[1.0.2] skuadak's cheap, classic crit Frenzy/SA ranger(v.2.1) [videos inside]

The idea of this ranger is classic kiting ranger with good movement speed, critical chance and high dps, but also relatively viable. I also wanted it to don't die by single shoot at psychical reflect mobs. It's my first build presentation so please, don't bash me more than it's necessary ;). Also don't mind my engrish, no native speaker here.

Pros:

-Very good single target damage and good AoE damage
-Cold damage + Crits (esspecialy good against necros, bishops etc.)
-Psychical and Elemental reflect isn't a big issue.
-Working well with just 4L
-Easy access to any nodes that might be needed for future improvement (+hp, +dmg, +ias, +Int/Str, +crit chance/multiplier)
-Quite cheap
-Quite viable, as for a ranged character
-Fast movement speed (with Darkrays)
-Relitevely "newb friendly"

Cons:

-Psychical reflect combined with reduced life regen or doubled (map mod+monster mod) is sometimes annoying, yet not dangerous. Psychical reflect mobs on psychical reflect maps with reduced life regen are the real issue.
-No elemental resistance from passive tree
-You need to get some +hp nodes on your gear
-Although it's quite rare to get stunned/shocked/frozen due to good kiting ability - every of these moments is dangerous for this ranger, since survivability is based on Life Leech.
-Still, could be bit more viable

Videos:

Spoiler
v.2.1 Ghetto map, after the gear improvement(HD):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzSuVJtQkM

v.2 of build(current) Mud Geyser quick run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISe_emntfW8&feature=youtu.be

v.1 of build (bit weaker at all the fields, but idea stays the same):
Spoiler
Rare Cemetery map with 50% reduced life and mana regen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s35wDpnCMaM

Farming in Library with almost-death due to showing character's survivability. (bit laggy too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5_AEEzikOU

Another run on rare Cemetery, mods: monsters deal 91% extra damage as fire, monsters reflect 18% elemental damage. Low quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3o1n_BKVAk0

Numbers:

Spoiler

(pics are from 1.0.1 but in 1.0.2 changes are minor (100hp down, ~400 Frenzy dps and ~800 SA dps up)

Current numbers:
Spoiler

Offensive (all for Hatred and 8 Frenzy charges on):

Spoiler

Frenzy:

Split Arrow:

RoA+Ranged Attack Totem:

Defensive (all for Grace on):

Spoiler

without Frenzy charges:

with 8 Frenzy charges:

with 8 Frenzy charges and Molten Shell:

Stats (mana pool after 2 auras reservation match 127):
Spoiler

Recent numbers for 2x 4L:
Spoiler

Frenzy:
Spoiler

Split Arrow:
Spoiler

Rain of Arrows + Ranged Attack Totem:
Spoiler

Defence without Frenzy:
Spoiler

Defence with Frenzy:
Spoiler

Defence with Frenzy and Molten Shield:
Spoiler

Current build at level 85:

Gear:

Spoiler

This build starts to be fun to play with:

- decent psych damage bow
- two 4L for Split Arrow and Frenzy and one 3L for Grace+Hatred and Reduced Mana
- some critical chance and multiplier mods on gear

It's also necessary to cover some elemental resistances on the gear, or, optionaly, you can temporary grab ele resi nodes from passive tree (Nullification and +6% all ele resi near the Master Fletcher). Also - you need some life on your gear.

As for the armor - you can effectively use Eva, Eva/Arm and Arm(besides the chest) gear. I prefer Eva/Arm equpement since it's easy to chrome it for the build purposes. It would be good to have at least 6-7k armor at the end of the Act 3 mercilles(not so hard with Grace).

Flasks: I use 2 life flasks(one panicked), 1 hybrid to keep the mana flow fluent, granite and quicksilver. If you have 2-3% mana leech on your gear you can take diamond flask instead of hybrid. It's good if most of them have Surgeon's prefix - frequent crits make them full all the time.

No uniqes nor 5L are necessary for this build to be working well and be fun to play.

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Bandits rewards:

Spoiler

Normal - Oak
Cruel - Oak
Merciless - Kraityn

Skills:

Spoiler

Single target:
4L: Frenzy + Added fire damage + Increased critical strikes + Life Leech

AoE:
4L: Split Arrow + Added fire damage + Increased critical strikes + Life Leech
5L: Split Arrow + Added fire damage + Increased critical strikes + Faster Attacks + Life Leech

Auras:
Hatred + Grace + Reduced Mana

Curses:
Enfeeble or Temporal Chains, optionaly Critical Weakness or Projectile Weakness

Minor skills:
As an additional damage, decoy, boss finisher and a little bit of mf: Ranged Attack Totem + Rain of Arrows + Culling Strike + Item Quantity. Supporting it with Blind gem wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As a small defence buff: Cast when damage taken + Molten Shell
(I'm yet to try it with added Endurance Cry and Immortal Call through the simple lack of links, but it could be a nice addition)

Leveling guide:

Spoiler

40 passive points:

60 passive points:

80 passive points:

Till you get to Mana Drinker, some mana leech from gem/gear is what helps to fuel attacks, also you may want to get additional accuracy (gem, gear or passives tree) before grabbing Lioneye's Glare (but this isn't mandatory). Mana pool can sustain both Grace+Hatred and attacks around level 40-45. Until then you need to chose whitch aura is better at the given moment.

Thanks for reading, good luck and have fun.
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Jan 29, 2014, 2:01:05 AM
29.11 - fixed for 1.0.2
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 29, 2013, 10:09:12 AM
Finally you made it. Can't wait to test it. I've been playing with you for a while and this bulid it's good, you are able to make maps solo, and when I was tanking you just go all out dps which just smash mobs with tons of critticals.

Anyway I like to kite so it's worth trying for me.
Thanks Flami :D

Shameless self bump, video (more coming soon) and hipotetical leveling guide added.
Burn all the orbs!
Do you experience in lack of man from your current build?
I'm running another build with different skill tree, but attach is also based on SA & frenzy.
However numbers are signification lower than yours.
"
Eugene90 wrote:
Do you experience in lack of man from your current build?
I'm running another build with different skill tree, but attach is also based on SA & frenzy.
However numbers are signification lower than yours.

No, I don't have any problems with mana. SA fuels itself all the time, even at 50% reduced regen map. Spamming Frenzy for some longer time (at uniqe or some rare bosses) makes me use hybrid flask sometimes. Although 2% more of mana leech somewhere on my gear would be nice (and let me switch hybrid flask to diamond), but it isn't anything urgent.
Burn all the orbs!
reads: "gear: cheap, 4L"
proceeds to expand the spoiler tag.
sees a lionseye and a rat's nest.

D:
"
the_ammar wrote:
reads: "gear: cheap, 4L"
proceeds to expand the spoiler tag.
sees a lionseye and a rat's nest.

D:

well, they are quite cheap as for mid-end game stuff :D, about 3-4 ex for them 2 together. And they are no mandatory, either

P.S. quite big passive tree changes was done, I've more hp, damage and some armor. Video added.
Edit.
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 24, 2013, 8:15:36 AM
i know that a rat's nest go for 1-1.5ex, but is lioneye's only 2-3 ex?

i always people putting it up for 10+
"
the_ammar wrote:
i know that a rat's nest go for 1-1.5ex, but is lioneye's only 2-3 ex?

i always people putting it up for 10+

Yes, you can get non link, sufficient roll Lioneye's for 3 ex, quite easy.
Burn all the orbs!
Last edited by skuadak on Nov 26, 2013, 10:33:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info