Is Quillrain useless now?

Fork isn't much worse than lmp.
One less projectile, but less damage nerf as well.
Harder to hit with, though.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
ptt_frmr wrote:
"
Zentradi wrote:
So if one of my 3 arrows (with LMP) hit a mob, it will apply a fuse charge then split into 2 and can apply a charge on 2 different mobs after this ?

Nope. Explosive arrow rules:

- With LMP/GMP, each arrow applies a fuse
- Fork will not apply fuses to the target it forked on. It will apply fuses to the 2 targets it hits after forking
- Chain will only apply a fuse to the last target

In other words, fork and chain are terrible for EA.
What about pierce? Given that if your projectile pierces it doesnt always hit another target.
The 50% less weapon damage on quill rain also effects elemental damage?
Standard Forever
One comment about my build: I wasn't explicitly looking for weapon projectile, but rather for the "King of the hill" passive that lets me push back on crits.

Since I will be shooting absurdly fast and with high crit chance, it intends to keep enemies away.

The plan is to use Quillrain as the main weapon, with:

-Single target, low-AoE explosive arrow.
-GMP explosive arrow.
-GMP, Chain-forked level 1 frenzy (just to keep enemies away and build up charges).

Then Chin Sol in the secondary, with Burning Arrow and Point Blank gem for maximum "melee" damage.
Last edited by Falcord on Nov 30, 2012, 3:31:58 AM
"
Metronomy wrote:
"
ptt_frmr wrote:
"
Zentradi wrote:
So if one of my 3 arrows (with LMP) hit a mob, it will apply a fuse charge then split into 2 and can apply a charge on 2 different mobs after this ?

Nope. Explosive arrow rules:

- With LMP/GMP, each arrow applies a fuse
- Fork will not apply fuses to the target it forked on. It will apply fuses to the 2 targets it hits after forking
- Chain will only apply a fuse to the last target

In other words, fork and chain are terrible for EA.
What about pierce? Given that if your projectile pierces it doesnt always hit another target.

If a projectile pierces, it doesn't apply a fuse, nor does it fork or chain. If it doesn't hit another target after piercing, no fuses are applied at all. So generally you don't want pierce for EA.
Last edited by ptt_frmr on Nov 30, 2012, 4:35:36 AM
"
Falcord wrote:
One comment about my build: I wasn't explicitly looking for weapon projectile, but rather for the "King of the hill" passive that lets me push back on crits.

Since I will be shooting absurdly fast and with high crit chance, it intends to keep enemies away.

-GMP explosive arrow.
-GMP, Chain-forked level 1 frenzy (just to keep enemies away and build up charges).

Then Chin Sol in the secondary, with Burning Arrow and Point Blank gem for maximum "melee" damage.

I have a EA char with Quill Rain. In my experience, the mana cost is ridiculously high, so even though you will be shooting extremely fast, you will also be shooting in bursts, which makes knockback on crit useless for keeping enemies away. Consider summons, a decoy totem, or a flame totem with GMP + knockback.

Also due to the mana cost, LMP is better than GMP in my experience.

I didn't find that I needed frenzy charges at all with Quill Rain, I have nearly 6 attacks per second without them, which is already more than enough.

My recommendation for basic 4-link support gem setups:
Single-target: EA + Concentrated Effect + Fire Penetration + Mana Leech
Multi-target: EA + Concentrated Effect + LMP + Mana Leech
Last edited by ptt_frmr on Nov 30, 2012, 4:45:41 AM
"
ptt_frmr wrote:
"
Falcord wrote:

-GMP explosive arrow.

I have a EA char with Quill Rain. In my experience, the mana cost is ridiculously high, so even though you will be shooting extremely fast, you will also be shooting in bursts, which makes knockback on crit useless for keeping enemies away. Consider summons, a decoy totem, or a flame totem with GMP + knockback.

Also due to the mana cost, LMP is better than GMP in my experience.

I didn't find that I needed frenzy charges at all with Quill Rain, I have nearly 6 attacks per second without them, which is already more than enough.

My recommendation for basic 4-link support gem setups:
Single-target: EA + Concentrated Effect + Fire Penetration + Mana Leech
Multi-target: EA + Concentrated Effect + LMP + Mana Leech

Could you post your build pls ? i can reach 5 attacks/secs with IAS support gem but i don t see how you get to 6/secs without it ? maybe some underground unique item i dont know ? :)

Anyway, i did some maps today to test some things and i ll really go for quill rain + EA after the final wipe. I love this build a lot. High ES, crazy attack speed and fire madness ! The hard part is to get enough mana regen but it s doable by rolling a witch as i did and i m pretty satisfied so far :)

Edit : looking at some unique items that might help the build :

The dream fragment ring would be incredibly good for me i think. First, the mana regen is really good and the fact that we can t be frozen when we wear it make it absolutely perfect imo as it s one of the only thing that make me die ^^

The blackgleam quiver would be cool also for the attack speed but i don t think the physical to fire conversion affix could help as we don t do a lot of dmg with arrows anyway.

My cuurent main issue with this build is the reflect elem dmg. The projectile speed is so high that my 7K ish ES often goes boom as i sometimes transform a ball of mobs into a giant hedgdog without even seeing them on the screen ^^ . How do you guys handle the reflect ?
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Last edited by Kagari on Nov 30, 2012, 9:07:17 AM
Hmm, how about EA, lmp, chain, life gain on hit, with a BM char?
Or would split arrow do better, saving a link or adding extra effects?
Obviously, it won't explode after the 4th chain hit, but it's probably cheaper and might thus allow better tanking.

Edit: Forget about that, the best would prolly be LA+lmp.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Last edited by UnDeaD_CyBorG on Nov 30, 2012, 9:37:58 AM
I think that the mana cost of your idea would drain the life really fast with a quill rain bow and blood magic no ?
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
With LA, I calculated 54 per shot, reduced by 39% when using a duelist and taking the reduced cost passives.
That'd be 33 Life per shot, while having three arrows that each hit up to 3 targets per actual hit and do that 4 times.

So in the end, we have between one and 36 hits, each getting back around 25-30 life.
If we calculate around 4 attacks per second, which should be reachable rather easily, We'd drop by 132 life a second, which might be around 7% with the projected build, but we have at least the potential to get back around 1000 life a second.

Example Build
This example build is close to level 60 and rahter offensive, more defense could easily be reached by investing 6 passives in another 56% increased life, for a total of 104%.

Who knows, it might work.
Zaanus:

___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info