No gender selection?!

I prefer if each class has its specific gender. Somehow, that a female marauder (for instance) should have exactly the same stats has a male marauder seems awkward to me. Some classes just call for a specific gender, depending on its own specs.
Is this a troll post? Why is it always so important to play a character with the same gender as yours?

"
That's very bad, 2 of my favorite classes are female, ranger and mage(witch) which means I won't be playing them.

You won't be playing them? just for that? What's the logic behind such an argument? They are your favorite classes, you are missing all the fun. Is it worth it to take things so seriously about genders and miss the fun?

Has ever any of you who defend this opinion played a Tomd Raider game? If you were told that the newest title will be a Perfect game, THE game, starring Lara Croft, you wouldn't be playing it?

Why? Why so much passion about genders? It definately has to to with the age. Younger players tend to "immerse themselves into every character for every game", as someone said, but they are missing the whole point.

Open your eyes and see, open your mind and think. And when you do that, you will realise what a waste of time it was, to identify yourself with a game character so much.
---------------------------------------------------
~ Main character: Butcher (marauder, softcore) ~
I think the point to be made here is that everyone always prefers more options for customizing their character. Unfortunately, more options means more time and effort from the devs. Trade offs need to be made. Would you rather have a gender choice or better gameplay?
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
I think the point to be made here is that everyone always prefers more options for customizing their character. Unfortunately, more options means more time and effort from the devs. Trade offs need to be made. Would you rather have a gender choice or better gameplay?

I'd rather have a game to play ^,^ (pretty sure 99.8888646% will agree:p)

Edit: @Xorsist: Yeap, I think its good as a cash shop option. With quite many people thinking of PoE as an mmorpg and not an online arpg (which it actually is), there could be quite a bit of demand for that.

Also, the hardcore role players some claim to be, I'm sure you can handle an opposite sex character ;)

P.S. 90% of internet statistics are made up 50% of the time (c)
Last edited by nermind on Jul 19, 2011, 5:44:44 PM
Last thing one will notice when playing is class gender. Notice it = end owned!
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
Last edited by tormenta on Jul 19, 2011, 5:43:06 PM
I don't mind the fact that classes are gender locked as each has its own backstory etc that wouldn't work for both genders.

I don't play ARPG games thinking i'm the character, if I wanted total immersion i'd play skyrim as a character that looked exactly the same as me.
RIP Bolto
"
Covert wrote:
I don't play ARPG games thinking i'm the character.

Well I do. But, who cares right? As long as YOU get to play path of exile, that's all that matters right?

Double the choices so that everyone can play? No, that's disgusting. Cut the choices in half so that I can play. That's proper.

Also...

"
SpudOfDoom wrote:
It would be absolutely insane to exclude a potential 50% of your userbase like that.

This is one of the dumber thing's I've ever read. Females? 50% of the user base? I would honestly be surprised if females made up at least 50% of the freaking Barbie: Horse Riding Adventures user base.

I will bet large quantities of money that the number of people who will refuse to play this game because of its "pretend to be a woman and like it" attitude FAR outweighs the total number of women who will ever be a part of this user base.
Last edited by Zerocyde on Jul 19, 2011, 6:33:27 PM
"
Zerocyde wrote:
"
Covert wrote:
I don't play ARPG games thinking i'm the character.

Well I do. But, who cares right? As long as YOU get to play path of exile, that's all that matters right?

Double the choices so that everyone can play? No, that's disgusting. Cut the choices in half so that I can play. That's proper.

Also...

"
SpudOfDoom wrote:
It would be absolutely insane to exclude a potential 50% of your userbase like that.

This is one of the dumber thing's I've ever read. Females? 50% of the user base? I would honestly be surprised if females made up at least 50% of the freaking Barbie: Horse Riding Adventures user base.

I will bet large quantities of money that the number of people who will refuse to play this game because of its "pretend to be a woman and like it" attitude FAR outweighs the total number of women who will ever be a part of this user base.

Wow (=

I quite dont know where to start so Ill probably keep it short (:

First, "everyone" can play WoW. And "everyone" plays it. And thosuands of its clones. PoE is aiming to be different from that, it isn't something "everyone" will play, with or without the gender selection. Because "everyone" needs instant gratification, and super simple gameplay that "everyone" can undserstand...well Ill probably stop there (:

Most of the people have been waiting for this since Diablo only because were NOT "everyone". No offense, just saying that theres many tastes, and I don't think GGG plans to get every gamer out there to play PoE.

Also, have you played Diablo? Do you think that someone playing Sorc/Zon/Sin "pretended to be a woman"? Seriously? No offense again, but just ask yourself (=
Last edited by nermind on Jul 19, 2011, 6:47:13 PM
"
Zerocyde wrote:

Sure the fact that I get to play it is great. Did you play D2? I bet 90% of people had a MF female sorc.

Delay the game for a majority of people who don't care,or care little about gender so that you don't feel inscure about playing as a female? No that's disgusting.

"
Zerocyde wrote:

Also...

"
SpudOfDoom wrote:

Note the use of the word potential as in potentially (if everyone in the world was to play POE) 50% of the playerbase would be female.

RIP Bolto
Well I did know a decent number of girls who played D2 back in the day. They didn't all stick to the female classes either. I think most people are able to accept gender locking in ARPGs, even though it is less than ideal.
Available to mediate cross-league trades and mirror services. Send me a PM here or in-game.
IGN: SpudOfDoom | The Exiled - Path Of Exile's oldest clan

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info