We welcome First Impression posts! Please be nice to those posts.

Ok. I don't have first impressions directly but as someone who plays standard a lot I have been getting lots of first impressions from new players. I truely hope someone from GGG reads this. Its VERY important, I am talking to someone in chat right now in the game that is bitterly disapointed with end game in standard. He said the only other game he's played is Skyrim when he came here. spent 120 hours plowing his way through all the acts.

First. You GOT to do a better job of telling NEW PEOPLE to NOT JOIN STANDARD. I run into these people ALL THE TIME, and inform them that they need to move to league where there's a higher grouping population, and the server is fresh.

Next (and this guy I am talking to brought this up) this guy just got to the Epiologe and is getting butchered in zana daily maps with his crappy hack job skill tree and gear. He's horrified at the thought of starting a brand new character from scratch and can't afford to respect his entire tree. New players to Standard (and maybe Leauge) NEED one or two passive tree resets.

These 2 things I think are hurting your player base badly, the first in picituclar. I feel really bad for this aussie guy im talking to, to spend so much time enjoying the game then to feel screwed when he gets to the atlas part. Somehow he felt through the cracks.

If I wasn't trying to get into gradschool right now id spend some time making a video to link that would go over things that every player needs to know that YOU NEED TO TELL THEM.

I love the fact that you still cater to the old player with new content but you have to do something for the new players that come to this game for the first time.
"
Quiex__VZ wrote:
Ok. I don't have first impressions directly but as someone who plays standard a lot I have been getting lots of first impressions from new players. I truely hope someone from GGG reads this. Its VERY important, I am talking to someone in chat right now in the game that is bitterly disapointed with end game in standard. He said the only other game he's played is Skyrim when he came here. spent 120 hours plowing his way through all the acts.

First. You GOT to do a better job of telling NEW PEOPLE to NOT JOIN STANDARD. I run into these people ALL THE TIME, and inform them that they need to move to league where there's a higher grouping population, and the server is fresh.

Next (and this guy I am talking to brought this up) this guy just got to the Epiologe and is getting butchered in zana daily maps with his crappy hack job skill tree and gear. He's horrified at the thought of starting a brand new character from scratch and can't afford to respect his entire tree. New players to Standard (and maybe Leauge) NEED one or two passive tree resets.

These 2 things I think are hurting your player base badly, the first in picituclar. I feel really bad for this aussie guy im talking to, to spend so much time enjoying the game then to feel screwed when he gets to the atlas part. Somehow he felt through the cracks.

If I wasn't trying to get into gradschool right now id spend some time making a video to link that would go over things that every player needs to know that YOU NEED TO TELL THEM.

I love the fact that you still cater to the old player with new content but you have to do something for the new players that come to this game for the first time.

You look at his struggle through the eyes of a veteran, who's been there, done that. It's important to realise that your point of view is biased around your knowledge and experience in the game.

You started like him as well, not knowing what to do, how to build or what to look out for. You got brutally butchered by certain mods/maps/mobs/bosses and played bad builds with improper gear as well, we all did. This is a vital part of the new player experience.

You have to realise that people need to learn to play the game, as any game. Nobody is a master at a game right out of the gate, that's the point. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being like him, because finding out about all these possible builds and learning how to play is probably the most fun you'll have on most games.

It's about the journey, not the end. Pampering players, protecting them, giving them second chances, holding their hand is a bad idea if you want to make a good game that caters to serious gamers.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 30, 2018, 10:15:18 AM
120h in delve and:
1 delve boss. Cool!
0 4s resonators. Cool!
1 relic key, in legacy i have 3-4 keys in this play time. Awesome.
So? Where the content? U sold to tencetn and ggg is now kgg - korean grind games? I am not dissapointed, its obvious.
"
tracer011 wrote:
120h in delve and:
1 delve boss. Cool!
0 4s resonators. Cool!
So? Where the content? U sold to tencetn and ggg is now kgg - korean grind games? I am not dissapointed, its obvious.

