well on my system, also works for others.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

Well at least I know there is hope. I had it running on my system before really well, and this stutter is a new development since tweaking with it. So I should be able to get my system back to the way it was before at some point. And hopefully whatever I can to do get it back to working well on my system, also works for others.

Maybe there was a performance difference between Wine 1.5.6 and 1.5.24.

I stuttered with both though.

I suppose you could try the amd64 version too, but I have no idea if that would work, I'd have to actually try it. Maybe later.
About the lag, well I've done a analyze on osx, and maybe the second and third part is affecting linux too:

profile analyze of summon skeleton (statue modification)

As seen from picture below the lag has 3 phases on osx
1) OSX mmap bug - This one should not apply for linux users at all. (but it is causing lag on osx)
2) Shader loading and assembly.. actually there might be a bottleneck on linux to. Graphic driver (function gldUpdateDispatch - internal call to resynchronize OpenGL state) this should be improvable by optimizing game (or wine?) - and this is causing lag, might be different system call on linux, but wine function should be the same...
3) coffee break - no, seriously, I don't have a clue where the cycles went.... last call before it seems like it was from game, and after it it was rendering...

maybe someone can launch the game on high textures. begin sampling with oprofile (GLSL enabled), and cast summon skeletons (huge lag guaranteed) and if the same function will be the culprit, then we can possibly open bug report at wine. (I can't use mine proof, because wine devs does not like to accepts OSX bug reports)

image of lag analysis on osx

Last edited by julus on Feb 18, 2013, 4:43:26 PM
OK... after getting home, I installed d3dx11_43 and d3dx9_43 via winetricks, and my lag issue has gone away, as has my font issue.

So my font is still working properly, and my FPS seems to be back up to what it was before without the screen tearing, stutter, etc.

ymmv

I have no idea if the d3dx11 stuff is needed at all, or if it was just the d3dx9_43 that did it.
Last edited by Drakier on Feb 18, 2013, 5:06:48 PM
"
julus wrote:
maybe someone can launch the game on high textures. begin sampling with oprofile (GLSL enabled), and cast summon skeletons (huge lag guaranteed) and if the same function will be the culprit, then we can possibly open bug report at wine. (I can't use mine proof, because wine devs does not like to accepts OSX bug reports)

I'd be happy to help but have no idea how to use oprofile. I guess I'll have to read up on that!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info