We welcome First Impression posts! Please be nice to those posts.

"
GForce2 wrote:
FUCKIN hate this game!

Same ole EQ crap when you die, but 10% loss on maps, that is the same reason so many people left.

Only way to play the game is with multiple characters and rare gear! Thought it might be different, but it’s just the same old shit, grind, grind, grind!

Not surprised considering the designer couldn’t have an original thought if his life depended on it!

Sad!

You definitely do not need multiple characters, neither hard to find gear to progress through maps.

There are many ways to reach red maps on a budget, but you need to be knowledgeable about the game, and build your character well.

I would tell you how to improve your character, but you are not posting from your main account so ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Lack of melee combat... it almost feels everyone is a mage... in Diablo II u had endgame builds u had to click on the unit and hit it face to face
Hello,

A little backstory on myself. Diablo was the first 'real' video game I ever played, and I spent a good amount of time on launch day enjoying it. Despite being a /little/ under the age bracket it was intended for ;) Over the years I've played on a number of similar style games, and then larger scale MMO's that have flooded the market and oversaturated things a bit.

Recently an RL friend suggested to me that I give Path of Exile a shot. Despite the game being out for 5 (ish?) years now, I hadn't really been digging into new games in that time, instead focusing more on single player games.

I was given one very strict instruction from my friend. /Do not look up anything/. He wanted me to play straight on in, and suffer. Oh boy did I!

My first reactions while playing was 'Holy shit its Diablo 2' because it had strongly given me those vibes. I very much enjoyed it, getting back into what was to me a great 'single player' experience. The story is good, the voice acting is good, the quests are not bland and I was invested in them. I later did start skipping dialogue because they talk slow, but I at least read it!

As for play experience... While GGG has provided a number of in-game help files that were very helpful, there was some very basic things I remember that frustrated me to hell and back trying to figure out. For example, one of the very first experiences!....

HOW DO I LEVEL UP THIS DAMN GEM!?

I had seen the little pop up on the right side of the screen. I went to my inventory and tried to click it, tried to shift click it, tried to poke the gem, took it out of the armor, essentially stood there staring at it and beating my face off of it until I finally caved and googled it. Do you know how hard it is to google something that simple?! Well, imagine the amount of kicks I gave to myself when I realized the little pop up 'notification' telling me that a gem had levelled was actually the button you use to level it. Derp. That one was on me.

But otherwise, my biggest 'oh no' moment was when I opened the passive skill tree on my first level up. Cue my friend demonically laughing in the distance. To say I was overwhelmed slightly by it would be a severe understatement. Even now, I'm just slightly overwhelmed. Slightly.

However, my first character is level 82, I have completed a third of my first Atlas maps, and I am slowly chunking through them. Two weeks of owning the game, over 100 hours into it and likely many more to come.

Big things I /LOVE/
- The gem-system of skills. On the fly changes are awesome.
- PoE's trading post on the website. In game linkage? The lazy 'whisper the guy exactly what you want' option? The extensive filter, price list? Its amazon buying of in-game items made even easier and faster! It even shows online and AFK! I can't express how much this system baffled, boggled, and amazed me all at the same time.
- The playerbase. The few times I've traded, talked, or interacted with anyone they've been polite, friendly, and helpful. Despite me playing this game until Act 10 as an almost single-player experience, partnering only with a few RL-friends I knew before joining.

CON/PRO?
- The depth. I've barely scraped the surface and made it to where I am, but I can tell my build is subpar. I struggle and die frequently, but can push through with determination and playing very careful and dodgy. And then a guild-mate offers to run maps with me, and I watch the guy obliterate the entire map in under 30 seconds, running faster then a mongoose on cocaine while spraying death in all directions. Oof. Humbling. I've got a lot to learn, but the resources are out there to learn it. The sheer amount of options in items, gems, and passive combinations leads to likely tens of thousands of builds, and likely thousands of VIABLE builds, but the knowledge needed to parse it on your own with no help feels years away from me. I don't like to just follow someones guide (I very loosely followed someones guide for my current build) but I can tell that if I try to go at it alone, I may not make it even to act 10! This is both a good and bad thing. Its rewarding to those that spend the time to get deep into it enough to know the mechanics and interactions, but also daunting for those outside looking in and wanting to be where they are.

Little rambly, but hopefully got my point across!

Cheers, I very much enjoy the game and think you guys did a great job on it!

- Rover
GGG, my new people! Shout out to CJ in customer support!

Being a D&D DM, map creator, story writer and such, I know the value of feedback good and bad. ESPECIALLY first impressions so here we go:

Like many, I played the good ol' Diablo back in the day. D2 was actually my very first blizz game. Its lack of instruction and direction coupled with the dark feeling and sense of danger really had me on edge as a young lad. I'm certain you've heard stories like this a thousand times over. so I'm just gonna jump right into what I think of PoE being someone who just a little over a week ago knew NOTHING about the game at all.

