Firestorm Templar [my current build]

"
Teflondon1975 wrote:
Well I had a reply done a while ago and it did not seem to post =/ So to sum it all up....is fireball Really that bad? Firestorm spam and molten re-casting does not exactly sound like fun imo lol. I'm going to stick this out and make it work somehow but I Will say that my staff wielding zero damage node marauder was killing faster with just sweep/Heavy strike. So was my Ice high crit freezing pulse spam monkey witch. Once I got LMP things became a joke on that witch lol. I was hoping fire would at least be in the same ballpark. I'm hopeful :) We'll see yet! It takes some time to get out of all the defensive stuff all around the templar. I really need to get myself a LMP and try it for myself! thanks :)

Ohh. Intrets, I see your build is Extremely defensive in nature. How is your killing speed(I'm not even going to ask how survivable you are lol) and are you only using firestorm/molten etc or some of the other elements as well?

I didn't post my build but I do have a hardcore fireball/firestorm Templar. Fireball with LMP does pretty good damage with all the three fireballs hitting the same target and firestorm is a safe aoe option. I hide behind my minions so I am pretty safe, unlike a freeze oriented character where you have to get quite close to do damage.
I imagine in default or if you can handle it on hardcore, with the Searing Touch you could do a fair bit of ranged damage but I don't know how it compares to something like a bow character late game.
I am glad someone else is running this build into their 50's, because I want to try this after I am done with my Marauder. I played a Firestorm Templar in CB and found it to be insanely powerful, just make sure you get Leap Slam for your ohshit.

I skimmed through most posts and did not notice much talk of a Decoy Totem. This thing is amazing and can easily tank a boss for 3-4 hits, allowing you to drop an insane amount of Firestorm stacks.

Also, I don't recall people talking about how you can have multiple stacks of Firestorm going at once, which gets insane dps with cast speed bonuses.
"
Albane01 wrote:
I am glad someone else is running this build into their 50's, because I want to try this after I am done with my Marauder. I played a Firestorm Templar in CB and found it to be insanely powerful, just make sure you get Leap Slam for your ohshit.

I skimmed through most posts and did not notice much talk of a Decoy Totem. This thing is amazing and can easily tank a boss for 3-4 hits, allowing you to drop an insane amount of Firestorm stacks.

Also, I don't recall people talking about how you can have multiple stacks of Firestorm going at once, which gets insane dps with cast speed bonuses.

I use decoy all the time. Almost every fight really lol. It really is great and helps tremendously. Although 3-4 hits...maybe the reg hits but any sort of large/special hit from a boss and it's gone instantly. As it should though :) For exaply vs Val act 2 boss it lasts one laser and no more.

You Can have overlap with Firestorm but realistically speaking it's only the tail end of a second. It takes 1 second base to cast and lasts 1.2 Much later in ones career you could have two running pretty well. You mentioned playing a marauder right now and having played the Firestorm temp in OB. I've played both now in OB to 30(40's marauder in CB) and at least at this level my marauder out performs my fire templar 2 - 1. This is my Marauder spec so Far

As you can see it's 100% defense and I've not even spent a full 8 points IG yet because I'm not sure which direction I'm going to take and it works so well as is. I'm certainly not trying to crap on my fire templar lol. I WANT it to work out nicely but firestorm spam(Fireball is even worse) does not compare to heavy strike/double strike or even Viperstrike spam for single target. Not even close actually which is why I'm trying to think of ways to improve things here for my templar :) I'd rather not have a big 2hander in my off weapons swap with HS slotted for bosses :P I'm a caster after all.
IGN - Dapper_The_Strapper
"Stripper with a strap-on"
"
Intrets wrote:

I didn't post my build but I do have a hardcore fireball/firestorm Templar. Fireball with LMP does pretty good damage with all the three fireballs hitting the same target and firestorm is a safe aoe option. I hide behind my minions so I am pretty safe, unlike a freeze oriented character where you have to get quite close to do damage.
I imagine in default or if you can handle it on hardcore, with the Searing Touch you could do a fair bit of ranged damage but I don't know how it compares to something like a bow character late game.

Yep, sorry that was somebody else that posted their build right before your post :) Yeah, minions make everything so much better. You have no idea how much I'd prefer to NOT need them though :( I have not had the fortune of finding a LMP yet so I can't comment on it. I just started in the HC league so my finances there are low lol. Soon!
Start time :) Goal for tonight is trading for LMP and faster projectile or faster casting. I'll report back in 5-6 levels with how things are going! Act 3 here we come.
I'm level 32 now, in act 3. I'm trying to follow the original build, and it works pretty well so far. Killed Vaal with no real problem, but now in act 3 survivability is a bit low compared to what it used to be (although my equipment isn't good at all). I am running fireball with +added lighting and firestorm with +burning. Can't say fireball is bad, killing time is about the same as firestorm. Looking for a flame totem and fire trap now =)
And let the world burn.
Level 46 so far. Act 3 cruel. Cruising through content. Fireball/firestorm with molten shell as a defensive ability. Stack health and use blood magic. Using searing staff. Both my dmg and survivability are strong right now.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEDxgSzBS0FQgVbBg4J9g48FCAUTRRxGS4ZhRo4GmwfAiFgJIskqiWtJ9Un7Si1KU8qjSycNsU22DbpOlI62D0PQKBBlkbXSRtN2FBHUFBUSVYEVw1YY13GXz9gS2CIYVJj_XTtdPF673y7ghCCm4Zgh2WLjIx2jM-QVZeFnC2drp65ns2iAKcIpzCnhK6zr7e1BLndxFjE9sWKxtjSIdSP2CTZYdrd37Dfv-Fz42rkIudS7DjsVe0g7w7vTvAf8WzyL_Pd9kg=

