Name wipe.... Please? :)

So, back when I first hopped in the beta last year, it was told that everything was going to get wiped.

I rejoiced, because I have a thing for being able to grab character names in a new game.

Now, according to the FAQ, there won't be a total deletion of all characters, but a wipe of all our stuff? I would have bothered to reserve names I'd actually be using if that were the case. And in terms of "fairness" to people who've been in the beta that want their names and etc for participating in it, we still would have the client fully downloaded so we're ready to grab names come the wipe. Or letting beta/alpha members log in an hour/two early for "first pick".

I guess it sounds silly, but there's always been this weird bit of excitement to fight over who gets what names when an MMO-y game starts up, at least for me.
I swear to god if you ask me for a beta key you will get a severe tongue lashing. Cheers!
This information and corresponding discussions have been around for months, so it's not like there wasn't plenty of time to "reserve" a potentially popular name. Although personally I don't see the point of claiming name X just to see tons of other characters going by 1X1, xXx, _X_ etc. Encouraging some creativity is not a bad thing, either. :-)
never

i wont let anyone have EverhardDick
some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
Jerk >

Nobody can take it away!
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
I already took some of the names I want. I don't think anybody would steal them for me so personally I don't really care. But since we have a lot of people already and some of them have built their reputation in this community, I think it is only good that they can keep their names.
✠ ✠
I have to say I kinda liked the way d2/battlenet did it where if you dont login for three months you lose the name. They had to work a little to sit on them if they want to keep it, and there was hope to get a name back if you really wanted it.

I dont really care that much either, but when I came to PoE I found that someone made an account during an open beta and reserved 3 of the known names I used to use in d2 and they have not logged in since.

Anyhow, it would be disturbing if there was a wipe and someone jumped in and grabbed other users known names just to sell it to them or hold it out of spite.

*wish we could use a hyphen too "-" but thankful more then one "_" is allowed.
You could do what they did in Guild Wars 2. They reserved all the names of all the characters from Guild Wars 1, then after launch they released all the names that weren't use. A similar system could be used here. Wipe everything but reserve the names, people have 1 week/day/whatever to make characters with those names, then open up all the names to everyone.
"
GigaClon wrote:
You could do what they did in Guild Wars 2. They reserved all the names of all the characters from Guild Wars 1, then after launch they released all the names that weren't use. A similar system could be used here. Wipe everything but reserve the names, people have 1 week/day/whatever to make characters with those names, then open up all the names to everyone.

Or they could do the thing they told everyone they were going to do for months.

Dunno, hard choice.
Are we really complaining that they put in a system so that people can't steal your names?
I think... I remember it being said that they might do something about names that haven't been used for a long time. OR..... that could be a totally different game although I don't think it is since I don't play other games.

Honestly I do not care about names much.. I have 10000000 names to use from games over the years all which I like.
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585
Last edited by Powster on Nov 8, 2012, 11:22:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info