Firestorm Templar [my current build]

"
seg_fault wrote:
@Teflondon1975 I followed your recommendation and added the spell crit multiplier nodes that I picked up with my 3 passives I got tonight.

I thought I would make a quick post to update my build+passives on the original post.

I took down Piety on normal pretty easily on the first attempt. Now into Cruel difficulty and I am still one shotting most things. I haven't upgraded any of my gear for a while now so I am very excited to do that at the first opportunity.

Nice! keep us posted :) Out of curiosity how does your current gear look stat wise right now? I had the most outrageous luck today(how do I post verified equipment here btw?) I just started in HC league so I was doing some Brutus runs for gear and in only 3 runs I got 2 Uniques lol. I was like .... and some .... haha. One is a belt with 10% HP(much needed) and about 55-60 str(im now set for str for a looong time) and some other goodies and then a necklace that adds 30 Int, 45 mana, 10% cast speed and 50% of my block rate counts for spells to. Sweet!
IGN - Dapper_The_Strapper
"Stripper with a strap-on"
To post your gear just click on you character avatar in the top left of the screen then click on an item to display it..

I am currently level 42... i will post the rest of the stats next time I am in game.

I have just killed brutus on cruel first time also. I think dmg is a winner. :)
ohh! ok :) thanks a lot. Yes, these are the THREE items I found in short succession lol. To funny.

And to add. in the boots I have firestorm + life gain on hit. This does not work, nor does it work with straight Fireball it seems so spells do not count as attacks :P Boo@
The added fire damage support gem doesn't work with firestorm by the way, since firestorm isn't physical.

That said, I am running a similar build using a 4L searing touch with great results. However, fireball as a skill is lackluster. Running the traditional support gems such as lmp or chain results in fireballs not exploding. Seems to be best to forget about fireball when you have enough support gems for firestorm.

You should also add molten shield into your build, molten shield + iron will = dead people.

My build as of level 41:
Last edited by sizekingddd on Jan 29, 2013, 9:13:32 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I see people have pointed out added fire doesn't work on firestorm.

The best gem to support firestorm with is increased duration. Since the fireballs fall every 0.15 seconds if you increase the duration you get more fireballs per cast and thus more damage. Basically it gives you 50% more damage on your firestorm for a level 1 gem to somewhere in the 80's at 20 (may be outdated values).
Well I had a reply done a while ago and it did not seem to post =/ So to sum it all up....is fireball Really that bad? Firestorm spam and molten re-casting does not exactly sound like fun imo lol. I'm going to stick this out and make it work somehow but I Will say that my staff wielding zero damage node marauder was killing faster with just sweep/Heavy strike. So was my Ice high crit freezing pulse spam monkey witch. Once I got LMP things became a joke on that witch lol. I was hoping fire would at least be in the same ballpark. I'm hopeful :) We'll see yet! It takes some time to get out of all the defensive stuff all around the templar. I really need to get myself a LMP and try it for myself! thanks :)

Ohh. Intrets, I see your build is Extremely defensive in nature. How is your killing speed(I'm not even going to ask how survivable you are lol) and are you only using firestorm/molten etc or some of the other elements as well?
Im not sure if anyone else has covered this, but if you look at the wiki page for firestorm
it says that it has a 20% dmg effect and goes on to say that gems like +chaos, lightning and ice (maybe fire too???) only have 20% of their dmg added on.

have u checked the tooltip for firestorm?
"
seg_fault wrote:
To post your gear just click on you character avatar in the top left of the screen then click on an item to display it..

I am currently level 42... i will post the rest of the stats next time I am in game.

I have just killed brutus on cruel first time also. I think dmg is a winner. :)

I read your post. I am slightly more defensive variation than you and as I near the end of act 2 things have turned for the worst. My kill time has increased a lot. Do any other support gems work well with firestorm.

I'm using increase burn, chaos damage and increased radius. I think I'm going to need to change, maxing radius has not helped as much as I thought it might.

Update how things are going as we are reading along. I have dropped back to a decoy totem for now to keep progressing.
@killercreek450 Well, yeah, I believe we all know that. The thing is, 20% of added lighting damage apply to every single fireball and when you land 5 of them (out of 9 initially) you get the full damage from the support gem. Furthermore, if you manage to land all of them you will get 180% lightning damage.
Well I'm almost level 30 now, finished act 2 and I hate to be a negative nancy but I have to write down my feelings on it "So far" Keeping in mind it Might change further into this build. I'm starting to see why almost all the templars you see are LS spam monkeys lol. I did it on my shadow already, Really do not want to be the same thing again just with a different look in town haha. So I'll just do a little comparison with my defense spec marauder that is also just at 30. Maybe 31 now. Although I really don't feel to to slow in regular content having played several classes now I KNOW it is at least in comparison to them(LS shadow, LS marauder, even my defense/sweep marauder and my friends something or other ranger lol) Where it really becomes apparent is bosses.

The rumors are true...at least at this level and this gear stage. Fireball sucks. I said it. It's terrible. Fire's ST killer is outdone by firestorm of all things on bosses. Why does our main AoE out damage our main ST spell? @Shrugs@ I can't say, but Firestorm kills bosses slightly faster than slow so I'll take it hehe. I actually ran Val overseer 3 times on my mage templar and in between runs I did it on my FULL defense marauder. And I mean ful defense. Not one dps node taken yet I think. I'm sure you can guess who took about 4X as long and that is not an exaggeration :( I could sit there and do heavy strikes for about double the listed DPS as fireball( I just checked, my HS dps is near 400 for 8 mana and faster. FB is 140 dps@15 mana per) for less mana and faster. And take more hits...with more hp, and more armor, all the while knowing from experience now that sweep is better AoE than firestorm at this gear level lol.

I'm going to keep going for sure but I really think I know why so many spell witches are heavy into totems and summons as well. Spells on their own just don't really cut it. Again, just so far and at this level. Maybe it changes but yikes, it's bad in comparison lol. I'll get back to leveling tomorrow and hopefully finding some gems or new equipment will help. We'll see :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info