[Official] WINE info thread

Hello.

I just began using Ubuntu 14.10 on my new PC and wanted to use PoE on it. I followed this guide http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine and copied the files across since I already have them on another computer. Once I finished all the steps, I tried to boot it up and got this error, no matter where I boot it from:
"Unable to start PathOfExile.exe. Please go to your Path of Exile directory and run it manually."

Unless I misunderstood the message, when I tried that the same error ocurred.

P.S.
This may help: I am also getting an error when trying to install Battlefront 2 on Ubuntu. It seems to involve faulty installation of the English files and the error code is: -2147418113
"
Assassin2000 wrote:
Hello.

I just began using Ubuntu 14.10 on my new PC and wanted to use PoE on it. I followed this guide http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_on_Wine and copied the files across since I already have them on another computer. Once I finished all the steps, I tried to boot it up and got this error, no matter where I boot it from:
"Unable to start PathOfExile.exe. Please go to your Path of Exile directory and run it manually."

P.S.
This may help: I am also getting an error when trying to install Battlefront 2 on Ubuntu. It seems to involve faulty installation of the English files and the error code is: -2147418113

I have never seen that error before and have used my guide to several fresh Ubuntu systems with success.

PlayOnLinux requires the 32 bit libraries installed on your system (if it's 64 bit Ubuntu), maybe investigate that.

Or, perhaps the winetricks part of the install was missed (installing directx and vcrun2010 etc).

Other than that, what kind of graphics card / driver are you using?
Hi,

I posted a thread in the Tech Support thread about trying to run PoE in Arch Linux (64bit, and was suggested to come here for more extensive support).

Basically, I'm currently trying to run PoE via Wine through PlayOnLinux on my 64bit installation of Arch Linux. I can get up to the splash screen after character selection, but before I can load into the world it will crash while I'm still as the loading screen, giving me the error:

Unable to create vertex shader
D3Derr_invalidcall invalid call

It seems like that this is a Pixel Shader version support issue - but the Intel HD 4400 should support up to version 5.0, when 3.0 is all that is needed. I'm on a Sony Vaio Pro 13, and I have what I believe are the relevant intel graphics driver installed - xf86-video-intel.

I believe that a couple years ago I managed to get PoE running on an even older laptop on Ubuntu, so I don't think it's the graphics card itself that is the issue, but rather, my setup.

I did receive one reply already, and I added this extra step and installed these from opening the shell from the PoE virtual drive:
winetricks -q vcrun2010 d3dx9_42 d3dcompiler_43 riched20 usp10

Any insight on the matter will be grealy appcreciated!
"
jyting wrote:

Any insight on the matter will be grealy appcreciated!

Hi jyting

Most of the issues are people on laptops with Intel graphics, not all have been successful in getting it to work.

Things to try -

- install full directx:

winetricks directx9

- open source cutting edge driver (Gallium nine?) vs. proprietary driver (if available)

- made sure 32 bit libraries are installed

Sorry I don't use Intel graphics so cannot test. My guide on the PoE wiki is for Nvidia graphics mostly as that's what works best in general for Linux gaming.
Thanks for the reply Sovyn.

Mistake on my part - I got it working because I did one step I shouldn't have.

For anyone running into the same issue as me in future (I'll update the new thread in the Tech Support section too as this is bound to get buried) - with the step in the Wiki guide where it says to disable GLSL Support, it suggests that it may only work with Nvidia cards - but I had it enabled anyway. Disabling it fixed the issue.

EDIDT: Terrible wording - I had it disabled as suggested for Nvidia card users - but enabling it fixed the crashes.*
Last edited by jyting on Mar 17, 2015, 11:10:02 PM
"
jyting wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sovyn.

Mistake on my part - I got it working because I did one step I shouldn't have.

For anyone running into the same issue as me in future (I'll update the new thread in the Tech Support section too as this is bound to get buried) - with the step in the Wiki guide where it says to disable GLSL Support, it suggests that it may only work with Nvidia cards - but I had it enabled anyway. Disabling it fixed the issue.

Great! Glad you found the issue. Curious if you get the hitching that disabling GLSL fixes (Nvidia only unfortunately).
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Assassin2000 wrote:
Hello.

P.S.

I have never seen that error before and have used my guide to several fresh Ubuntu systems with success.

PlayOnLinux requires the 32 bit libraries installed on your system (if it's 64 bit Ubuntu), maybe investigate that.

Or, perhaps the winetricks part of the install was missed (installing directx and vcrun2010 etc).

Other than that, what kind of graphics card / driver are you using?

Thanks for the answer and sorry for my late reply. I am using an AMD r7 240 (I know you say that AMD cards should be avoided for POE, but I have little choice to change that now). I have not updated/changed any drivers, as far as I know, and I am just using what came with Ubuntu 14.04.

I should probably also add that I copied the PoE files from a hard drive. Could the problem be from a missing production_config file?

I followed your guide about installing DirectX9 etc., and it appeared to be successful.

You mention 32 bit libraries, which could be the problem. How/ where would I install these?

Thanks you very much!
Last edited by Assassin2000 on Mar 20, 2015, 12:03:30 PM
Hi ! i have eror when i try play " Unable to create Vertex shader. D3DERR_INVALIDCALL Invalid call " before when i play on windows 7 i dont have this problem ;/ i have installed vcrun2010 d3dx9_42 d3dcompiler_43 riched20 usp10
At long last, Bug 32463, "Font artefacts in Path of Exile" can be closed. Open since December 2012, we've been patiently waiting for a decent looking game again, and now 2 years later, it's fixed.

I'm currently using wine 1.7.33 with the WGL_WINE_surface extension patch, and I'm pretty sure a recent version (after 1.7.28) fixed the problem with the native d3dx9_42 dll.

~~~
Gentoo Linux ░ nVidia 346.35 ░ wine 1.7.33
Last edited by ionface on Mar 26, 2015, 11:59:00 PM
"
ionface wrote:
At long last, Bug 32463, "Font artefacts in Path of Exile" can be closed. Open since December 2012, we've been patiently waiting for a decent looking game again, and now 2 years later, it's fixed.

I'm currently using wine 1.7.33 with the WGL_WINE_surface extension patch, and I'm pretty sure a recent version (after 1.7.28) fixed the problem with the native d3dx9_42 dll.

~~~
Gentoo Linux ░ nVidia 346.35 ░ wine 1.7.33

Wine devs did nothing, GGG inadvertently fixed this in Path of Exile version 1.3.1b as noted in my guide on the wiki. Pretty darn flawless on Wine right now, hopefully it won't break again in 1.4.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info