Set items in Path of Exile

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

*For the record, this won't ever happen, CI is fundamentally broken on an item because the ability to turn on/off the "1 maximum life" thing at will by removing and replacing the item breaks the game. But it works fine for the sake of example.

I can't disagree, but in many ways, regret orbs then are also pretty game breaking... You should probably make regretting out of a keystone more expensive than regretting out of a normal node (such as 5-10 regret orbs per keystone.)

I think people are failing to look at Set items in the right light. Some unique items are actually pretty questionable for end game. And as long as the set bonus was mild enough, then we would never break the ability to acquire better items for such slots. You're either already forced into it, or not. Imagine small health, energy shield, or resist bonuses that help make these such items just slightly less painful, and not even "good enough" for many people's demands.

As fantasy, imagine Koam's Sign. This example isn't perfect because there is not currently a +1 endurance charge corruption implicit. However, if one existed (and was very rare to balance), a very good rare with 80+ resists and 70+ life and such implicit plus other desirable offensive mods could indeed still be a viable replacement. Also, a very unlikely do to high rarity corrupted Koam's with +2 endurance charge would also still be another potential future replacement. So, now imagine with other items as a set bonus you get +35 life, or +20 fire resists (perhaps both with 3 items.) Does a little life or resists keep you from finding a slot improvement? Not if they are mild enough.

Ok, now let's come back to reality, and not talk about a non-existent implicit corruption. Is there not a set bonus small enough that it makes such a set viable? Yes, it does need to be a very mild bonus. And yes, there might be very few sets. But claiming that sets break the game is just a lack of imagination at how little set bonuses could be.

I predict that people will just continue to label many uniques as useless, and similar for sets that contain those same items. These people fail to recognize the unique features of these items, and would still continue to for the sets. But perhaps that's how you know that you've set the Set-Bonus at the right very mild level.

Yet, I feel such sets would be good for the game. Is making very low level common unique items very slightly less painful to plan around, such a horrible thing? Would these sets still not be a starter build that you still replace as long as the set bonuses are very mild? You just need unique items to be mild enough, and set bonuses to also be mild as well. And on many items, I think we're already there.

But it gets even more fun. You could create "unique" mods that land on rare items, which could synergize with other rare items.

I feel that sets and synergies, done right, only give us more things to think about, and thus expand the game. CI from sets is stupid broken. 10-15 resists, or 20-35 life from sets is far from broken... or just balance it to the right place until you get it right.

More is more, when you get it right.
@ Gregoriel

I do like your point and would like to ad one aspect.

I loved and created some set-using chars in some arpgs just for the sake of having sth like a transformation when i finished a set or for that shiny lil aura -> Trang Oul, Tal Rasha,...
It also gives some cosplay feeling: Start feeling like Mavina wearing all of her armor.
No need to be super strong!

Sets can indeed be implemented imho if done like Gregoriel says: Mild bonuses... Balance it!

I agree, for the most part, with the mild set bonus premise, but I think that if you were going to have a balance, there should be some sets that have substantial set (both full and partial) bonus. Such sets could be designed for end game content or just specifically for high-leveled characters. If all sets only had mild/minor set bonuses, it would take any serious incentive away from actually donning the set in the first place, not to mention it would kinda trivialize their existence.
(1) Implementing set items as a prefix: +1

(2) Including set items such that best rares are still best: +1

I especially like (1) above. More specifically:
- Green item: limited to one prefix and one suffix, can appear on any item type.
- Prefix specifies the Set. e.g.: "Kaom's"
- Equipping two or more items of the same Set provides additional bonuses.

e.g. Kaom's:
2 items: +20 life
3 items: +20 life, +10% resist all
4 items: etc.

e.g. Shav's:
2 items: +20 mana
3 items: +20 mana, +20 ES
4 items: etc.

