[Official] WINE info thread

For Incursion, I updated Wine in my PlayOnLinux setup from 2.21-staging to 3.9. That was a mistake. With 3.9, I start to get extreme choppiness when interacting with larger mob packs after passing through just 4-5 areas. Restarting the game helps to get back to smooth gameplay.

However, reverting to 2.21-staging helped immensely. I can run many maps in a row, without any serious performance degradation. Just like in Bestiary and Abyss before.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
Still on staging 2.17 with opengl in playonlinux. Everything else is worse for me. Sound was going out on the new ones
Thanks to Ganni1987 on the GOG forums I learnt that the reason the game crashes after an hour or so of gameplay is the 4GB virtual memory limitation. This can be checked with htop in terminal. The game routinely crashes when it gets to 4GB, or slightly under. The bad news is it uses close to 3GB just by firing it up, so it doesn't take long until it reaches the threshold.

Therefore, do you know if there is something to be done about this, besides reducing graphics settings? (already done)

It's pretty frustrating, because apart from this very serious issue, the game runs flawlessly as far as I can tell.
Last edited by Pangaearocks on Jun 11, 2018, 5:11:16 PM
"
kebusetä wrote:

I put binaries now here https://github.com/jomihaka/dxvk-poe-hack/releases. Don't expect me to keep these binaries up to date with dxvk, though.

You need to set PoE to use directx11. Then (or before) you need to install the dxvk binaries with something like "WINEPREFIX=<your_poe_prefix> setup_dxvk64. To launch poe, you need to have environment variables
DXVK_USE_PIPECOMPILER=1
DXVK_USE_PLACEHOLDER_SHADERS=1
set.

To people asking about lutris: I don't know what that is or how is works, sorry.

Thank you so much. This makes it so much more smoother to play.

For those wondering how to do it in lutris check out this link. I just downloaded the binaries and followed the instructions. Also you have to set the environment variables under System options.
"
kebusetä wrote:
Hi,

I patched the pipecompiler of dxvk with a gross hack to use placeholder shaders while waiting for the async compilation to finish. This "solves" the stuttering caused by shader linking, with the downside of graphical glitches before the real shader kicks in. However, it seems to work fine for me and smooth gameplay is more important than seeing pretty lights immediately.

You can find the patch here https://github.com/jomihaka/dxvk-poe-hack.

Feel free to try if it works for you (on your own risk).

You are literally the best. I can finally enjoy Path of Exile on linux.
"
Dan1lo wrote:

I did a lot of testing over here. DirectX 9, 9ex and 11. For DirectX9 and 9Ex, I'm able to use staging 3.6 through 3.9. My reference staging 3.6 is the ge version. 3.9 is the standard staging.

Everything is setup through Lutris for practicality

My startup arguments are "-gc 2 --nologo -softwareaudio"

- DirectX 9 and 9Ex work perfectly and smoothly, but I have no shadows in dark areas, tested in The Sewers.

- DirectX11 works by combining ge-3.6 with DXVK (toggleable by Lutris). The game shows shadows and seems to work the same as 9 and 9Ex, but it stutters a lot more.

I've also noticed DirectX11 has Lighting and Shadows, whereas 9 and 9Ex only have shadows.

In all my attempts, DirectX9/9Ex did not produce shadows
- 32bit and 64bit client
- Shadows
- - Off, Low, High
- Antialiasing
- - Off, SMAA High
- Post Processing on/off
- VSync on/off
- Texture Quality
- - Medium, High
- Engine Multithreading
- - On just produces flicker
- - Off just doesn't flicker

Etc Specs:
- Linux Mint Cinnamon
- Lutris 0.4.18
- DXVK 0.52 (<- only works in DirectX11)
- Graphics Card/Driver - GeForce 740m/nvidia-390

Hi there, thanks for your settings.

I based my settings on the above but I've been having issues with Wine/PoE crashing my PC forcing a power off to restart.
My specs:
-Linux Mint Cinnamon
-Lutris 0.4.18
-DXVK 0.52
-Graphics: GTX 1060/nvidia-396

Notes: The default startup arguments are: --nologo --gc2 --nodx9ex --waitforpreload
--waitforpreload : Loading is now much quicker
--nodx9ex : minimap now displays correctly

Now currently using: --nologo --gc2 --softwareaudio
I'm not sure what --softwareaudio does or if it makes any difference.
I'm playing with DX11. DX9 or DX9Ex did not work for me.

Can someone tell me which Libraries you are using?
Currently using: openal32(native, builtin)
Last edited by Mang0Soulja on Jun 15, 2018, 11:18:00 AM
"
kebusetä wrote:
Hi,

I patched the pipecompiler of dxvk with a gross hack to use placeholder shaders while waiting for the async compilation to finish. This "solves" the stuttering caused by shader linking, with the downside of graphical glitches before the real shader kicks in. However, it seems to work fine for me and smooth gameplay is more important than seeing pretty lights immediately.

You can find the patch here https://github.com/jomihaka/dxvk-poe-hack.

Feel free to try if it works for you (on your own risk).

I'm fairly new to Linux.
I didn't understand this:
Instructions
patch dxvk with pipeline.patch
Set env variables:
DXVK_USE_PIPECOMPILER=1
DXVK_USE_PLACEHOLDER_SHADERS=1

how do I patch dxvk?
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:

Notes: The default startup arguments are: --nologo --gc2 --nodx9ex --waitforpreload

By the way make sure you're using "-gc 2" and not "--gc2".
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:

Thanks, I got that changed.

On another note, it seems while on PoE Wine, it crashes the PC after 5-10min. Graphics stop moving first, audio then stops and mouse pointer freezes. Dead.

Any suggestions?
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:
"
iao wrote:
"
Mang0Soulja wrote:

Thanks, I got that changed.

On another note, it seems while on PoE Wine, it crashes the PC after 5-10min. Graphics stop moving first, audio then stops and mouse pointer freezes. Dead.

Any suggestions?

It's the same for me - game crashes after few minutes with that patch for DXVK. I went back to DX9Ex and it kinda works, but sometimes stutters for a second or two - and that's just unbearable in a hectic fights.

I'm losing hope... :\

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info