To Lightning Coil or Not?

"
Sheriff_K wrote:
@Above, there are mainly 4 ways people use Immortal Call:
1) CwDT (Level 1) + EC + Immortal + Inc Dur
2) CwDT (Level 1) + EC + Inc Dur/Curse AND a separate CwDT (Level 7) + EC + Immortal (higher Level) + Inc Dur
3) High level CwDT + high level Immortal
4) Manually casted Immortal Call with a build that grabs Buff/Skill Duration increasing

Why didn't you list the best combination?

CWDT isn't intended for Immortal Call. Use level 1 CwDT with EC.

Use high level IC with high level Cast when Stunned.

Constant stream of Endurance Charges from constant trigger of Immortal Call. IC goes off (usually) whenever you take a big spike.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Mar 27, 2014, 1:05:49 PM
"
Why didn't you list the best combination?

CWDT isn't intended for Immortal Call. Use level 1 CwDT with EC.

Use high level IC with high level Cast when Stunned.

Constant stream of Endurance Charges from constant trigger of Immortal Call. IC goes off (usually) whenever you take a big spike.

Cast When Stunned is nowhere near reliable, some builds go Unwavering, and with high enough a Life pool you won't even be stunned by anything other than something that'd kill you.

Besides, what you're suggesting isn't really much different than options 2 or 3 that I mentioned. I mention level 7 CwDT since that lets you get 2 ECs by the time IC goes off, and you don't really want CwDT triggering on the small stuff all the time.

"
tinko92 wrote:
Physical damage isn't the most dangerous, not even close.

And that's not true about armour doing nothing against one shots. Because that depends on how big the hit is, if it's a non-buffed Vaal smash in Maze, then armour alone is fine to make you 100% safe from one shots.
Yes, it matters a lot how much armour you stack.
Generally, high armour builds tend to have much more life than others.

However, if we're going to get some extra crispy on our map mods regarding damage, setting up some endurance charges, Molten Shell and AA, it's effectiveness is amazing, the synergy between them.

And, Lightning Coil can be very dangerous in some situations, you can get shocked with physical hits.
I don't know how much damage a Maze Smash does, since I've never facetanked one, but Vaal's Smash is 50% Phys 50% Fire, not pure Phys, granted it's still a huge Phys hit.. But I doubt an average to high amount of Armor would barely mitigate 500 of the damage, compared to Lightning Coil mitigating 35%+ of it.

And yeah, stacking all of those nicely synergizing defensive mechanics is really nice. I've had amazing success with LC and AA in Hardcore. [I] Was unkillable.. :P

As for potentially being Shockstacked, it's not that bad. Everyone should be running a Grounding Flask regardless anyways. And you have to remember, only a CRIT from a mob will Shock you, and the default Crit Chance is only 5%, not even taking into consideration if they were Blinded or cursed with Enfeeble. And anything that CAN Shockstack you, would probably have killed you had you not had LC, so it's not really a risk at all..

I've been using LC on multiple Characters in multiple Leagues, and have yet to get Shocked from a Physical hit [that was partially converted from LC.]
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Mar 27, 2014, 3:13:54 PM
Whoops, double post.. Please delete this.
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Mar 27, 2014, 3:14:12 PM
The problem with hooking it into CwDT is that it only matters how much damage pushed it over the edge. You could take a big wham, and then a tiny sliver, and the tiny sliver would trigger it if that's the amount of damage that pushed it over the edge.

I'd rather keep EC on CwDT and hard cast IC over putting them both into CwDT.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
"
The problem with hooking it into CwDT is that it only matters how much damage pushed it over the edge. You could take a big wham, and then a tiny sliver, and the tiny sliver would trigger it if that's the amount of damage that pushed it over the edge.

I'd rather keep EC on CwDT and hard cast IC over putting them both into CwDT.

Yeah, sadly hardcasting kind of forces you to grab Duration Nodes, and not all builds can dip into that..

Though I've seen people in HC go full glass cannon, and just run 18+sec Immortal Calls... :S

Too sketchy for me. xD
This discussion is silly. Nothing beats CWDT + IC. Physical might as well not be in the game
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
I don't know how much damage a Maze Smash does, since I've never facetanked one, but Vaal's Smash is 50% Phys 50% Fire, not pure Phys, granted it's still a huge Phys hit.. But I doubt an average to high amount of Armor would barely mitigate 500 of the damage, compared to Lightning Coil mitigating 35%+ of it.

And yeah, stacking all of those nicely synergizing defensive mechanics is really nice. I've had amazing success with LC and AA in Hardcore. [I] Was unkillable.. :P

As for potentially being Shockstacked, it's not that bad. Everyone should be running a Grounding Flask regardless anyways. And you have to remember, only a CRIT from a mob will Shock you, and the default Crit Chance is only 5%, not even taking into consideration if they were Blinded or cursed with Enfeeble. And anything that CAN Shockstack you, would probably have killed you had you not had LC, so it's not really a risk at all..

I've been using LC on multiple Characters in multiple Leagues, and have yet to get Shocked from a Physical hit [that was partially converted from LC.]

I know it's phys/fire, but fire part isn't very dangerous because it's elemental, 75+ resists are here.
Barely mitigate 500 damage? What's the amount of armour you're referring to here?

Now I'm not putting any type of armour here, I'm just putting how armour is very effective. Of course LC is better for mitigating damage than any other chest, that's why I'm using it on my Ambush character.

If elemental damage can shock you, there's no reason why a phys crit couldn't, especially with -max map mods.
Whether or not it would kill you anyway, hard to tell, because LC comes before armour and everything.
"
tinko92 wrote:
Barely mitigate 500 damage? What's the amount of armour you're referring to here?

Now I'm not putting any type of armour here, I'm just putting how armour is very effective

Against a Physical hit dealing 6k damage, which is what Merciless Vaal in Act II, not even the Map variant which probably does WAY more, a slightly above average total of 10k Armor would only mitigate ~730 damage. Now if someone was running IR+Grace+Determination, and had around 20k Armor, it'd mitigate ~1,300 damage.

Now if those attacks crit, Armor would be mitigating even less, but we're assuming Enfeeble is up so crits don't do any extra damage.

Lightning Coil, at the base 75% Lightning Resist, would mitigate ~1,800 of it, and if you also had 10k Armor, would make the Physical portion be mitigated by ~677, totaling ~2,477.
(If you had 84% Lightning Resist, it'd have mitigated an extra ~216 damage.)

Yeah, the Armor isn't useless and DOES mitigate something, but again, this is Merc Vaal, not a Map Boss that probably hits way more, making the mitigation from Armor even less..

In my opinion, nothing beats Lightning Coil + Arctic Armour for survivability, and I try to squeeze them in where ever I can. ^.^
How necessary is it to use Purity of Lightning with Lightning Coil for the +max lightning resists?

Using an evasion ranged character with 100% mana reserved for Grace/Anger/Wrath already, and I calculated I am able to cap lightning resist with a single 18% lightning resist node, grabbing Ele Adaptation for 77% resists.
"
Silverthorn90 wrote:

How necessary is it to use Purity of Lightning with Lightning Coil for the +max lightning resists?

Using an evasion ranged character with 100% mana reserved for Grace/Anger/Wrath already, and I calculated I am able to cap lightning resist with a single 18% lightning resist node, grabbing Ele Adaptation for 77% resists.

4 pieces of gear will do it:

so not all that hard
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Mar 27, 2014, 8:52:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info