The Plot.

"
Misguidance wrote:
"
Archfiend wrote:
Did you guys listen to everything all of the NPCs had to say on your playthrough?

I did indeed. :) I have been very impressed by the voice acting.

Ah well, you should be able to shed some light on the issue then?

Or do they not lend hints on to what it happening in the game?

I see there are still a few acts to see, so that may explain everything nicely.
Hi guys,

Thought I'd address a few points around the plot and story reveal.

There is most definitely a well thought-out and involved world story behind Path of Exile. Created by Creative Director Erik Olofsson and writer Edwin McRae, the story goes into Wraeclast's place in world history and its impact on the greater world of Oriath as well as your role as an exile in the whole debacle.

The plan has always been to unfold this story over time in details that do not encroach on the game for those who want to be able to plow through the quests without being held up by story colour. We're discovering what works and what doesn't as we go and we hope the incremental changes will improve the way the story unfolds to you as a player. One case in point, the customised greetings now being applied to some of the Act 1 characters (Bestel's are already in place, Nessa's soon to follow) where the NPCs greet you differently based on your class.

The Blackguards are also known as the Ebony Legion and support Gravicius in his movements in Act 3.

More story will come with the inclusion of Dominus and the Sceptre of God tower where you meet him (as seen in the OB Trailer) that will explain his plans for a new empire born in the ashes of an ancient one long lost to Wraeclast (the Azmeri, the natives of Act 2's Forest Encampment, are descendants of the original empire). So yes, Wraeclast once held a thriving empire within Sarn, the now ruined city. The Gemling Queen is a key figure involved in the story of Sarn of old and she explains some of her history and her seminal role within her dialogue in Act 3.

The player finds themselves washed up on 'the prison continent' where their story - especially as far as mainstream Oriathan civilisation is concerned - is supposed to end. However, what they find is a new beginning.

Besides the impetus to survive to spite those who've cast you aside, there are new questions to be answered - what force is at work corrupting the land and its inhabitants and creatures? Why the abundance of gems in this place and what gives them their power? Why, if they've been cast out of society to a 'prison wasteland' do they find mainstream interest is still actively present in Wraeclast - and what are Piety and Gravicius looking for?

Over time it is our goal to unveil the story in the best possible way to give those who are interested something more to dig into and those who simply want to click through to the next battle an easy, non-intrusive way to do so.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback - it's good to know some people ARE interested in the story and gives us the impetus to include more detail where necessary. I agree that Piety's intro and storyline could use some tweaking. I'll talk to Erik and Edwin about this. The Vaal are an ancient race who play into the backstory of Sarn - more detail will be forthcoming in future Act 3 content and Act 4.
Last edited by Damien_GGG on Jan 31, 2013, 6:55:35 PM
Interesting to know that Act 3 has more content to come. I thought we'd be stepping into Act 4 after this.

Thanks for the outline Damien, it is going to be a long wait but it will be well worth it.
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
Hi guys,

Thought I'd address a few points around the plot and story reveal.

There is most definitely a well thought-out and involved world story behind Path of Exile. Created by Creative Director Erik Olofsson and writer Edwin McRae, the story goes into Wraeclast's place in world history and its impact on the greater world of Oriath as well as your role as an exile in the whole debacle.

The plan has always been to unfold this story over time in details that do not encroach on the game for those who want to be able to plow through the quests without being held up by story colour. We're discovering what works and what doesn't as we go and we hope the incremental changes will improve the way the story unfolds to you as a player. One case in point, the customised greetings now being applied to some of the Act 1 characters (Bestel's are already in place, Nessa's soon to follow) where the NPCs greet you differently based on your class.

The Blackguards are also known as the Ebony Legion and support Gravicius in his movements in Act 3.

More story will come with the inclusion of Dominus and the Sceptre of God tower where you meet him (as seen in the OB Trailer) that will explain his plans for a new empire born in the ashes of an ancient one long lost to Wraeclast (the Azmeri, the natives of Act 2's Forest Encampment, are descendants of the original empire). So yes, Wraeclast once held a thriving empire within Sarn, the now ruined city. The Gemling Queen is a key figure involved in the story of Sarn of old and she explains some of her history and her seminal role within her dialogue in Act 3.

The player finds themselves washed up on 'the prison continent' where their story - especially as far as mainstream Oriathan civilisation is concerned - is supposed to end. However, what they find is a new beginning.

Besides the impetus to survive to spite those who've cast you aside, there are new questions to be answered - what force is at work corrupting the land and its inhabitants and creatures? Why the abundance of gems in this place and what gives them their power? Why, if they've been cast out of society to a 'prison wasteland' do they find mainstream interest is still actively present in Wraeclast - and what are Piety and Gravicius looking for?

Over time it is our goal to unveil the story in the best possible way to give those who are interested something more to dig into and those who simply want to click through to the next battle an easy, non-intrusive way to do so.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback - it's good to know some people ARE interested in the story and gives us the impetus to include more detail where necessary. I agree that Piety's intro and storyline could use some tweaking. I'll talk to Erik and Edwin about this. The Vaal are an ancient race who play into the backstory of Sarn - more detail will be forthcoming in future Act 3 content and Act 4.

Thanks so much for this, Damien. Exactly what I wanted. :)
So Act 3 will be even longer with yet another major boss. Good lord. My bowrauder is quaking in his +20% movement speed boots.
"
Thought I'd address a few points around the plot and story reveal....

This whole post has made me very happy indeed. :D Thanks!

I'm one of those people who will happily read novels about game worlds, so hearing that there is more to come is massively welcome! ;)
I'm not a n00b- I'm a Online Game Floor Examination Expert.
Thanks, Damien!

I can't wait for the story to get even deeper with time.
IGN: _Blue_Box_
Looking forward for a PoE book :3
"
Archfiend wrote:
Interesting to know that Act 3 has more content to come. I thought we'd be stepping into Act 4 after this.

Thanks for the outline Damien, it is going to be a long wait but it will be well worth it.

Chris announced a few times in Closed Beta during the lead up to Open Beta (and in interviews since) that they had so much content for Act 3 that it was too much for Open Beta. They held back a lot of the side quests (that expand on the story) in Act 3, so that they could ensure that the core OB content was as polished as possible. Once OB settles they will polish and release the extra Act 3 content later this year (Chris suggested around August) as an Act 3X (expansion) release.

While that Act 3X polish and QA takes places they will also be concurrently working on Act 4.

Lots to look forward to.

HTH :)
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Looks to be a really interesting story.

On a sidenote, what does Piety look like? I mean, is there any detailed art of her where you see her face? I really like her as a character and voice actress as well.

"
Kaysee wrote:
"
Archfiend wrote:

Chris announced a few times in Closed Beta during the lead up to Open Beta (and in interviews since) that they had so much content for Act 3 that it was too much for Open Beta. They held back a lot of the side quests (that expand on the story) in Act 3, so that they could ensure that the core OB content was as polished as possible. Once OB settles they will polish and release the extra Act 3 content later this year (Chris suggested around August) as an Act 3X (expansion) release.

While that Act 3X polish and QA takes places they will also be concurrently working on Act 4.

Lots to look forward to.

HTH :)

Yeah, looks like we still have quite a bit of the map to traverse on the left side. :)
Domination:
Lvl 58 Power Siphon Witch
Last edited by SeikenZ on Jan 31, 2013, 7:30:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info