Path of Exile: Sacrifice of the Vaal

"
DalaiLama wrote:
Spoiler

Well... one could use the same argument that GGG is not judging you, so you shouldn't be forcing your "pointless judgement" on their game. However, I do think that your opinion, and the 'why do you care' both have a right to be represented. Both of you put forth some reasons to support your position. Both of you chose to ignore the other person's reasons.

This is a draw.

As for the points you put forth:

1) GGG has clearly stated that this is an adult game.

2)Nudity is not more offensive than violence. For the average person if they had to witness someone in real life naked and having sex versus someone being tortured, this would be blatantly clear.

In PoE, we are getting a taste of both so far.

Spoiler
Many people have a love/hate/fear/obsession/repulsion thing going on when they witness something sexual, especially visual nudity. Culture, religion and upbringing aside, there is a physical reason for this.

Our visual cortexes are right in the center of the occipital lobe which govern our emotions. Our logic is carried out in the frontal lobe. The occipital lobe is far older, being a part of the basic mammalian brain and it has a faster and greater response (neurochemically) than our frontal lobes.

It is more difficult for people to control this response, but it can be done.

3)When you look at large corrupt empires - such as Rome, you will find that libertine attitudes are prevalent. Sarn and the Vaal are no more vulgar than Rome was. Look up the word fornix and its relation to fornication. In Rome, any nook, arch, or semi-private location was good enough for sexual activity.

4)The announcement clearly states why the nudity/sexuality is part of the story.

Hers was a sovereignty of seduction.

..of attraction and manipulation

She wished to paint her people in shades of immortal beauty. Instead, she drowned them in blood.

It is clear from this that Atziri's sexuality and her obsession with the body is part and parcel of her rise to power and the doom of her subjects.

Simply put, you could say that Atziri's depravity killed the Vaal. An entire civilization wiped out because of her viewpoint on sexuality. Without knowing more of the story so far, it seems that to Atziri, the sexuality of a person wasn't just a bodily function, but an ultimate physical and spiritual goal.

5) Dancing by itself was considered offensive and evil (and in some places, still is).

6)Witchcraft is considered offensive to many, people are still killed for the crime today in parts of the world.

7)GGG could take out all sorts of things from the game, violence, weapons, magic, capitalism. Instead of being exiles (which is a negative idea and degrading to the player), we could be welcomed to Wraeclast as immigrants.

Instead of battling monsters, our characters would attend school, work jobs (for living wages of course) and pay taxes.

Path of Happy People

[/sarcasm]

That sounds so much more fun, doesn't it?

[/sarcasm off]

Holy shit man...even Shaq never dunked on people that hard. Excellent post, by the way. ;)
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Spoiler

Well... one could use the same argument that GGG is not judging you, so you shouldn't be forcing your "pointless judgement" on their game. However, I do think that your opinion, and the 'why do you care' both have a right to be represented. Both of you put forth some reasons to support your position. Both of you chose to ignore the other person's reasons.

This is a draw.

As for the points you put forth:

1) GGG has clearly stated that this is an adult game.

2)Nudity is not more offensive than violence. For the average person if they had to witness someone in real life naked and having sex versus someone being tortured, this would be blatantly clear.

In PoE, we are getting a taste of both so far.

Spoiler
Many people have a love/hate/fear/obsession/repulsion thing going on when they witness something sexual, especially visual nudity. Culture, religion and upbringing aside, there is a physical reason for this.

Our visual cortexes are right in the center of the occipital lobe which govern our emotions. Our logic is carried out in the frontal lobe. The occipital lobe is far older, being a part of the basic mammalian brain and it has a faster and greater response (neurochemically) than our frontal lobes.

It is more difficult for people to control this response, but it can be done.

3)When you look at large corrupt empires - such as Rome, you will find that libertine attitudes are prevalent. Sarn and the Vaal are no more vulgar than Rome was. Look up the word fornix and its relation to fornication. In Rome, any nook, arch, or semi-private location was good enough for sexual activity.

4)The announcement clearly states why the nudity/sexuality is part of the story.

Hers was a sovereignty of seduction.

..of attraction and manipulation

She wished to paint her people in shades of immortal beauty. Instead, she drowned them in blood.

It is clear from this that Atziri's sexuality and her obsession with the body is part and parcel of her rise to power and the doom of her subjects.

Simply put, you could say that Atziri's depravity killed the Vaal. An entire civilization wiped out because of her viewpoint on sexuality. Without knowing more of the story so far, it seems that to Atziri, the sexuality of a person wasn't just a bodily function, but an ultimate physical and spiritual goal.

