[Official] WINE info thread

No luck here - couldn't get the DX11 to work. I installed dxvk (both through their installer and tried with winetricks), but I get the dreaded "Failed to build WIC factory" or something like that.

Most of the complaints I get when running in DX9 are about memory of some sort. "Bad allocation" in game, other times in wine: "err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory", etc. Plus certain things won't appear correctly, as in sometimes I'll see a weird rectangle instead of a model.

I checked regedit, and VideoMemorySize is correct. The vulkan business seems to think I have the right amount:

"
info: GeForce GTX 1050:
info: Driver: 415.22.0
info: Vulkan: 1.1.84
info: Memory Heap[0]:
info: Size: 2048 MiB
info: Flags: 0x1
info: Memory Type[7]: Property Flags = 0x1
info: Memory Type[8]: Property Flags = 0x1
info: Memory Heap[1]:
info: Size: 11973 MiB
info: Flags: 0x0
info: Memory Type[0]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[1]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[2]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[3]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[4]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[5]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[6]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[9]: Property Flags = 0x6
info: Memory Type[10]: Property Flags = 0xe

which is what Xorg thinks too:
"
grep -i memory /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 39.696] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 2097152 kBytes

I also tried the various "windowed mode, 1920x1080" approaches, and no luck there either.

I attempted to lie about how much video ram I have. If I say I have more than I do (e.g. 4096, which should fail), I get "err:d3d:wined3d_resource_allocate_sysmem Failed to allocate system memory". If I say I have far less (e.g. 1024), I still get "err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory".

I've tried messing with the Texture Quality, but I get similar failures even on 'medium'.
No luck here - couldn't get the DX11 to work. I installed dxvk (both through their installer and tried with winetricks), but I get the dreaded "Failed to build WIC factory" or something like that.

Most of the complaints I get when running in DX9 are about memory of some sort. "Bad allocation" in game, other times in wine: "err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory", etc. Plus certain things won't appear correctly, as in sometimes I'll see a weird rectangle instead of a model.

I checked regedit, and VideoMemorySize is correct. The vulkan business seems to think I have the right amount:

"
info: GeForce GTX 1050:
info: Driver: 415.22.0
info: Vulkan: 1.1.84
info: Memory Heap[0]:
info: Size: 2048 MiB
info: Flags: 0x1
info: Memory Type[7]: Property Flags = 0x1
info: Memory Type[8]: Property Flags = 0x1
info: Memory Heap[1]:
info: Size: 11973 MiB
info: Flags: 0x0
info: Memory Type[0]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[1]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[2]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[3]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[4]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[5]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[6]: Property Flags = 0x0
info: Memory Type[9]: Property Flags = 0x6
info: Memory Type[10]: Property Flags = 0xe

which is what Xorg thinks too:
"
grep -i memory /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 39.696] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 2097152 kBytes

I also tried the various "windowed mode, 1920x1080" approaches, and no luck there either.

I attempted to lie about how much video ram I have. If I say I have more than I do (e.g. 4096, which should fail), I get "err:d3d:wined3d_resource_allocate_sysmem Failed to allocate system memory". If I say I have far less (e.g. 1024), I still get "err:d3d:resource_init Out of adapter memory".

I've tried messing with the Texture Quality, but I get similar failures even on 'medium'.
Regarding the WIC factory, I was able to get it to run with DX11 if I patched wine with this patch:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/GloriousEggroll/ge-wine/master/pathofexile.patch
"
--- a/dlls/ole32/compobj.c
+++ b/dlls/ole32/compobj.c
@@ -3213,6 +3213,7 @@
{
MULTI_QI multi_qi = { iid };
HRESULT hres;
+ CoInitialize(NULL);

TRACE("(rclsid=%s, pUnkOuter=%p, dwClsContext=%08x, riid=%s, ppv=%p)\n", debugstr_guid(rclsid),
pUnkOuter, dwClsContext, debugstr_guid(iid), ppv);

With that, I'm off and running. Thanks for the suggestion to switch to DX11. I've been able to load at least a few levels in Act 5 without crashing, which I wasn't able to do before. Also, this game has shadows and stuff now. =)

Hopefully that patch gets upstreamed eventually. (Running Gentoo with wine-staging-3.21 here).

Now back to my terrible build. =)
Glad you got it working. Yes, without die "WIC" patch PoE won't start. That was the reason i compiled wine myself.

Regarding wine PBA patches: i lied in my previous post. ;)

I tried PBA and yes, it sped up PoE, but with PBA the map didn't work any more. Neither the mini map or the tab-overlay. So i went back to standard wine-staging.
No idea if I'm very lucky with hardware combo or whatever it is, but I'm playing with the same setup I used when I stopped playing Delve about 5-6 months ago, and it works like a charm. Small niggles when loading a new map, but 1-2 seconds later and all is well. Have played for maybe 10 hours straight without any crashes or hickups. Minimap and tab overlay works perfect too.

I'm using Lutris on esync-3.13 wine version, with DXVK 0.63, and these commands:
--waitforpreload --nologo --nodx9ex --gc2

Oh, and WINEESYNC 1 as environmental variable.

