[Official] WINE info thread

I tried changing my OS in WINE config to Windows XP and that seems to help some.
Last edited by CookieTough2 on Jun 4, 2016, 11:57:26 AM
"
GamingRendo wrote:
"
"
Gwmngilfen wrote:
Let's hope we can get a GGG response at some point...

lul

"We're looking into it, but please know we don't support Linux, so don't expect miracles!"

It's really disappointing because these issues didn't exist prior to 2.2, and they seem worse now. I may have to skip this League and potentially any future Leagues if performance continues to decline.

Sorry, I didn't really make my context clear. Back around a week or so after the launch of 2.2 I heard a GGG staff member say (I forget if it was a forum post or a State of Exile podcast comment) that tere was a known issue with the health/mana orbs using around three times too many frames to redraw their regen.

This seemed to stack with the performance issues many of us are seeing, and I have not seen any patch notes saying that they fixed it - so I was hoping to clarify if that bug is still open, or if we're looking at something entirely different.
"
foosis wrote:
2.3.0b didn't make a noticeable change for me (wine version is set to Win7). Boss fights quite often involve dying now :\

"
Kellog wrote:
The patch seems to have fixed the CPU load and missing sound events, however, switching between zones is horribly slow now. Other than that, performance is pretty good. Pretty steady fps, no nasty drops to single figures in fights or at shrines.

Congrats! From what I've seen on my friends slightly weaker setup (compared to mine), this is pretty much the behaviour on Windows: smooth playing after preloading. Assuming with "slow" you mean 20-30 sec.
Mind sharing any nondefault details about your winecfg?

I wouldn't call it 'smooth' exactly but, for the most part, it's quite playable. With regard to zone switching, in some cases it takes upwards of a minute for the new zone to open and when I enter, it can take another 60+ seconds for, what I assume, is asset loading to settle down. Honestly, the old system was better in this respect. Moreover, this is not a Linux only issue - Anyone else have worse performance than 2.2? / Loading is faster, but in game performance are actualy worse?

As far as my setup:

AMD FX8350/HD7870
Tumbleweed
Pontostory X11/drm repos (4.6/mesa 12.1/llvm3.9/1.9.11~gallium_nine+staging-2.1)

Nothing special in winecfg.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have to use predictive as my latency is 160/180ms and following the patch desync is noticeably more frequent and generally a lot worse, particularly after entering a new zone.
Last edited by Kellog on Jun 4, 2016, 7:51:57 PM
I've no idea what happened in the latest patch, but the missing sound events are back and the CPU load, even on idle in hideout, is double that prior to the patch. This is following a reboot...
Mine FPS are also down the shitter. Tried doing normal ascendancy 5 times, 4 of them game slowly got choppier until boss room completely killed it. Changing wine version doesn't help, neither does Windows version. I'm also getting the same FMOD errors as in previous posts.

In Dominus fight I get 1 new frame every 4 seconds. I guess this league is a nono until the issues are fixed...
Last edited by VodkaBorschGG on Jun 5, 2016, 6:26:12 AM
^
Last edited by _MAL_ on Nov 4, 2017, 5:07:12 PM
"
_MAL_ wrote:
"
Gwmngilfen wrote:

Sorry, I didn't really make my context clear. Back around a week or so after the launch of 2.2 I heard a GGG staff member say (I forget if it was a forum post or a State of Exile podcast comment) that tere was a known issue with the health/mana orbs using around three times too many frames to redraw their regen.

This seemed to stack with the performance issues many of us are seeing, and I have not seen any patch notes saying that they fixed it - so I was hoping to clarify if that bug is still open, or if we're looking at something entirely different.

Here is a comment from Chris on Reddit which I think was related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/49kck4/top_tier_pc_fps_lags_titan_x_sli_help_please/d0t453l

"We fixed a bug that caused way too many draw calls to be rendered. In some cases, 3x as many. Jonathan will probably go into more detail later once we know the impact."

^ Although I don't think that patch was ever pushed out.

Recompile that caused this was done in patch 2.1.2d https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1595046.

Everything prior to 2.1.2d was perfect and in 2.1.2d FPS started dropping to 1-2 when monsters would take damage. Glitch persisted when Ascendancy was released 2-3 days later and again through Prophecy.

I know Linux isn't supported but it would be nice to get some guidance from GGG as to what changed in that client recompile so that we can have a fighting chance of fixing it either in Wine (if it's a compatibility issue) or some other way.

I replied in that reddit thread to that comment you listed. Hopefully he'll respond and we can find out if there's something we can do.
^
Last edited by _MAL_ on Nov 4, 2017, 5:07:48 PM
"
I don't know why I had never tried this before but launching PathofExile with sound disabled everything works fine. My FPS doesn't drop past 20 compared to the 1-2 I would get with sound enabled.

In PlayonLinux I added -ns to the arguments field. Obviously having no sound sucks but the lag is gone.

Damn, that worked. All the time I figured that the sound was causing some performance problems, but I didn't think it was causing these extreme drops. Getting 30-60fps now depending on what I'm doing.

At least for me the performance issues only appeared in combat, and the fps would shoot back up to 60 if I'd die, even with 50 monsters on the screen. So I wonder what's actually going wrong here.
Last edited by 0Cheese on Jun 5, 2016, 2:09:18 PM
Disabling sound didn't work for me. It's still a stuttery, screen freezing, shit-show. :/ I shouldn't get my hopes up considering the last 3 months. :/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info