This idea resolves the "PoE is a loot based game and players should always be able to find upgrades" issue, because the suffix of Set items and the base item type aren't fixed. And as (2) above, best rares should be best, this doesn't change that.

Also I foresee more revenue for GGG from stash tab sales.

Surely, a WIN/WIN for everyone?
This entire thread is a waste of breath.

Sets are a GIMMICK for people who like to collect, and have an obsession with all things that are "meant to go with each other".

When it comes down to it, there are plenty of unique items in the game that already appear to be meant for eachother, they just are not in a set. What difference does it make if an item has mods already built in, or needs a second part to gain these mods? It's just flashy nonsense and I'm glad GGG doesn't want to implement a set system.

Besides, GGG already has a "set" in the game, it's called Berek's. Now that is something I would like to see more of...
"
TrashMe wrote:

And yet, you posted in this thread.

"
TrashMe wrote:
Sets are a GIMMICK for people who like to collect, and have an obsession with all things that are "meant to go with each other".

I don't have such an obsession. If you want to share your opinion, do so. There is no reason to throw these types of comments at others.

"
TrashMe wrote:
What difference does it make if an item has mods already built in, or needs a second part to gain these mods?

You could gain the set bonus mods by any combination of set items. This is a huge difference, leading to more customization options.
"
wookie919 wrote:
"
TrashMe wrote:

And yet, you posted in this thread.

"
TrashMe wrote:

I don't have such an obsession. If you want to share your opinion, do so. There is no reason to throw these types of comments at others.

"
TrashMe wrote:
What difference does it make if an item has mods already built in, or needs a second part to gain these mods?

You could gain the set bonus mods by any combination of set items. This is a huge difference, leading to more customization options.

I don't see the customization. The methods that people describe that ultimately can provide some cool mechanics that improve customization with sets, can be better achieved using other methods that don't come with the draw backs:

Spoiler
Dyadus
Adds (170–200 to 190–220) Fire Damage in Main Hand
Adds (170–200 to 190–220) Cold Damage in Off Hand
(10 to 15)% increased Attack Speed
Enemies Chilled by you take 40% increased Burning Damage
25% Chance to Ignite when in Main Hand
100% increased Chill Duration on enemies when in Off Hand

Shavronne's Revelation
+(15 to 25) to maximum Energy Shield
+(60 to 75) to Intelligence
Right ring slot: You cannot Regenerate Mana
Right ring slot: 3.0% of Energy Shield Regenerated per second
Left ring slot: 100% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
Left ring slot: You cannot Recharge or Regenerate Energy Shield

Sibyl's Lament
+(20 to 30) to maximum Life
(20 to 30)% increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
Adds (8–20 to 15–28) Fire Damage
(20 to 40)% reduced Rarity of Items found
Left ring slot: 30% reduced Reflected Elemental Damage taken
Right ring slot: 30% reduced Reflected Physical Damage taken

Malachai's Artifice
Has 1 Socket
Socketed Gems have Elemental Equilibrium
Socketed Gems have 40% reduced Elemental Equilibrium effect
−25% to all Elemental Resistances
+(75 to 100)% to Fire Resistance when Socketed with a Red Gem
+(75 to 100)% to Cold Resistance when Socketed with a Green Gem
+(75 to 100)% to Lightning Resistance when Socketed with a Blue Gem
All Sockets are White

Granted some people might want to see different things, this style item creation accomplishes a very similar goal to the "customizing" problem that some people keep referencing here in this thread. GGG could easily make more items like these with different effects. I know some people are talking about leveling gear and buying all their gear at once rather than one by one. Who says gg can't make another ring where in the left slot it adds fire resist, and the left slot it adds cold. The possibilities are endless. GGG has the tools to be able create items that can solve the problems that set items could resolve.

I'm sorry if my post sounded offensive, I can be crass sometimes, but anyone who is reading this post and wants to see set items, ask yourself, can GGG already accomplish what you want to see in sets with the mechanics they have already used?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info