1.1.0 Patch Notes - Sacrifice of the Vaal

"
Barandis wrote:
Quite simply, BoR is just too good for too many things. Have you ever sat around in Merciless Sarn, noticing that sometimes fully half of the people there are wearing one? When something is so good that it becomes indispensable and makes all of the other helms second-rate, it's going to get a nerf. That's absolutely one of the most easily justifiable nerfs in all of the patch notes.
BoR's problems were how common it is and its hatedom. It is only BiS for a few builds, and a good helmet and great chest replace it easily. But BoR was common enough to be far more abundant than good helmets and great chests, and kinda became the default melee piece because upgrading was hard. Not because it was a godly piece, but because better than mediocre gear is a pain in the butt to find. Then the qqing begins and I'm not sure I've seen anything that goes through that go unnerfed. Crown of Eyes, your day is soon.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
khemintiri wrote:
inflation in the real world and the game doesn't work the same way though, the good items lets say dual high res + life will become increasingly common, therefore the price will go down , couple of chaos pherhaps . collectors items and legacy items go up in price, ordinary good items go down.

Therefore it is never harder for a new player to start in standard/hardcore leagues , its easier .I can fathom someone saying standard and hardcore will become to easy one day , but saying its unfair and hard for new players is not by any means logical.

Legacy items are fun for people who have them , let them feel powerful it does not impair another persons gameplay , the game is now balanced around the new items , they are sufficient and will still feel very powerful.

In 4 months some new items will come out that becomes legacy , the new players who didnt have any legacy items will then have some , feel nice about themselves and so the cycle goes on.

Yes the players who started the earliest will have some items some people might never have , and it will make them happy.
But only jealousy and greed would make a person feel worse for seing another person happy, and the fault then lies not in GGG but in the person feeling jealous , no ?

In the end i know im not changing anyone's mind , just my 2 cents .

The problem with this is that there is currency inflation, not that there is item inflation. What this means is that even as the price of gear comes down, the value of each of the currency orbs also comes down. What does not come down is the difficulty that a new player has in finding an exalted orb. (I've had two drop in the last two months. I feel exceptionally lucky.)

End result: exalts flow like water once you get rich enough to be able to trade on that level or own some IIQ gear (which will be even more expensive now), but the poor people still just get to look on wistfully because they'll probably never find more than one or two exalts in the wild. That an item drops from 2 ex to 1 ex because of oversupply doesn't matter when 1 ex is still completely out of reach.

I'm going to prefer to take the more optimistic approach, which isn't that jealousy and greed makes people feel worse for seeing another person happy. For me, it's a new player coming in and seeing, either in game or in many, many forum posts, this neat idea for a build that it turns out that they can't do because they can't get the gear. That's not "I feel bad because you have stuff," it's "I feel bad because I saw something neat in this game and I have no chance of being able to experience it."
Last edited by Barandis on Mar 4, 2014, 10:39:41 PM

I work full time, have a fiance I"m planning a wedding with, play tennis and (currently due to the frigid weather in MN) am taking some extra training classes through work instead of playing tennis. I have 1-2 hours a night, maybe 1-2 weeknights during the week (been a tad higher lately due to my fiance being away on business training), with a bit of "binge" playing every other weekend when I don't work. I clock on average something like 10-20 hours a week play time total (20 hours being very high), and I can guarantee you that within 1-2 weeks of release I'll have a character at least in low level maps, possibly eeking on the lvl 70 maps.

If you take 4 months to reach end-game content then you are doing something wrong with your leveling or farming, or most likely, both. If you want some help on how to maximize time as a person who can only spend a couple hours a night playing then let me know I'll be happy to help where I can, but don't sit there and act like it's the game's fault you can't reach end-game.

check your build
Check your leveling habits
Check your farming habits
Check how your time is spent

There are a lot of reasons you can be struggling to reach endgame.

Also, to all the "casuals" (I hate that term) who are complaining about not having enough time to play, and about how legacy items are making it "impossible" to compete with older players: Relax! most people playing 8-10hrs a day still won't find or be able to afford the super expensive legacy items. Those are reserved for people who play the market.

I'm sorry but you just cannot legitimately have a job, wife, kids, ect and expect to be on the top at ANYTHING in the ARPG/MMO world. These games are based on making you better and more powerful the more time you spend on them. So your meager 10-20 hours of play a week that is dwarfed by the people putting 50+ hours in a week will NEVER compete with them or the gear/wealth they can amass (normally, you can always get super lucky, it happens). You know what though? THAT'S OKAY! If you understand that then please stop whining about not being able to compete with these people, very few can, play and enjoy the game for what it is and what you can get out of it and stop worrying so fucking much about what others have amassed in 30x your playtime.

Put simply: "if you play for under 40 hours a week and you try to be one of the best; you're gonna have a bad time"[/quote]

+1, would read again
"
Barandis wrote:
"
khemintiri wrote:
inflation in the real world and the game doesn't work the same way though, the good items lets say dual high res + life will become increasingly common, therefore the price will go down , couple of chaos pherhaps . collectors items and legacy items go up in price, ordinary good items go down.

Therefore it is never harder for a new player to start in standard/hardcore leagues , its easier .I can fathom someone saying standard and hardcore will become to easy one day , but saying its unfair and hard for new players is not by any means logical.

