To Lightning Coil or Not?

no
its only worth if you are using abysus
otherwise dont ever consider it
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
"
tinko92 wrote:
Barely mitigate 500 damage? What's the amount of armour you're referring to here?

Now I'm not putting any type of armour here, I'm just putting how armour is very effective

Against a Physical hit dealing 6k damage, which is what Merciless Vaal in Act II, not even the Map variant which probably does WAY more, a slightly above average total of 10k Armor would only mitigate ~730 damage. Now if someone was running IR+Grace+Determination, and had around 20k Armor, it'd mitigate ~1,300 damage.

Now if those attacks crit, Armor would be mitigating even less, but we're assuming Enfeeble is up so crits don't do any extra damage.

Lightning Coil, at the base 75% Lightning Resist, would mitigate ~1,800 of it, and if you also had 10k Armor, would make the Physical portion be mitigated by ~677, totaling ~2,477.
(If you had 84% Lightning Resist, it'd have mitigated an extra ~216 damage.)

Yeah, the Armor isn't useless and DOES mitigate something, but again, this is Merc Vaal, not a Map Boss that probably hits way more, making the mitigation from Armor even less..

In my opinion, nothing beats Lightning Coil + Arctic Armour for survivability, and I try to squeeze them in where ever I can. ^.^

That's not a high armour amount, at all.
High armour is 50k+.
Really high armour is 100k+.

Lets take 50k armour, it reduced 6k hit by 40.09%, we'll round up on 40%. The reduced damage is 2400. And that just armour, now charges, etc. Very fucking powerful.

I'd correct you with LC + endurance charges, far better for physical damage. I find AA just an icing on the cake, and really powerful against certain type of enemies, and that's why I've never invested into being able to run it while moving, I just activate it when needed, and that's very very rare.

Note again, I'm not comparing armour to LC. I just hate to read that armour doesn't do shit against big hits.

"
Sammael wrote:
To Lightning Coil or Not?

no
its only worth if you are using abysus
otherwise dont ever consider it

Now this is a response one shouldn't take into consideration.
"
Emphasy wrote:
While it is basically impossible with just EC to maintain IC forever against a single boss.

There are CoC builds that can maintain a permanent IC.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
Well, so I got my Lightning Coil and 5Led it yesterday, and let me tell you - this Armor is awesome. I'm a little worried about how to deal with things like -max res and elemental weakness maps, but otherwise the physical damage reduction is pretty nuts - I can face tank Carnage no problem for instance.

Even dropping Grace isn't much of a big deal. The only scenario where it hurts your overall damage reduction is in cases where your DR is already higher than whatever your Lightning Res is, and I have a hard time seeing that mattering.

The thing that I'm debating now is whether it's worth keeping Eye of Chayula now that I'm using this. My original thought was to use Blind in either my Spectral Throw or my Double Strike, so was using EoC for stun avoidance rather than getting Unwavering Stance. But now that my physical reduction is so good it doesn't seem nearly as useful as getting a Rare Amulet that either gives me a ton more life and makes Res gearing easier, or grabbing something like Carnage Heart to get a butt load of Leech and going Vaal Pact.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info