Dying Breath 1.0.6 Unique

"
Curses - The increased effect of curses on enemies is an AURA effect, so using this as a swap to cast curses does nothing, since the bonus effect is lost when you aren't holding it.
Ally Damage - The second aura effect. ALL allies deal increased damage, including yourself, your party members, minions of you and your party members, and converted enemies (and any others that I couldn't think of).

Does the increase effect of aura from the tree & Inner Force works with it?
Last edited by Yesu on Jan 28, 2014, 12:17:19 AM
"
@Kasub
I agree. I was constantly pushing to have higher value's, but the balance department has a crippling fear of anything related to curses being broken. I thought that since all the value's are % scaling (the bonus is based on what you already have) that it could be higher without making it drastically stronger in either early or late game. I lost that argument. ;_;

That really confuses me. Even a character relying on 2 curses gets drastically worse vs a curse immune rare/bosses(which have curse resistance) and of course against curse immune maps. Taking extra damage and losing a shield slot surely deserves higher numbers.

Curses already have tons of hard enemy counters so I see nothing wrong with a powerful unique having powerful stats. I'll refer to searing touch again which has absolutely insane stats for a fire build, is far more versatile and has no hard counters like curses.

I can't disagree more with the balance team.

Edit: If it works with animate guardian it can be quite good though.
Last edited by kasub on Jan 28, 2014, 12:20:35 AM

No seriously, why?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
@Xavderion
LOOOOOOOOL!
Why indeed...
Balance department, y u no let my unique be stronger?!

"
Yesu wrote:
Does the increase effect of aura from the tree & Inner Force works with it?

The aura effects are not modified by anything that modifies auras YOU CAST (since you're not casting it).
It won't be effected by Inner Force or anything that modifies buffs either, since the auras aren't considered to be "buffs" that are on you.
In-Game-Name: Lezli
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 28, 2014, 12:23:46 AM
It was a nice idea for an item that would be playable in a duo/trio or something in theory, but it kind of fails in practice. Keep in mind my perspective is from Hardcore/Nemesis

In practice, its kind of trash because:

18% dmg taken is just bad. Really, really bad. Instantly not map worthy item from this alone. I'm not sure why GGG seems to think a unique has to have a cripping shitmod in order to be made when it's not necessary especially for low level items.

The intangible benefits, curse aoe and aura aoe would be decent except the level range this is aimed at, those aoe are so pathetically small anyways this wont really matter. Inc aoe size on curses and auras is not bad, but due to math, you'd want this at high lvl not at lvl 20.

The tangible benefits, cast speed and party dmg. Well. Cast speed you can get 18% on a 1her and not lose a sheild. The 18% inc party dmg is pretty decent for those early levels.

If I was making this item with the same goals you had in mind, here's what I would have done.

Zaanus's Summoner Staff of lvling Team Support
Curses in this item are always lvl 18
Increased cast speed of Curses by 18%
Increased cast speed of Minions by 18%
Auras in this item have 100% inc AoE
Mana +18%
Increased team dmg 18%
Only curse and aura gems work in this weapon
+1 max curses
this staff.. wts thisStaff 1alch

it is not a summoner item, no idea why this is called so

it has drawbacks worth best uniques and yet provides a 'meh' bonus to curses (the same curses that have like 25% effectiveness vs bosses) and miniscule dmg bonus

summoner is much better with necro aegis + all res shield (So no need to run purity) so he can equip one more dmg aura and deal A LOT more effective dmg (And his party, too)

this unique would make a nice belt or ring, but no way a 2h
@Zaanus
It's absolutely a softcore item. I knew when I was making it that anything that reduced survivability would likely prevent it's use entirely in hardcore leagues.

If it had given +1 to number of curses, it would have had very little else, just like the other uniques that gave +1 to curses. I felt this isn't something I wanted in a 2H weapon.

Although curses is ONE of it's themes, I didn't want it to be the MAIN theme. I wanted the main theme to be "making a sacrifice for the sake of the party", just like any "support" role is in any other game. Although I had the option to make this a Curse specific or Summoning specific item, and Rory and I even discussed both, none of the options really popped out at me (none of the mods I wanted could have had values high enough to justify having).
Unfortunately, I don't think it hits what you were aiming at. I'm the kind of person this is aimed at. Hell I have a supportish summoner while my gf plays LA ranger.

The opportunity cost of using this doesn't seem to outweigh just throwing on some cheap 1c 50% spell dmg, 20% elemental dmg, 15% cast speed wand and spamming arc/whatever as we level.

You'd probably be more valuable to the team just casting gimp spells in terms of clear speed/safety than you would be using this staff which requires everyone stand on top of you to receive 1 passive pt of increased dps.

I really like the idea behind it, but the % increases are just too small for the levels they're aimed at to make it worth using even for your intended niche. I feel your pain though, ggg doesn't always seem to have a firm grasp of things when making items.
Well let me just say this is total BS.

They get all squeamish, forcing such a huge drawback to a unique like this,

Meanwhile when those other diamond players created Bringer of Rain and Aegis Aurora, those were okay.

Total crap. I'm actually kinda pissed

EDIT

And let's not forget Voltaxic Rift and Romira's Banquet of infinite cold snaps. Smooth, GGG. Real smooth.
Last edited by Stealthbug on Jan 28, 2014, 1:20:36 AM
@Sidtherat
Well, summoners tend to use curses/aura's more heavily than other archetypes, so although it's not a summoner specific item, it fits the theme and would likely be used by those characters the most.

@Zaanus
Where did you get the idea that the range of the aura was so small? ^^
Well, you can still spam arc/whatever as you level. The 70% increased damage is only a 34% difference assuming your girlfriend does as much damage as you, and the difference becomes even smaller if you have more people, she does more damage, or either of you have any kind of minion. Then it comes down to whether you need the extra resists/life/block chance a shield gives you, or you're fine taking 18% more damage for a much bigger mana pool and a little boost to your curses.
Like I've already said, I'd be much happier if the value's were higher. I thought I had asked for a specific number, but I actually asked for a "max possible value" and 18 was the answer. XD

@Stealthbug
I actually brought those uniques up myself while discussing the item, but it didn't make an impact. XD
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 28, 2014, 1:53:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info