Gating content behind RNG dynamics has been GGG's go-to strategy for a while now, and it's frequently criticized.

It'd be interesting to see a dev manifesto on why they now prefer this method.

Remember Breach League? That was a grind as well, but your progress to Breachlords was far more deterministic. It wasn't all-or-nothing RNG.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
tracer011 wrote:
120h in delve and:
1 delve boss. Cool!
0 4s resonators. Cool!

Gating content behind RNG dynamics has been GGG's go-to strategy for a while now, and it's frequently criticized.

It'd be interesting to see a dev manifesto on why they now prefer this method.

Remember Breach League? That was a grind as well, but your progress to Breachlords was far more deterministic. It wasn't all-or-nothing RNG.

Have you ever met Chayula ?

Breach league did have more "small" easy challenges in the list though.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 1, 2018, 10:21:17 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
Have you ever met Chayula ?

Who?

Spoiler
Point taken. But I haven't seen a single boss yet in Delve, let alone the rare ones which might be considered analogous to Chayula.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Hi,

Context:
I played this game on an off for a very long time. I play only SSF hardcore after it was added. I enjoy the torture of a few missing pieces to the build and the rush of excitement when finally managing to chance or find it.

I dont like log out macros, in general i die if i do something stupid. Im old and slow.

Good:
I think Delve is amazing overall. Its interesting, although repetitive somewhat and lootwise great for ssf hc for sure. I think the story is cute about lighting up the mine. Realistically Ill never make it to 300 or 600 but its tickeling my brain how to go deeper and deeper. Very cool.

I also think the game is finally in a good spot. Melee is still missing something, but overall its interesting to play and dieing feels more like an invitation to innovate the build rather than a good bye - which is important for me.

I have never finished atlas always stuck around 9-10 and havent done many bosses.

Loving the zana changes, although compared to other masters she is much much better now, its not really interesting to do the others.

Bad

A:
This league I threw away quite a bit of characters due to various bugs in the delves and my own mistakes.
1. Flare bug out monsters invulnerable even though lit up.
2. Got stunned throwing last flare. (my bad)
3. Darkness damage eats mana when mom, cant move, cant cast, surrounded by
mobs in darkness aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah panic (my bad)
4. server lag on amsterdam. Tried many things to improve my lag before
switching to frankfurt. Cost me 3 chars.

B: There is a gap, including after the sulphite changes, where you can collect sulphite up until innocance, farm the temple just before him and go to delve to around 55-60 depending on how much you have and literally speed run all of act 5-10 after that. Delve are a bit like blood aqueduct. I dont like it that much because its way faster than playing normally and progressing.

C: Story line feels tedious and boring after a few rips. Especially collecting all of the skill points again and doing lab runs again. What gets me going anyway is to go further on the atlas and in delves. So i find myself doing 10 hrs of boring stuff to get back to end game. Price of hc ssf i guess.

D. Some fights are super hard compared to others. For example uber lab comes into play. I feel forced always to build a character that can beat izaro without risking it all.

E. Some encounters in delve are completely harmless, but with just a small buff with maps mods turn them into psycho level. turbo crit for example.

F. I personally think the unkillable allies is too sick for delve of some glitchy encounters where that mob is untargetable/invulnerable and all mobs are immortal.

Improvements:
A. Fortify.... there is something wrong with it. I would be nice to have a way of getting perm fortify with some serious drawbacks around it. I feel forced to always have a way to fortify because otherwise the defences are so much weaker. This lead me away from some less pop builds that might be fun too.

B. As im ssf hc there are lots of things i dont bother with, trade and social stuff. But I do thinks its a bit sad that you cant invite to hideout and hangout with guild etc.

C. B kinda touched this, but I would like love if there was such a thing like group/guild ssf. Because then it would matter what you find to somebody and all uniques wouldnt just become alch shards.

