A few alpha screenshots!

"
wakko wrote:
"
bkboggy wrote:
"
from day 1 everything about poe makes me want to play it more. i might not even bother with d3 after the joke of class the demon hunter turned out to be.

I feel the same way.... And the skill system looks far more developed in this game. In D3 you're still stuck with skill trees and the only improvement is that you can add some power runes to improve your skill. Kind of like in POE, but... more restricted. In POE you can have any skills, you're not stuck with your tree.

That rune system feels like a copy/paste of PoE's support gems...

Thats one reason I hate blizz nowadays, they just steal ideas.

While I hate to be off-topic, that is just an absurd statement. While they might be a little similar, runes serve different functions than support gems do. Runes can change the way a skill acts altogether, like ray of frost into a swirling vortex. Support gems are to enhance an active skill and make it better and more damaging ultimately. Not to mention, Path of Exile was announced in 2010 (going off of the first press release) and Diablo 3 revealed skill runes at BlizzCon in 2008..
"
from day 1 everything about poe makes me want to play it more. i might not even bother with d3 after the joke of class the demon hunter turned out to be.

I feel the same way.... And the skill system looks far more developed in this game. In D3 you're still stuck with skill trees and the only improvement is that you can add some power runes to improve your skill. Kind of like in POE, but... more restricted. In POE you can have any skills, you're not stuck with your tree.[/quote]

[/quote]While I hate to be off-topic, that is just an absurd statement. While they might be a little similar, runes serve different functions than support gems do. Runes can change the way a skill acts altogether, like ray of frost into a swirling vortex. Support gems are to enhance an active skill and make it better and more damaging ultimately. Not to mention, Path of Exile was announced in 2010 (going off of the first press release) and Diablo 3 revealed skill runes at BlizzCon in 2008..[/quote]

And when did they announce the rune system?

Warhammer online came up with the idea of achive people and store it all in a book. The book of knownledge. Giving the player thophies and titles for doing different things. Also known as achivement. Blizzard implemented this "achivement idea" in Lich king if I remember correctly.

WAR also had pull abilities, knock back abilities, sieges etc. Guess what blizz did?

Anyway this is highly off topic, so we'll avoid talking about this in this thread atleast
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Last edited by wakko on Jul 15, 2011, 4:16:23 AM
Actually it's remarkable how similar some things are between PoE and D3. And I don't think either party "stole" any ideas from the other. Much more likely that they both just happened to come up with the same things.

PoE: Cleave
D3: Cleave

PoE: Enduring Cry
D3: War Cry

PoE: Leap Slam
D3: Leap Attack

PoE: Ground Slam
D3: Ground Stomp

You can see from this video some of them look almost identical.

Also, blizz can't really complain if anyone copies them, given that they lift half of their stuff straight from dungeons and dragons. Just look at D3's Wizard class:

D3: Magic Missile
D&D: Magic Missile

D3: Mirror Image
D&D: Mirror Image

D3: Diamond Skin
D&D: Stoneskin

D3: Disintegrate
D&D: Disintegrate

D3: Ray of Frost
D&D: Ray of Frost

D3: Magic Weapon
D&D: Magic Weapon

D3: Familiar
D&D: Familiar

lol
"
wakko wrote:
"

I feel the same way.... And the skill system looks far more developed in this game. In D3 you're still stuck with skill trees and the only improvement is that you can add some power runes to improve your skill. Kind of like in POE, but... more restricted. In POE you can have any skills, you're not stuck with your tree.

[/quote]While I hate to be off-topic, that is just an absurd statement. While they might be a little similar, runes serve different functions than support gems do. Runes can change the way a skill acts altogether, like ray of frost into a swirling vortex. Support gems are to enhance an active skill and make it better and more damaging ultimately. Not to mention, Path of Exile was announced in 2010 (going off of the first press release) and Diablo 3 revealed skill runes at BlizzCon in 2008..[/quote]

And when did they announce the rune system?

Warhammer online came up with the idea of achive people and store it all in a book. The book of knownledge. Giving the player thophies and titles for doing different things. Also known as achivement. Blizzard implemented this "achivement idea" in Lich king if I remember correctly.

WAR also had pull abilities, knock back abilities, sieges etc. Guess what blizz did?

Anyway this is highly off topic, so we'll avoid talking about this in this thread atleast[/quote]

I know this "stealing" business can look bad, but you can really pick apart any game and say their ideas were stolen from somewhere else. It's just how it goes; people see a good idea and they want to do their own take on it, or make it better. You see that in design, illustration, games, etc etc... Even POE has been inspired from D2, and you can see the great resemblance there.

I think it's easy to hate the top-dogs, but really everyone's taking ideas from each other, and trying to make a good thing better.

I commend Chris and his team though for coming up with something original for a change...

I love lamp
Last edited by jmackay on Jul 15, 2011, 9:48:44 PM
Screens looking good, can't wait to start chopping flesh.
"
wakko wrote:
"
bkboggy wrote:
The first screenshot, are those vendor items?

Actually that is my stash :)

Hahaha so there are players putting more garbage in stash than myself :o)))

"
Malice wrote:

LOL indeed!
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
Last edited by tormenta on Jul 19, 2011, 5:13:30 PM
lol you never know when you need those crappy items xD
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
"
tormenta wrote:
"
wakko wrote:
"
bkboggy wrote:
The first screenshot, are those vendor items?

Actually that is my stash :)

Hahaha so there are players putting more garbage in stash than myself :o)))

U have not seen my
Those screens look fantastic, cannot wait to start playing this fabulous game!!!
Is a screenshot of your Char Info page or the passive skills tree not allowed? Cuz i havent seen any alpha testers post em.
Nothing is true. All is permitted.
Resist. Unlearn. Defy.
[www.theexiledclan.org]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info