Is Quillrain useless now?

Back when I left the game (temporarily) because of a dire lack of free time, I was experimenting with a Quillrain build.

I was having a blast. I used explosive arrow, which back then wasn't tied to projectile damage, so I could spray the mobs with hundreds of explosive arrows and watch the fireworks. It dealt huge amounts of damage, but it required investing in lots of mana and fire damage nodes.

I think that build was fairly balanced. However, I saw that Explosive Arrow has been nerfed to be projectile damage based. This really saddens me, partly because that build will not be viable anymore, and also because I can't think of any skill that may make Quillrain viable again.

Maybe it's because I haven't played for a while and I don't know what new skills could fit that role. So my question is: Can Quillrain be used as an effective high level weapon because of some skill I haven't thought of? Or is it doomed to be a gimmick bow?
Last edited by Falcord on Nov 26, 2012, 3:08:28 AM
Quill rain still works with explosive arrow (still does 100% dmg)

its only LMP and GMP that has been nerfed on explosive arrow

Oh, does it? I thought it got affected by all "projectile damage" modifiers.

Also, is still the explosion damage fixed and dependant only on elemental/fire damage?

If that's the case then I'm a happy panda and I'll remake that character when open beta hits.
Yes, it still has its own 'exclusive' damage, not related to weapon or spell damage values.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
Yay!

I'm kind of confused by Mark's wording on this post though:

"
It does. The change made was not "make multiple projectiles' penalty affect it" it was "make the explosion damage considered projectile damage and affected by all modifiers to such".

Doesn't this say the opposite of what you guys posted here?
Last edited by Falcord on Nov 26, 2012, 4:40:40 AM
From what I understand, the explosion damage is now both fire AND projectile. This means that explosive arrow with LMP/GMP is now less powerful because the projectile dmg penalty now applies, but single-shot explosive arrow is now arguably more powerful because projectile dmg bonuses (eg projectile speed support) also apply to it.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
Last edited by VoxelSquid on Nov 26, 2012, 5:16:10 AM
Quill rain is worded as "50% less weapon damage" not projectile damage, so it does not necessarily affect the new explosive arrow. I havn't tested it directly though.
"
aimlessgun wrote:
Quill rain is worded as "50% less weapon damage" not projectile damage, so it does not necessarily affect the new explosive arrow. I havn't tested it directly though.

Now this sounds reasonable. Can anyone please confirm that "weapon damage" bonuses don't apply to projectile effects such as the explosion from Explosive Arrow?
The explosion of the fuses is non-weapon, projectile damage, and is thus not affected by weapon damage modifiers, such as Quill Rain's "50% less Weapon Damage". It is affected by projectile damage modifiers.
The damage from the arrows themselves is projectile weapon damage, so is affected.
Oh wow that's cool, I didn't know that. Guess I'm making an explosive arrow build for OB.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info