Is there any way to not feel so overwhelmed by everything?

I really like how customizable, but at the same time I feel like it's really overwhelming. I've looked at the wiki and some forum threads about game mechanics, but part of me just really doesn't know how to go about playing this game as a noob. I'm by no means a mathematician nor do I have the time to mess around with a ton of builds. I'm just looking for a way to get more into the game and not feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Any suggestions.
"
Martin0 wrote:
I really like how customizable, but at the same time I feel like it's really overwhelming. I've looked at the wiki and some forum threads about game mechanics, but part of me just really doesn't know how to go about playing this game as a noob. I'm by no means a mathematician nor do I have the time to mess around with a ton of builds. I'm just looking for a way to get more into the game and not feel like I'm doing everything wrong. Any suggestions.

It's best to just play the game, and when you don't understand some particular mechanics, look it up on the mechanics thread. Search the forums. Asking the players in chat should be your last resort, as your question has been probably asked many times before.

Don't try to learn it all at once, but rather piece by piece as you play.
IGN: Neonesis / Violetlight / Sirencurse /... I have too many alts...
I like to hang out in Global sometimes.
Last edited by neonesis on Dec 31, 2012, 5:58:05 PM
go to class section for class you think sounds coolest find a build that you think is cool copy and paste the passive skill tree link and copy it exactly
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585
Find a basic spec from someone's build that you have relative interest in and try it out. It will give you a good idea on getting character speccing down, also just take your time this game gets much more rewarding once you understand alot about it.
Just don't be overwhelmed. In a game like this, you shouldn't try to understand everything. Just build a character how you want to, and the details will settle in as you go.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Pick a few, two or three aspects that interest you at first so you don't get overwhelmed. Choose those to learn about at first and then after you understand those go from there.

I started a thread a few weeks ago titled something like "What do you wish you would have known as a new player" it has a LOT of one, two line tips in it - my thought process was for people like you who the mechanic, FAQ and associated threads were to detailed and jibberjabber to start off - a place read a few tips and have those tidbits to fall back on. This coming from someone who STILL after almost 7 months spends more time learning on the forums, than playing in game. Feel free to PM me with question here on the forum or add me in game - I am a CHRONIC alt tab person, chances are unless i am killing something, i am tabbed out reading.

1- go life nodes or energy shield nodes on the skill tree at first, you can always go back and get the evasion, armour nodes later. Life will benefit you more to begin with.

2- the recipes interested me the most - spent more time trying to memorize the smaller, easy to get recipes when i first started than anything else and still missed quite a bit until i understood them. A recipe is a combination of things you turn into the vendor that result in you getting a specific item or orb from the vendor. (Not everyone will care about this but if you ever enjoyed playing an AH in any game, this will interest you)

3- Flasks with dispel burning, frozen and chilled, curses and movement speed are keepers.

There are so many layers to this game, it is enough right now in closed beta to keep you entertained and learning things for years to come. Just try not to get overwhelmed, take it slow a piece or two at a time and evolve it into your player knowledge.

Link to my thread i found - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59538/highlight/
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Last edited by peachii on Dec 31, 2012, 7:38:54 PM
Take a deep breath and get right into it. Solution for all types of anxiety.

Also, it's not really as complex as it seems.
Honestly playing, dying and learning is the best way. Just jump in, know that if you are playing HC hp and defense is generally > then dps and go from there. Tweak things as you go and read as much as you can.

Different situations will make you learn different things as you go. Above all else know that no one has made it to level 100 so far, so there is a lot to learn.

Top 3 things I wish I knew as a newb:

1: HP solves literally everything. EVERYTHING.jpg

3: There is an offline Skill Tree somewhere in the forum-jungle

47: Dispel Frozen flasks and Instant HP Reco flasks are god sends.
1. go to classes subforums, read some builds, choose a build

4. level your char based on the build u chose

5. modify the build to fit your playstyle

6. glhf

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info