*** [2.0] Gellig Mortezzah's level 100 Aegis End-Game Melee Life Boss Tank ***

Awesome guide, first build, using it to level and loving it. Thank you so much for putting so much time into this.
Last edited by gewgleit on Oct 11, 2014, 12:38:02 PM
Hey everybody,

So I went through Mortezzah's tree and found an improvement with zero downside for 1 hand sword users, upside is you gain 20 strength which equals more life/damage.

IMPORTANT:
The difference is in the Marauder start, there is 50% Enhanced ONE HAND melee damage and 20 strength supported by 4 skill points next to "Born to Fight".

The change is to take the 4 Skill points for the new Sword and Life as shown below. This is equal to 50% enhanced sword damage/ 10% max life/ 20 Strength.

Next: It takes 6 skill points to do this change, since there are multiple "5%" life nodes you will have to remove two of them, or as I did in my tree, I removed a 6% Marauder/ 30 Max life with 10 Strength.

Start by removing 2 5%Life nodes with regrets, then use the two 10 Strength nodes at the bottom of the marauder start (connected to Warriors Blood) to reconnect the line. Use 4 skill points to remove the 4 melee damage nodes next to "Born to Fight."

Redirect those nodes to the sword/life tree on the left (Blade of renown)

Walla: Free 20 Strength. Tweak as you need to.

This is my tree but has the change which will work for the original build here, Mortezzahs original tree is still best for non sword melee users.

Passive skill tree build
Last edited by Grindrix on Oct 13, 2014, 9:18:05 PM
Interestingly enough, I've been playing a slightly tweaked build to increase DPS. Some changes I made a while ago include taking those Sword nodes you mention, removing Hard Knocks, Mana Flows (and the 8% node by it), and take Deep Thoughts (and the 8% node by it)... giving you one more node: either Melee Damage and Life, or Life Regeneration, or maybe more % health. Then losing the EC nodes, losing a few HP nodes, taking almost the entire By The Blade nodes, losing Armor Mastery and a few other small tweaks.

I also have upgraded some of my gear over the last 6 months :) My new game goal for a while has been 100% legacy/mirrored/unique (with best rolls unique) gear (to be usable in my pure tank or my dps tank build). I'm pretty close to that goal... once I get there, I'll update my post with the info. Send me a tell if you have any 'old' mirrored melee gear you no longer need and want to trade or sell :)

With my new gear and setup I am now at about 50k Reave (goes up to like 80k in great party auras), 8000 HP, 1300 ES, 75/66 Aegis block (cost: less health, way less armor thus less es replenishing on block, less regen, slightly less chaos res). I use CWDT/IC/EC (switch to castable SE, EC, IC, ID when you really need it) to help compensate for the armor loss.

Have been using this new DPS tank build for a while now, so am optimizing it rather than my original pure tank build for a while ;) I went ahead and updated my post with the "original" tree updated slightly to include minor optimizations for it (a pure tank build, as opposed to my new dps tank build).
IGN: Mortezzah, prolly playing on character Gellig
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/781590, for an end-game boss tank guide.
Last edited by Mortezzah on Oct 14, 2014, 8:34:34 AM
That's great. Find a new DPS variant!
Last edited by Grindrix on Oct 15, 2014, 3:13:50 AM
Hello there,

I am a player from Taiwanese server, relatively new to the game,
I am currently play a marauder center with "molten strike" skill gem, with pure fire damage.
It has a relatively decent damage, but as I continue to level I find its difficult to keep my char from dying. I am level 86 and the death penalty is still endurable. But I often heard my party members (level 9x) saying "Oh~ my whole day(s) is wasted" after killed by a map boss, and I don't really want that..

This gives me a huge incentive to switch to a very tanky build till I reach level 100.
Since in the majority time I play in a party, dps is really not the main concern,

and this is the reason I want to seek some advices from here, the most incredible tank i see in this game,
my first question is that, in your opinion what would be the priority/ direction for my stats to upgrade for more tankiness/survivability:

my current stats:

life: 4017
es: 215
armor: 14000(with aura)
max res
chaos res: -35%
block:69% (with tempest shield)
spell block:51%
life regen: 136
5 red balls

my second question is what we be the top priority in changing my gear.

head: devoto's devotion
shield: Lioneye's remorse
armor: 6l lighting coil (I already see the needs in getting this one off)
shoes: Rainbowstride
and rings/belt/gloves are mainly focus on hp/res/armor

as with Taiwanese server, we only have 500hp version Kamos and our Aegis only replenishing 2% armor from block instead of 4% and no corrupted gear yet and no Atziri hence not related gear.

my final question is that is belly of the beast a good choice for hp?

really thank your time...
I would say increasing your life is very important. 500 Kaoms is okay, Belly of the Beast is okay as well. If you go Aegis, then get more es. Take your block/spell block up regardless. Increase your regen if possible, and make sure you have max life leech. If you have Rainbow Strides, I assume you also have Stone of Laz? You could go for endurance charges on cast when damage taken, or with spell spell/enduring cry self cast. Once you get to 7k you should see a significant increase in your ability to stay alive. Go for HP on all your gear as you upgrade.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/781590, for an end-game boss tank guide.
Hey Mort,

I've been following your build and its absolutely solid all around. Thanks a lot for sharing!
I only have a slight issue, I'm finding it hard to follow with the edits you make on the original post and I only bring this up as a suggestion. Do you think you could maybe edit your original post a bit more clear to people following? For example, I noticed you now have Heavy Strike in your helm linked with Added Fire, Wep Ele and Wep Phys. Its not overly confusing and I understand you play around with testing a lot. But is there a way you could log the changes in the build so that people following on a weekly basis can clearly see where you changed and why? Not taking anything away from this build, I've admired it for a while now and finally began building it, just kind of confused with some of the changes. (Another example: Herald of Ash now used linked with RM, Hatred and Discipline)

Thanks again! Cheers

-Chaser
That's a good idea and I understand where you are coming from. I'm thinking of showing 2 builds with slightly diff specs / gear in the same post to clarify where I am now. I've upgraded my gear and can see why it's confusing.

I'll update the post from top to bottom to clear the ambiguity up. Thanks for the heads up.
Awesome! Again, amazing build and thank you for sharing it!

Edit: Hey just a reminder, some players would probably benefit from that leveling guide you posted on page 37 of this thread. Was very helpful for me as I was leveling.
Last edited by TMHChaser on Oct 16, 2014, 2:49:34 PM
hi

I play your build recently. I found that after i got all the passive points for block and with a Aegis Aurora, i only had 71% block. I wonder how you get 75% block. Did you use tempest shield? But i didn't see that in you gear and video.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info