This is on Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon with a Nvidia 770 card, using the 396.54 drivers.

Since the game runs well, I won't bother to upgrade - just in case things work less well.

So all I can say is that Lutris + DXVK is bloody marvellous! :)

(edit: Think I still have graphics settings on low, or at least not best, in the game, but I don't care too much about graphics anyway, so it doesn't matter if things don't look super-hot everywhere).
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Dec 11, 2018, 12:58:46 PM
I remember now why I didn't play much of Incursion league - the incursions, including temple, are incredibly laggy for me. Feels like trying to run in water.
Rest of the game seems more or less fine with occasional hiccup, so there's that.
I have the same issue with DX9ex and the regular crashing, also get the WIC error when I try DXVK.

Can someone explain how to use patches for Wine? Can I use it only for my Path Of Exile prefix or will it affect the basic runtime?

What affect will it have on other games I run with Wine?
First: I got it to work, after what felt like hundreds of crashes, hangs, frustration...

My system:
- OpenSuSE 15.0
- i7-4710HQ
- GeForce GTX 860M

Before doing anything, READ EVERYTHING.

This is a laptop with optimus setup, i.e. two graphics cards. The internal screen and external HDMI socket are both driven by the intel card which complicates things considerably. Note that bumblebee/primusrun do not work with vulkan and for me the only thing that would realiably run everything(*) on the nvidia card was the suse-prime package, which provides prime-select. It has similar names on other distributions.

You need the nvidia driver for this, and not the bumblebee/primusrun version either. You should delete everything related to bumblebee and primusrun, the get the nvidia repo and install the correct driver. Some pointers for this can be found here https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE%3AFactory/suse-prime . Please read this link, as it contains instructions about manually editing /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup . Lingering libraries and kernel modules make switching from bumblebee nvidia install to 'official' nvidia install a PITA. If you have nothing to lose, go with a clean reinstall. I strongly suggest you also make a file /etc/modprobe.d/51-fknouveau.conf with the content

"
blacklist nouveau

or nouveau will instantly end up in your initrd again and mess up your day (thank you nouveau for the lost weekend). Also, create a file 51-nvidia-modeset.conf with

"
options nvidia_drm modeset=1

or vsync will not work. See https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/957814/linux/prime-and-prime-synchronization/ for the requirements, on openSuSE 15.0 with all updates installed you fulfill them. Maybe you do not want vsync but I have the strong feeling that if you do not set this up, the cpu just floods the card with commands, thinking everything gets done instantly, and that is when your computer freezes up. Go with VSync first and then when everything works, try to turn it off (in the game options) and see what happens. modeset=1 does *not* enforce vsync, it just makes it possible!

Get prime-select set up and run

"
# prime-select nvidia

logout and login again. If you get a black screen (like i did too often) just go to ctrl+alt+f1 and prime-select intel again. Make sure that the initrd is up to date, rebuild it using mkinitrd. If you get a login screen, congrats. Then check with

"
# glxinfo

which card you are using. It should say NVIDIA at the top somewhere. Next, do everything in the reddit guide https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9x47or/guide_getting_path_of_exiledx11_to_run_smoothly/ . Thus I am using the Standalone w/ DXVK version.
I did *not* end up using the DXVK_STATE_CACHE flag, but I am using DXVK_ASYNC=1 and the patched DXVK version as linked in the thread. I also removed the DXVK_HUD environment variable from Configure -> System Options -> Show advanced Options -> Environment Variables, no idea if that affects anything though.

Btw the runner I am using is tkg-3.21-x86_64. I also disabled GLSL which probably has no effect since the Vulkan engine is used. Side note, i also unchecked the PulseAudio options in Configure -> System Options -> Show advanced Options and am running pure alsa, you are probably running pulse but unticking these will probably change nothing.

Note that on OpenSuSE 15.0 there is a bug with lutris which causes wine to fail to load libfreetype.so, so there is no text anywhere - very frustrating, took me ages to find that you can just right click your game in lutris, go Configure -> System Options -> Show advanced Options -> Untick Use System Libraries
Press Save.

To do this you first need to run the installer though, which will not have any text. When the installer comes up, tick the checkbox (Agree to Terms etc) and then press the middle button of the three buttons (which all do not have text), that is the "next" button... Then just wait as long as it is doing something, do not press any buttons (those are "cancel") until the end. I cannot remember precisely but I think at some point you have to press a button to "finish" installation.

When done with this, I suggest you do NOT press the "run game" button right away. This would cause it to download the 15GB Content.ggpk.
Then fix the text via the library setting as described above. You could also go into general lutris settings first and untick Use System Libraries there, however for me it did not always use the general settings, probably due to leftover config files from previous runs.

For Content.ggpk you can either copy it or hardlink it from a previous (playonlinux or raw wine-based) installation, both works. If you're using btrfs you can even do a cp --reflink which will use COW and (initially) not any additional diskspace while preserving the file from the other installation. However I never got my Content.ggpk corrupted so hardlinking is really the easiest way, and you get all your installations updated simultaneously. I am pretty sure that none of this applies if you move between steam and standalone, i.e. you always need to download the ggpk in that case(?)