5) Dancing by itself was considered offensive and evil (and in some places, still is).

6)Witchcraft is considered offensive to many, people are still killed for the crime today in parts of the world.

7)GGG could take out all sorts of things from the game, violence, weapons, magic, capitalism. Instead of being exiles (which is a negative idea and degrading to the player), we could be welcomed to Wraeclast as immigrants.

Instead of battling monsters, our characters would attend school, work jobs (for living wages of course) and pay taxes.

Path of Happy People

[/sarcasm]

That sounds so much more fun, doesn't it?

[/sarcasm off]

So good.
Last edited by mattman1477 on Feb 14, 2014, 10:14:59 PM
I am a new player, started just about a week ago, and I don't see a reason why new players should be able to catch up to someone who has been playing for a year ago or so.

The legacy uniques thing kinda suck, but do we don't actually need it to play. People playing on casual shouldn't have that much difficulty getting through the game anyway, join a random party if you're stuck! I don't know how challenge runs work, but don't you start with an empty character? Not really affecting those type of players.

Being so heated up over a change that haven't been made is not exactly reasonable, they could be changing for the better, who knows? So don't whine about it until it happens.

I do agree with the opinion that drop rates need to be changed. Seriously, Unique bosses don't have an absolute drop of at least one rare? That's bull! Rares aren't exactly good if they don't have what you need on them anyway, so why not let them drop a bit more frequently?
That was one of the most beautiful shutdowns to one of the 'x offends me, no clue why but make it go away, also don't judge me' crowd that I've ever seen, DalaiLama.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
ThornOfSteel wrote:
Looking forward to more lore regarding the Vaal and Atziri...people will be offended but that's how the cookie crumbles. Sounding great so far, GGG!

Not lore, but some speculation:

How does Atziri get released?

anagraming "Sacrifice of the Vaal" (since conspiracy >logic)

we find out it all started in a Seedy Sarn Saloon whose moniker shouted out "loose women" - the

"Erotic Lava Fish Cafe"

A feverish lactic Oaf,

Vaal ace officer hits

Erotic Lava Fish Cafe.

A cave for ethics fail

Hive of stiffer cloaca.

Ho - "I crave facial fest"

If Vaal Frees- Chaotic

feast of archaic evil

Chaos free- civil feat

Hi Sir, Face of Vaal Sect

And thus, Atziri was free.

So what can we expect in act IV and V?

Once again turning to hidden anagram info:

Act IV

Sea Cliff Rhoa Active

A race of evil catfish

Face Vaal foe - Sir Itch

Act V:

Face rhoa fecal visit

Roaches fail act five

This was awesome. Bravo, sir!
Awesome news!
Steam: teemu92
"
Does this mean the end of domination league?

yes, featured leagues last for 4 months each
DalaiLama

Amazing!
Someone might have said it, yet i am too lazy to read everything. I think that broken mask will be map. It would finally make sense to have 4 slots there. You know, you will have to either drop 4 pieces by yourself, or maybe they will be tradeable and you can help each other in getting parts and then completing map as a group.
"
DeathRiver wrote:
I am a new player, started just about a week ago, and I don't see a reason why new players should be able to catch up to someone who has been playing for a year ago or so.

<SNIP>

I do agree with the opinion that drop rates need to be changed. Seriously, Unique bosses don't have an absolute drop of at least one rare? That's bull! Rares aren't exactly good if they don't have what you need on them anyway, so why not let them drop a bit more frequently?

I don't have any advance information, but I do have my fingers crossed that GGG is going to make battles more rewarding.

I don't think they would be taking out increased quantity items just to make the drops worse for players. I have to speculate that taking the item quantity mods out will let them boost magic finding. I would also guess that the element of challenge will boost drops in some way. A level 94 character running a level 66 map isn't experiencing much challenge as a level 68 character running level 66 maps.

I am basing this guess off of the way GGG handles item drops for characters who are leveling in areas that are close to the character level. IMO - it would be cool if you continued to push your character (instead of over leveling in a specific zone) and got much better item/currency rewards because of it.

In any case, GGG has earned my trust in how they handle balancing things. When they do get it wrong, the players let them know right away, and GGG takes a second look it. If they have overdone things, GGG tends to fix them.

I have a feeling this expansion will make things very challenging, boost drops somewhat and provide some seat of the pants excitement.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info