[Official] WINE info thread

"
sirdond wrote:
"
xtertristl wrote:
Hey All I've been trying to switch over to Linux full time and POE is one of the games I've been struggling with. I've tried it installed through Steam and it works great except for one thing I live in Korea and I need to use a VPN as I'm foreigner and don't want to move my account to the Korean Servers.

So I'd like to know how to install the stand alone version of the game through wine or Lutris and still use proton as ... my emulator ... not sure what it is to be exact.

I've also tried the stand alone installer from Lutris but the performance is terrible.

I've searched through the forums here and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for probably because whenever I google Linux installs it's mostly use Steam or use Lutris.

Ultimately I'd love to be able to run the stand alone version of the game in wine with proton but I'm open to suggestions on how to do this. Can anybody point me in the direction of the information that I'm looking for or provide the assistance to help a new Linux user out.

Specs.
OS. Manjaro (latest)
Ryzen 1700x
Nvidia Geforce 1070
RAM 16gb
SSD 512gb

Why do you want to run PoE through Steam by all means? Not sure it's possible if the game is also available on steam, but never tried it.

I'm not set on steam I'd be perfectly fine running it through Lutris or a separate wine installer but the performance I see on Steam Proton compared to the Lutris installer are night and day.

I'm a little lost on where to start with custom wine installs. The first post on this thread hasn't been updated in 7 years but it seems like the post is active are there any guides buried in the reply pages for new Linux users?
Last edited by xtertristl on Jun 22, 2020, 5:09:52 AM
"
xtertristl wrote:

I'm not set on steam I'd be perfectly fine running it through Lutris or a separate wine installer but the performance I see on Steam Proton compared to the Lutris installer are night and day.

I'm a little lost on where to start with custom wine installs. The first post on this thread hasn't been updated in 7 years but it seems like the post is active are there any guides buried in the reply pages for new Linux users?

Well, the first post is really outdated and I agree, there should a page or post with actual and updated information at any time for new linux players.
Currently, the optimal way to play the game on linux is scattered around a dozen pages back from here.

If you don't need Steam and you have no issues with Vulkan (and seeing your specs you should not have any issue), then it's really simple.

1. Install the Nvidia video driver package, the Vulkan package and wine-staging on your linux distro (and all the requirements of course, but if you use a popular distro, then that's not an issue).
2. Create a clean,new wine prefix for PoE (64bit is preferred, but not required afaik)
3. Download installer from this site and install game inside the wine prefix you've created in prev step
4. cd into game directory start the game from commandline with: "WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.poe37 wine PathOfExile_x64.exe" (you can easily create a desktop file for later launches)
5. Change to Vulkan renderer in game and that's it. You are good to go.

But, this only works if you can use the Vulkan renderer, else it's much more complicated (and I can't summarize it in a few steps), although far from impossible.
"
sirdond wrote:
"
xtertristl wrote:

Well, the first post is really outdated and I agree, there should a page or post with actual and updated information at any time for new linux players.
Currently, the optimal way to play the game on linux is scattered around a dozen pages back from here.

If you don't need Steam and you have no issues with Vulkan (and seeing your specs you should not have any issue), then it's really simple.

1. Install the Nvidia video driver package, the Vulkan package and wine-staging on your linux distro (and all the requirements of course, but if you use a popular distro, then that's not an issue).
2. Create a clean,new wine prefix for PoE (64bit is preferred, but not required afaik)
3. Download installer from this site and install game inside the wine prefix you've created in prev step
4. cd into game directory start the game from commandline with: "WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.poe37 wine PathOfExile_x64.exe" (you can easily create a desktop file for later launches)
5. Change to Vulkan renderer in game and that's it. You are good to go.

But, this only works if you can use the Vulkan renderer, else it's much more complicated (and I can't summarize it in a few steps), although far from impossible.

Perfect this is what I was looking for. When setting up the new staging other than changing to Windows 10 from 7 is there anything else I need to configure?

is the "WINEPREFIX=~/.poe37" specific to your install and I should change it to my specific installation?
Last edited by xtertristl on Jun 22, 2020, 7:29:47 AM
"
xtertristl wrote:

Perfect this is what I was looking for. When setting up the new staging other than changing to Windows 10 from 7 is there anything else I need to configure?

is the "WINEPREFIX=~/.poe37" specific to your install and I should change it to my specific installation?

Nothing extra needed to be configured in winecfg.

Yeah, ".poe37" is specific to me, I use this same prefix since 3.7, you can name your prefix however you want, but that should be the same which you've created in the earlier step.
Last edited by sirdond on Jun 22, 2020, 8:20:33 AM
Game has been running perfect for me with Vulkan and the AMDVLK driver.

Easiest way to set it up is to download and install latest stable release of Proton GE and make the game run with that in Steam.

No more arguments or special configurations.

If you have an old graphics card set "Shadows + GI" to low or even disable global illumination altogether and you should be fine.
Last edited by SUNRA3000 on Jun 23, 2020, 2:41:09 AM
Last edited by internetTOUGHGUY123 on Dec 30, 2020, 12:49:57 AM
So, according to Chris Wilson in the recent ZiggyD interview (source), there is a huge Vulkan patch in the making with a bunch of improvements. Let's hope they can push it out before the new league launch, because it sounds promising!
Hey guys,

been a while since I played, is there an up to date guide to make this work on Linux?
"
ToriVega wrote:
I don't know what they did but my screen is covered in artifacts to the point of the game being unplayable. Map doesn't render at all. Fiddling with options doesn't help. FPS are great tho.

I have the same problem with the map not rendering and sometimes also artifacts and missing models/textures.
At the start of Harvest everything was fine for me, the problems appeared later with one of the updates.

The strange thing is, when I restart PoE a few times, sometimes everything works and I can play just fine until I restart it again. I have the feeling it takes more and more restarts lately though.

What I found out with the map not rendering, is when you toggle the graphics setting from "Windowed Fullscreen" to "Fullscreen" and back again, the map will render correctly. But when you enter the next zone it will be gone again.
"
acylus wrote:
Hey guys,

been a while since I played, is there an up to date guide to make this work on Linux?

There's not much configuring you have to do anymore since Vulkan. You can basically just run "wine PathOfExile_x64.exe" and try it out.

The only thing that comes to mind right now is that if you have an AMD GPU you need to use the AMDVLK driver and not the Mesa one. PoE tries to load some renderer extension without checking if it exists and Wine crashes in the current stable Mesa driver. That's how I recall it at least, correct me if I'm wrong :D
Last edited by flip10000 on Sep 6, 2020, 7:50:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info