The hard part is getting everything to run with the additional complication of a primus setup. Thing is, the second card is still there and there are intel drivers floating around, which you cannot delete. It was helpful for me to be able to test Vulkan with a program that does not freeze the computer when things go wrong (Kappa). I tested with Refresh https://github.com/srmojuze/Refresh2025/releases . I suggest selecting a small resolution and not going fullscreen or Ultra settings right away.

(Note: This might also apply to users of regular PCs where the screen is connected to the dedicated card, if your CPU has an integrated GPU, even if you are not using it - the system might use the wrong ICDs per default)
Now you will probably note that Refresh either does not run OR it shows that the intel card is active. Proceed to find the nvidia icd file. For me the correct one is at /etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json . If you search, you will probably find other nvidia_icd files which are leftover from the bumblebee nvidia install... These will not work. So to get the Refresh demo to run just run it from the command line like this

"
VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json ./Refresh2025.x86_64

If everything is correct you will see the demo AND the correct graphics card. Works really well for me on Ultra setting with stable 60fps with quite some particles (~6k).

Once this works, you know that your Vulkan installation and drivers are setup correctly and the "only" thing left is to make lutris use it. Start lutris from the command line using

"
VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json lutris -d

Personally, I am using the git master from
"
https://github.com/lutris/lutris.git
and start from that directory with

"
VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json ./bin/lutris -d

Next right click your Path Of Exile installation, go to Configure -> System Options -> Advanced Options -> Environment Variables and add VK_ICD_FILENAMES with /etc/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json .

Spoiler
For sake of complete disclosure, though you most likely do not need this: Somewhat strange, the "Use Prime" option in Configure -> System Options -> Advanced Options is greyed out for me and I am not sure it is needed - after all, the Refresh demo runs just fine without it. I changed my git downloaded lutris and edited the file lutris/sysoptions.py to say

"
def get_dri_prime():
# return len(display.get_providers()) > 1
return True

Then you can tick the checkbox.
I suggest you first try *without* this change, and only if it stubbornly refuses to work, get the git version and try this...

Finally, the game does not run on all resolutions and modes, sadly. I have not managed to find out why. You need to edit the production_Config.ini manually to put in a resolution that works. For me, windowed only works with 4:3 resolutions up to 1152×864. Fullscreen works in Full HD (actual fullscreen, windowed does not). So no tabbing out, which is really annoying if you want to look up skill trees etc...
For me, the relevant production_Config.ini is at

"
/home/username/Games/path-of-exile/drive_c/users/username/My Documents/My Games/Path of Exile

I suggest you start with your [DISPLAY] section along the lines of

"
[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=<yourcardname>
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=false
directx_version=11
dx11_antialias_mode=0
dx9_antialias_mode=0
dynamic_resolution_fps=25
fullscreen=false
global_illumination_detail=0
light_quality=0
max_PS_shader_model=ps_4_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_4_0
maximize_window=false
post_processing=false
resolution_height=600
resolution_width=800
screen_shake=false
screenspace_effects=1
screenspace_effects_resolution=0
shadow_type=hardware_3_samples
texture_filtering=2
texture_quality=1
use_dynamic_resolution=true
vsync=true
water_detail=0

at 1152×864 windowed this works like a charm at constant 60 fps with just some slight stutters every now and then that I attribute to the primus setup, where the vsync has to run through two cards. After an hour of testing, no crashes, zones load quite quickly even with --waitforpreload and the whole system gets way less hot than with dx9e, while running at a more stable framerate.

Good luck!
ign:
quirx_rng_pls
Ok folks followed the guides, and some suggestions posted above, but no dice dxvk still not working on startup screen.

System Fedora 29
Nvidia working
DXVK working, can see little DXVK Cube

Lutris installed, DXVK patch 0.91 installed lutris does not complain, can play game in Dx9 mode, but really choppy. Using all defaults as suggested using tgk, have wine staging installed per wineHQ.

I am on the standalone client, to me that is made for Linux, not interested in running the steam version as I have a window's system dedicated to gaming. But much prefer to use Linux on such a game.

Just waiting to see, if a DXVK fix is incoming.

CipB
"
CipBiarus wrote:
Ok folks followed the guides, and some suggestions posted above, but no dice dxvk still not working on startup screen.

System Fedora 29
Nvidia working
DXVK working, can see little DXVK Cube

Lutris installed, DXVK patch 0.91 installed lutris does not complain, can play game in Dx9 mode, but really choppy. Using all defaults as suggested using tgk, have wine staging installed per wineHQ.

I am on the standalone client, to me that is made for Linux, not interested in running the steam version as I have a window's system dedicated to gaming. But much prefer to use Linux on such a game.

Just waiting to see, if a DXVK fix is incoming.

CipB

Have you tried running in a different resolution/what is your resolution? 2560x1440 for example is currently known not to work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info