D. Would be great if story line had a speed up or soemthing after it was unlocked once. Not sure if thats a good idea though, but its rather painful now, although.... i have to admit all acts feel slightly better and faster the more i level chars through them.

E. Scion, I love scion, but feel forced to pick a different class for every build I make.

F. Elementalists free ele prolif is soooo strong compared to other champs. Not sure what to do here, but it seems to be the superior choice as soon as Im doing multiple types of ele damage.

G.Templar, or more specifically inquisitor, was one of my first 90 champs i loved his kit, but now apart from the crit, it seems like everybody can do what he does.

H. Maps are hard to find in the beginning until you unlock a good number like up to t10, then they start raining everywhere. So I absolutely love the new zana roll-a-different-map-on-same-tier mod. Very nice. I would love to see it go all the way to t16, maybe with an added price.

I. Build enabling uniques. Some build just need that particular unqiue to run, if you get its amazing if not, not so much. I like the div cards so much in ssf, but what happened to some of them. In incursion I was grinding for rise of the phoenix like a beast all the places where the card could supposedly drop, without getting a single card. Maybe there was a note somewhere that i didnt see, but it felt super bad to make a build that needed it and put massive amounts of time into getting it, without even a trace of that item.
In short it would be nice, if there was a clear rarity table or something for these cards, or maybe all items. Like there is for rolls of mods for jewels for example. You published the dice values for Fossils. Would be nice to have item values as well.... or at least know if they are disabled when im planning builds for next league.

Thank you for a great game.

-Bam

I started playing in breach league and never gave my 2 cents about the game but here it is.

Not saying the game is perfect by any means but this is by far the number 1 arpg available right now. When you see videos on youtube with titles like "GRIM DAWN: BEST ARPG ON THE MARKET???" Dont click them, the answer is no. None of these games holds a candle to poe.

The levels of complexity with gems, skills, ascendancys, unique gear and normal gear make for a very compelling experience that leaves me sitting on path of building pouring over numbers.

This is the true successor to diablo II (which is partially your goal im assuming considering the homage you pay to them in various ways with names of areas and such throughout the game) everyone else is still banging rocks together.

If you guys had came out with a game like this in the late 90's you would be as big as blizzard.

Good job.

Hello, I am an actual new player who is willing to take the time to express my experience.

So I was suggested this game by a friend, because I can get quite into MMORPG's especially if they have isometric overhead view and retro style graphics. I found the game no problem, downloaded, updated, all good. I finally pick a class and play for about 5 minutes, understanding everything fine and liking the way everything is going, when the disconnections started happening.
Not every time I change maps, but about half the time. And I kept getting sent back to the first town because of it, so it starts to impede my ability to progress.
I tried the global chat, asking about the issue and if it was common.
I was flamed by about a dozen different people who said such confusing things as that it was my "dial up AOL" and that I needed to "update netscape navigator" so needless to say they offered zero help. One person was willing to speak like a normal human being and suggested I try a different gateway, and said that while there are some server issues that this level of problem is not normal. I explained I'd tried a couple different gateways, but that the problem continued, so I gave up.
By the way, I have a dedicated broadband line that works perfectly well for AAA titles, so no it's not "shit on my end" as one helpful troll put it.
I could put up with toxic players, or bad servers, but I can't handle both. Fix either one and I'll be happy to try again.
Last edited by sknarp on Oct 21, 2018, 5:17:45 PM
"
I could put up with toxic players, or bad servers, but I can't handle both. Fix either one and I'll be happy to try again.
1st thing: sadly, GGG can't fix it.
2nd thing: go here, follow "Disconnection issues / latency / "lag" / de-sync problems" section. It looks like problem is on your end (not just your computer/router but also probably your provider). Otherwise everyone would be DCing and there would be quite a shitstorm about that.

PS. You've found at least one helpful person in global? You're already more lucky than most of players.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info