The Plot.

Oriath really reminds me of Magic:The Gathering lore. I like the way hints about history and characters unfold through flavor text on Unique items. The whole game setting suggests a world with a rich legacy that I look forward to seeing revealed as the game progresses.
I also want to give kudos to the voice acting in PoE. Maybe I've just been exposed to some terrible voice acting in some previous ARPG's, but PoE's is very well done IMO.
Wraeclast = Amestris
Dominus = Father homunculus
Piety = one of the other homunculi
Skill gems = Philosopher's stones
You = one of the Human Sacrifices

True story.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of the story unfold. Lore is important because it adds more depth to the PoE experience.

GGG has done an excellent job so far! I'm hoping that you include as much of the rich history of Oriath as you can in future updates. Keep up the good work, I'm hoping for a PoE book, or maybe even movie in the future.
There is great potential here, as shown in quite rich background but frankly, the main plot is not that great so far.

I see little motivation to take any interest in Piety in A2 and A3. In A1, you just want to get out of the barren coast, okay. But in A2 I really saw no reason to proceed past clicking mobs and loot and neither did I understand why am I carving my way through the ruins of Sarn. Loved the Gemling Queen, though. Who didn't?

But what I really hate is the two actions you take in A2 - poison the tree and break the seal. Both are made only because "there is no other way around", you are basically forced to do it and then everyone blames you for being evil. Every time I see that ball I cringe. Why would anyone do that? The exiles are not idiots, most of them have either some magic aptitude, arcane lore or education and even Marauder has some basic spiritual affinity. This could be made in many other, more plausible ways, eh.

I have remarked in the past that Piety is not that great of an antagonist. The main reason for this is the lack of development in the relationship between her and the exile. Developing that should be something of a small priority when it's time to return to A1/A2 and polish things.

As for the 'plot' of Wraeclast. Chris gave perhaps a bit too much of it away when he mentioned that Oriath doesn't execute its criminals because they have reason to believe it was capital punishment that doomed Sarn. It certainly explains why Piety is snooping around in prisons and dungeons with execution devices. It also says something about the culture of Sarn, when we pay attention to how the main road from Sarn all the way to Lioneye has many prisons and slaughterhouses.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Feb 3, 2013, 9:10:37 PM
I dont have much to say but i do care enough about the story line to post and let you know I,as well as two of my friends wouldn't mind improvements. Maybe someday there can be an optional intro cinematic,showing the exiles cast into the seas around Wraeclast,or perhaps shipwrecked?

Maybe you can include more details,and different pieces of the story in each separate difficulty,learning more about the story through the progression of the quest dialogues.
As opposed to doing the same quests for the same reasons verbatim every time.
For example,on cruel you could touch on why Hailrake took the medicine chest.
Was he a drug addict? A kleptomaniac? was he simply trying to kill off the Lioneye's Watch camp? Or was he in fact a hero, just trying to take care of his own dying family and friends on Tidal Island? Stealing what supplies he could from the encampment?
I would like to see a Book you can click and read if you want to in town on the act as you get there.

Think that would be a nice addition.

--- TOTALLY BEST GAME EVER guys ---
I wasn't interested at all in the plot until now... if the plot rocks , well in that case this games has really all i am looking for the next 10 years or more maybe :)
ok going to bump old topic bcoz act 3+ is out

i am really interested in this people kaom, lady hyrri,shavrone & also the war they fought against Marceus Lioneye

Kaom honoured Marceus Lioneye by placing his head on belt

is that new Headhunter belt ?

IGN: Cheap

The unending pain has left me strangely wretched
At one intoxicating glance, I lost my faith to you
My life is now a tale of the past Spent, sacrificed at the alter of the deity - you!
Last edited by imran_symbian on Nov 18, 2013, 3:43:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info