Improving Communication: The Development Manifesto (Please Read First!)

"
Chris wrote:
we are not repeating the Invasion mistakes again, though.

given that you mean you made it too difficult:

does this mean that you see that you failed at aiming at the hardcore base of players with invasion because this base:
- isn't as hardcore as you thought initially
- simply is too small (on money) to get a good revenue from
- does not exist
?
chris: could you please give an informational update about how your current testing procedures work on ggg' testing department and alpha since you employed staff for testing yourself in the upper floor one year ago?

i'm really interested who's actually doing all the testing at the moment.
"
cronus wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
we are not repeating the Invasion mistakes again, though.

given that you mean you made it too difficult:

does this mean that you see that you failed at aiming at the hardcore base of players with invasion because this base:
- isn't as hardcore as you thought initially
- simply is too small (on money) to get a good revenue from
- does not exist
?

I think people take this game very seriously, I feel like players take their characters and time investments more seriously than the guys at GGG. We get more attached and buthurt over things than the Devs and this stops us just enjoying certain things in the way they were designed to be enjoyed. I was going to make a feedback post about it, still might, but I dunno my posts tend to just turn into novels, Im not sure anyone has time to digest my brain.

"
Lord_Kamster wrote:

Also, can we please open a debate on your view of what "crafting" is? I don't mean in the sense of socketing/fusing/chroming, but in terms of creating items with stats. Now that I play Standard for example, I require very specific items in order to finish my build. But there is only ONE ring published on XYZ with the stats I need, the guy never logs on, and there's no possibility for me to even craft what I need. Crafting could really make this game so much better. There needs to be a way to enable the common player to do it. Look how fun it can be to yolo exalt in Descent Champions! Yet in the real game, I exalted just once, and cringed at the sacrifice. You guys really need to find a way around this, causing players to suffer due to RMT is not a solution.

I agree. I get to do a bit of crafting, a little bit, Im saving a huge portion of my wealth in ambush to finish crafting a chest I have on standard that needs eternal exalted for 2 stats, by my current calculations Ill be taking about 85 exalts worth of wealth back with me to attempt this. A lot of players struggle to come up with 5 exalts because theyre relying on drops over trade for the majority of their currency. Should everyone be able to eternal exalt? In the current game I honestly dont think they should but I think a proper discussion on where that balance is needs to happen. Maybe the answer is things like Descent Champions, that gives an opportunity to people to have some fun like that. Is this something that could be addressed in 1 week / 2 week race ladders without messing with the full game? I dunno, but Id like to see the issue either put to bed with a statement or talked about. If improved crafting makes the game easier does that give scope for making the game harder too in the manner of inv bosses etc?

Im glad to hear build of the week might be coming back. Id like to see it used to highlight the games diversity and offer ideas to new players. Theres always the flavour of the month, crit pulsers, ele cleavers, summons, LA... we got SB and blast atm, would be nice to reach to people using skills that are not fotm, builds that can operate in endgame maps with 4 links and no extreme gear, builds that take advantage of underused/under rated uniques, keystones etc. I think uber op builds have legs of their own, we dont need so many of them being featured.
The veil of silence is finally lifting.

I was thinking that for all the posts I've made over the last 16 months, praise, criticism, help, and of late having finally burning out on the grind to a higher build and accepting the fact that with my playing abilities and limited time to play that a level 100 build in never going to happen (and I've decide that it's ok), I have a fondness for PoE that I've never experienced with any other game. I and my 2 best friends have gone thought a lot, from D1, Baulders Gate, D2 and LoD, TQ and TQIT, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege II, Dragon Age, TorchLight I (solo), D3, TorchLight II (trio), PoE (solo and trio), and now D3:RoS (trio), in all these years only D2, TQIT, and PoE has made any lasting impact on my arpg playing enjoyment. I haven't read the new Manifsto as of this post so I hope what I read will fill me with renewed hope and a feeling of excitement that I haven't experienced since CB PoE when I was a newbie and everything was fresh and new.

Thanks to all the devs and support people at GGG.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
well the few thing i would like to communicate are of a simpletons nature. i dont flip anything...that being said i feel like crafting in the game based off what drops from ingame items is nearly impossible.

the chests u have added are a good turn toward a better future for crafters but there needs to be some form of crafting focus on orbs in chests. the things that are needed in the game for specific types of players, through strongboxes, is what u need to focus on.

these are just random examples

flippers need armor scrap/whets
crafters need alts/chaos/alch/
self found need maps/fuse/jewelers

rename ur strong boxes and reevaluate whats included in each. u have the opportunity to cater to each type of player with strongboxes. take advantage of it and ur community will thank u far beyond ur wildest dreams.

i feel like strongboxes are one of the best introductions into the game u have added and have the possibility to introduce anything a player might need. i would like to see a new strongbox type every patch. just like skill gems strongboxes can enable and satisfy every type of player the strong boxes u introduced into the game have the capability to excite any type of player. u just need to add what that category of player needs into it. its truly that simple
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Apr 29, 2014, 3:06:41 AM
Ohnestly, I would double all orb rates and increase eternals/exalteds drops by at least 100 times. And it would be nice to introduce "devolution" orb after (eternal-grade rarity) - randomly removes a property from a yellow/blue item, so people can play with the "underrolled" world drops.

As for chaos control - gradual increase of the chance of something "good" happening if player gets in a very bad case of continuous RNG - that would be really nice. I havent myself chanced a single unique in 3 years of PoE play! Economy wont burst if I get my satisfaction. This chaos control should NOT make things easier, but rather cut the long bad RNG streams. For example - someone crafts 6L on 6s item. Lets assume it takes 1k fuses on average to get there. With the chaos correction first 1k fuses are not affected, but the chance starts risisng after 1.5k making 6L almost certain to obtain when 3k fuses are used on the same item repeatedly. Same can be applied to unique drops. If a guy is gettibng his hundredth woodsplitter or readbeak the chances of getting something good (like high-end unique or at least 1ex-worth ones) rises slowly. However any good drops reset it back, so high-MF player wont notice this chaos control, while low-MFers still get something sweet for their efforts. Same with orbs.

And Chris, please, dont cast silence on all these economy topics, it doesnt do PoE any good.
/\ I like your idea greatly.

I'd like the ability to re-roll a stat of my choosing on an item (for the chance of it being an upgrade), such as having a chest with high life, tri-res at decent levels but low in armor and being able to chance higher armor.

I was also thinking as to having it work in a way that you chance increases based on how many 'rolls' you take but not make it too easy that someone just spams rolls to get a better piece of equipment.
You guys = awesome. By far the best game company evarrr!
Amazing! Keep up the hard work, it's all paying off!
Could we get a manifesto about trading?
It's one of the weakest points of the game in my opinion.

I like Path of Exile and I like reading the manifesto's. It creates transparancy about the development part of POE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info