Frist of all, for me, the setting is the star of the game. We're not heroes. We're not saviors. We're SLAVES. Discarded men and women left to rot or worse on an island often thought of by those back in Rome as hell on earth. That's some shit I can REALLY get behind. The thought of coming from literally stranded on a beach and beating zombies with clubs (marauder for life) to fighting a god who's story I've been listening to all the way through the game and how the people of Wraeclast fear Him and yet know, the only way to defeat Him, is to stand against him. Meeting the masters and each one having their own feel and personality and place in the world and DON'T get me started on the setting art. The landscapes are absolutely astonishing. There were times I forgot I was playing a game I didn't spend a single cent to play. Every new act felt like a completely new section of Wraeclast to explore and slaughter in. The setting is absolutely phenomenal and I absolutely love it. 10/10.

The infamous skill tree of HUNDREDS of different options and paths to choose from is fuckin' top notch. I, unlike many others, watched a video or two (I really don't like delving into ANYTHING without a bit of research) about the very basics of the skill tree and coming from playing Final Fantasy X back in the day (not to be confused with FF10) it had a very similar system in its character progression in terms of scope and complexity. The consequence of locking in that point every level (or side quest) and it being almost permanent really keeps you on your toes every time you level and not having that glorious moment just be a MEH experience. Every single level matters in the long run because of how scarce skill points are and the fact that sometimes the better option is to just start over from scratch is an excellent method to really driving the point of "this game has consequences" home and I applaud you all sticking to your guns. Skill tree for me, 10/10

How did I hear about the game? Well no one here is a stranger to the Diablo Immortal debacle. I've loved D3 for a long time, sunk many hours into it since its launch. HOWEVER, D3 lacked my favorite aspect of any game: consequences. So when the Diablo panel ended, I was crushed to say the least. I bitched about it for a few days and I remembered my buddy had been telling me about PoE for a while now. I had heard a lot of good things and thought "Why not? It's free!" Little did I know it would enrapture me like it has. 1 quick download and watching vids about the game in the mean time and here I am.

I could sit here and type all day about every feature but for the sake of this just being first impressions (and I want to get back to decorating my hideout) I'm gonna wrap this up.

For who it matters to, from a nobody like me, PoE gets the most solid 9.8/10 I can muster. I don't like that the classes are gender locked and I think the animations of melee abilities leave just a tad to be desired. Very small gripes, absolutely nothing that has turned me away form the game. The fact the PoE is free to play almost feels criminal and I promise you will have my financial and moral support in the future. I ask ONLY that you all never forget who you are and why you get to do what you do. Thank you ALL for a wonderful experience and I'm really excited to be there for Betrayal and start my first fresh league. Thank you for reading and from one creative to another: you really are doing great stuff. God bless you on this fine day, tala moana, and thanks for letting me bend your ear for a moment ;)

-Sinwitdagrin (you can call me Tony) :D
Last edited by Sinwitdagrin on Dec 1, 2018, 2:12:43 AM
I'm sorry, I said I was done but I HAVE TO HAVE TO acknowledge the wonderful community of players in global chat that are, at ANY time of day/night, ready to help ANYONE who needs ANYTHING. Hats off to you all of you who help new peeps like me out.
okey
Last edited by moskal212 on Dec 2, 2018, 4:43:15 PM
BV and Poets pen the same other than Zerphi nerf

Same Meta.

No melee buff.

MS actually loses wildfire and +1 max enchant.

Unless you're going meme build melee is dead.

Kind of garbage.
delete
Last edited by Niiyos on Dec 7, 2018, 5:48:29 PM
I really think you should work on something that saves people from getting into queue, when they get disconnected.
should deffinately be possible to create a relogin timer for like 15 seconds that saves ur spot ingame or something.

Because I just got 2 dc's in a row.

waited 10.000 queue, to get in for 2 minutes, and getting returned to a 10.000 queue again.

that is rubbish in my opinion.
Well the new Style of no old Masters even in the STD league sucks.

As told, i came here cause WoTank sucked.

I started in the end of Abyss i think and that was the cooooolest thing i had ever played.

Deleve was very intressting too.

The idea of investigation is very nice BUT combining it with the "Bestiray".... REALLY?

"Bestiary" which sucked so much your statistics were crying and you stopped it as soon as possible.

Its another idiocy too see that people can not over come something bad, and want to reinvent the wheel again, even when it sucked last time.

Now you push me back to WoTank.

If its gono suck, then i can at least play with my friends in sucking.

It insults me the most, as i did invest in plenty of stashes, and there is no way i can have my fun back.

Look at Steam reviews closely, maybe i get right in the end.

Son long, that was nice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info