[Official] WINE info thread

while that would technically work, it's not strictly what i meant.

one of the reasons why i want to learn the series of commands that lutris runs is to understand better what the difference between that and my normal way of starting through wine is, to know why one works and one doesn't
You can always look into the Lutris script to see what workaround it is using to install the game

but from what I recall, dxvk, msxml6 and vcrun2015 (maybe d3decompiler_47 but not sure of this is still necessary) via winetricks

there should not be a special command running the game, workarounds are usually done before the installation by creating the wineprefix

and you can do anything Lutris does via Terminal (or q4wine, or PlayOnLinux)
Last edited by kodosderhenker on Jan 31, 2019, 3:46:27 PM
I have been struggling to make PoE work on my MX Linux machine.

System: Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18_x64 Continuum Dec 20 2018
base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

CPU: Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-7500T bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Kaby Lake
rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 21696
Speed: 901 MHz min/max: 800/3300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 929 2: 907 3: 940 4: 905
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 390.87
bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87
direct render: Yes

I cannot seem to get DXVK to work.
I tried following this guide:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9x47or/guide_getting_path_of_exiledx11_to_run_smoothly/

And I can get the game going, but it won't let me enable DXVK, if I check that box, it gets auto unchecked when I save.

When I run the game, it does let me run in DX11, but all 3D rendering is horrible, and the same terrible lag is there, that I get in DX9.

I even tried a wine 4.0, because it uses Vulcan without DXVK, but it did not do any better.
Update:
I updated my nvidia drivers to 4.15.23
(A surprisingly tricky update.)

That along with Wine version tkg-4.0-x86_64 has made VAST improvements.

I can now enable DVXK in Lutris.

It no longer makes the 3D portion of the screen look terrible.
The frame rate is GREAT, mostly, 50-100 FPS....

BUT...

There are still 1 second lag spikes, quite often, which is character death in many situations. Frame rate drops to near 0 during those spikes.

I am so close.

Any suggestions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTZOUK2EYc&feature=youtu.be

Under Section Screen
Option "metamodes" "CONNECTOR: nvidia-auto-select 0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } "

Under Section Device
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

Enabling triple buffer fixed my very slow load time and stuffers when new stuff is being loaded.

Does your nvidia config file have these in them? I had to add to mine
"
Chadwixx wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frTZOUK2EYc&feature=youtu.be

Under Section Screen
Option "metamodes" "CONNECTOR: nvidia-auto-select 0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } "

Under Section Device
Option "TripleBuffer" "1"

Enabling triple buffer fixed my very slow load time and stuffers when new stuff is being loaded.

Does your nvidia config file have these in them? I had to add to mine

Thank you for this.
I tried it, and got some small improvement.
I still have enough stuttering to make my toon stand in the fire and die when it happens at the wrong time.

I am guessing the problem is with DXVK or Vulcan, but that's just a guess.

Others report the massive stuttering goes away once those are working properly.

Anybody else with some ideas?
Update:
Lutris posted a new PoE with DXVK
Wine posted a new version, wine-tkg 4.1

I did a clean install of the new Lutris PoE
I installed the new 4.1 wine.

Result....

Much better performance.
I am still getting stuttering, but much less.
And the memory leakage seems to be gone.

I guess if I wait long enough, newer versions will fix my problems completely?
You might also want to look at your Desktop environment/window manager/compositor settings.

I myself am using XFCE and I get the best performance with the display compositor disabled. It eliminated a lot of lag for me. (+ vsync setting disabled in PoE)
So, after a couple months, I reinstalled POE using wine.

Works very nicely using wine staging 4.1 & dxvk but I'm facing one issue:

When changing the game language, the text on buttons disappears. Switching back to english solves the issue si this doesn't look like a font issue.

Is it WINE specific? Are there known solutions?

*edit*
After testing with a couple other languages, this seems specific to french.
Nothing particular in the Wine and game log files.
Last edited by kelda_ on Feb 13, 2019, 6:40:51 AM
For the people running into frequent stuttering under DX11, one easy to overlook thing is setting your CPU frequency governor to performance mode. I used to just skip it when following guides because hey, Linux does have an on-demand governor that scales frequency up and down as needed, right? Well, yes, but it turns out it's really conservative when throttling up and way too liberal when throttling down, so setting it to performance when gaming really does wonders to your performance in some games.

There are a few tools out there to tune that, but I personally use cpupower.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info