Got some dex for leveling fork, lmp, ect. Life regen/life stack for blood magic. Blood magic is amazing. Spam all day while stacking survivability instead of worrying about mana nods/wasted mana rolls. You could forgo going down for the extra diamond skin for some more crit chance or cast speed, though dmg isn't really a problem.
Fire build is what i was aiming for with my templar. This is my first character and i'm only lvl 23. I just found this stave
I'll put my build too kinda similar - i want to go to witch passives for mana regen (getting in the way some fire dmg) - yeah i have mana problems. Unfortunately i dont have firestorm yet so i use fireball on my staff (i'm lvl 27 and i do ~270+dmg for 20 mana)

Build (don't look at those two points - you know which :P)
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABLMFWxRNPAVG103YXcZgbXrmfVOBb4M4hMSLjIx2m-ydgJ48n9-iALUEtobUfN3z4XPnau0g73w=
Oh and i have crappy gear so...

Edit: played 4 levels with the staff it's good for lvl 20+ (maybe 30), i'm really curious if it's good for 40-50.
Last edited by Paturica on Feb 1, 2013, 8:40:19 AM
"
AllGodsDie wrote:
Level 46 so far. Act 3 cruel. Cruising through content. Fireball/firestorm with molten shell as a defensive ability. Stack health and use blood magic. Using searing staff. Both my dmg and survivability are strong right now.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEDxgSzBS0FQgVbBg4J9g48FCAUTRRxGS4ZhRo4GmwfAiFgJIskqiWtJ9Un7Si1KU8qjSycNsU22DbpOlI62D0PQKBBlkbXSRtN2FBHUFBUSVYEVw1YY13GXz9gS2CIYVJj_XTtdPF673y7ghCCm4Zgh2WLjIx2jM-QVZeFnC2drp65ns2iAKcIpzCnhK6zr7e1BLndxFjE9sWKxtjSIdSP2CTZYdrd37Dfv-Fz42rkIudS7DjsVe0g7w7vTvAf8WzyL_Pd9kg=

Got some dex for leveling fork, lmp, ect. Life regen/life stack for blood magic. Blood magic is amazing. Spam all day while stacking survivability instead of worrying about mana nods/wasted mana rolls. You could forgo going down for the extra diamond skin for some more crit chance or cast speed, though dmg isn't really a problem.

Good to hear things are going smoothly. I decided to stay in Act 1 Cruel and farm ledge/Brut+merv for a while as my gear was terribad so I'm sitting at level 42 almost 43 and Just finished act 1. It IS getting better now although still far more time on boss than previous builds/classes I've played. Fun though! and I believe this build/style is definitely gear dependent and pretty late blooming. What are you using in your FS/FB spells atm for support gems? I have STILL not been able to aquire a LMP or even a faster projectiles. I DO have a increased duration which works nicely in Firestorm(As well as a Item Rarity + Quantity gem for fun lol).

I could have purchased a searing touch tonight but it was A:Costly and B: I would have lost a little bit of spell damage(Definitely made up by the +2fire gems) and 4 gem slots. I figured I would just wait to get a higher level variant of this staff to try it out. Our builds are definitely different play styles :) I like both actually, for different reasons. Yours is much more defensive but then that comes with going blood magic as well. Needing all those HP/Regens etc. I took a bunch, maybe totaling 96% or so which is fine for the style my guy will be. I believe yours must be in the 150%+ range and more resist nodes.

Here is my completely unrealistic(or just a long ass time to get there) 111 Point Build As you can see it has absolutely arse loads of crit chance and damage bonuses. Going all the way down the west side for that extra fire damage was no problem either as I'll try to fit Iron Will into my main skills anyhow for the Str bonuses being added to spell damage. As far as not having Blood magic I think they end up in the same place later on really. Almost nobody has mana issues in later levels and even at 42 I don't really. It's hella fun though having it nice and early :P Keep us posted on how it goes through Merciless :D
Hey Guys. Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. I will be pumping some more hours into this build on the weekend. I will also update the original post once with latest build. I have been struggling for time this week, but hopefully now I can dedicate a weekend on this. Fingers crossed for the servers this weekend. :)

Currently I am level 43.. I am hoping this weekend to upgrade some gear but also to progress further into act2 cruelty.

As far as the passives go I am gonna pick up the remaining spell crit available next to the witch starting point. Then I am gonna make a break for the Eldrich Battery.

I planned next 16 passives in this fashion.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbEmkUTRccGmwfAiqNNsU22EbXSRtN2F3GYG1xeXrmfVOBb4KbgziHZYuMjHaOZJeFnC2dgJ2unjyiAKcIr7e1BLaGtvrUfNgk3fPhc-Qi52rsVe0g73zwH_Fs96YsnK6zBUJBloIQ37BVrkSrj6YtH20ZwfOCHtsLiELyHQ==
Last edited by seg_fault on Jan 31, 2013, 7:29:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info