Legacy items are fun for people who have them , let them feel powerful it does not impair another persons gameplay , the game is now balanced around the new items , they are sufficient and will still feel very powerful.

In 4 months some new items will come out that becomes legacy , the new players who didnt have any legacy items will then have some , feel nice about themselves and so the cycle goes on.

Yes the players who started the earliest will have some items some people might never have , and it will make them happy.
But only jealousy and greed would make a person feel worse for seing another person happy, and the fault then lies not in GGG but in the person feeling jealous , no ?

In the end i know im not changing anyone's mind , just my 2 cents .

The problem with this is that there is currency inflation, not that there is item inflation. What this means is that even as the price of gear comes down, the value of each of the currency orbs also comes down. What does not come down is the difficulty that a new player has in finding an exalted orb. (I've had two drop in the last two months. I feel exceptionally lucky.)

End result: exalts flow like water once you get rich enough to be able to trade on that level or own some IIQ gear (which will be even more expensive now), but the poor people still just get to look on wistfully because they'll probably never find more than one or two exalts in the wild. That an item drops from 2 ex to 1 ex because of oversupply doesn't matter when 1 ex is still completely out of reach.

I'm going to prefer to take the more optimistic approach, which isn't that jealousy and greed makes people feel worse for seeing another person happy. For me, it's a new player coming in and seeing, either in game or in many, many forum posts, this neat idea for a build that it turns out that they can't do because they can't get the gear. That's not "I feel bad because you have stuff," it's "I feel bad because I saw something neat in this game and I have no chance of being able to experience it."

As a returning player (played in beta then stopped) this is exactly how I view the situation as well. I'm not upset if someone is way more powerful than me, I'm upset because I have only ever found two exalts from drops and seeing stuff up for 40 exalts that is pivotal to builds I want to play sucks.
Totem Nerf !? Totem Nerf !? Totem Nerf !? Seriously? They WERE kind of fun to mess around with but now they'll be useless imo. I'm also concerned about the Life Leech changes. I Hope that doesn't mean the Death of us GS Mara's.
"
Barandis wrote:
"
MunsuLight wrote:
Seriously I just don't understand the BoR "supporting skills" nerf.. You better have a good 5L than BoR Now..

At least, I got a now legacy BoR

Quite simply, BoR is just too good for too many things. Have you ever sat around in Merciless Sarn, noticing that sometimes fully half of the people there are wearing one? When something is so good that it becomes indispensable and makes all of the other helms second-rate, it's going to get a nerf. That's absolutely one of the most easily justifiable nerfs in all of the patch notes.

And legacy BoR will stay too good for too many things... They aren't nerfing the "old" ones. Then it isn't really a nerf.

That one will never be nerfed and will give me an advantage (if I use it, or if I sell it).
fkxLegacySpectral : lvl 97 Raider ST HowA [Legacy]
fkxBreachSlayer : lvl 95 Slayer Blade Flurry [Breach]
fkxCrockett : lvl 94 Saboteur Ice Trap [Perendus]
fkxRampage : lvl 94 Witch Fireball [Rampage]
fkxShadow : lvl 95 Shadow FP/CI [open beta]
About BoR:

In merciless Sarn Encampment I always see over 9000 naked men wearing the same helmet. For me that means the helmet is obviously overpowered.

About complaining people:

Do you think it's better NOT to nerf overpowered skills and items, or what?

Leaving items as is = ruining game balance.
Buffing alternate items = ruining game difficulty.
Nerfing legacy items = ruining existing characters.

I think, current GGG balance politics is the best compromise.
"
Savaging wrote:
Totem Nerf !? Totem Nerf !? Totem Nerf !? Seriously? They WERE kind of fun to mess around with but now they'll be useless imo. I'm also concerned about the Life Leech changes. I Hope that doesn't mean the Death of us GS Mara's.

Since they were improving spell damage and elemental damage nodes, I think they kind of had to. It's hard to know what the balance is between spell damage buffs and spell totem nerfs until we get to play it. I imagine GGG knows what the balance is and did what they could to get it right.

I feel the same way about the life leech. I'm very interested in it, in part because my main character uses it and in part because I planned on my new Ambush character using it. But I can't get my head completely around what it will be like, and I expect I'm just going to have to wait until tomorrow and see for myself.

"
fkxDuelist wrote:
And legacy BoR will stay too good for too many things... They aren't nerfing the "old" ones. Then it isn't really a nerf.

+1. Agree entirely. For the same reason that getting rid of IIQ doesn't really affect much at the beginning, since IQ gems are still floating around in pretty big numbers. Or why I don't care about AA being nerfed...

That's still with me however much they nerf it.

Of course that's all academic because I think I'm going to abandon this whacked out economy for a while and play Ambush League. My seven or eight IQ gems will be for sale!
Last edited by Barandis on Mar 4, 2014, 11:11:13 PM
Um, is anyone else excited about the change to barrage except me? They made it way better.
I've been playing standard and prices are outrageous. BoR was 40ex or more no matter what. In domi I could have got it for the "low" price of 12ex. Makes me shake my head...
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
| The STFU Truck |||""'|""\__,_
| _____________ l||__|__|__|) |
(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info