Cast on Crit

"
1less1 wrote:
My question is this. Can you cast the same spell linked to your cast on crit? What I mean is something like this.

Freezing Pulse - GMP - CoC - Freezing Pulse

I was wondering if since you have another gem of Freezing Pulse that the CoC wouldn't turn off your ability to cast it. Would love to know.

Read the CoCS gem; Supported Attacks have a x% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you Crit an Enemy. A Spell may be an attack of sorts, but it is most certainly not an Attack.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 3, 2014, 11:22:39 PM
Is it better to use two of the same spells linked to Cast on Crit than one?
I'm currently doing Cyclone - CoC - EK - EK - Life Leech - Blood Magic.

Now is it better to have both linked or is it useless?
Master Lagger
"
sid3kick wrote:
Is it better to use two of the same spells linked to Cast on Crit than one?
I'm currently doing Cyclone - CoC - EK - EK - Life Leech - Blood Magic.

Now is it better to have both linked or is it useless?

CoCS implements a cooldown of 10ms on any spell that has been supported by it when cast via the CoCS method. Gems of the same name (say, two Ethereal Knife gems) share cooldowns (this is not unique to CoCS; it how the game works). So, only one will be cast by the CoCS method because that immediately puts the other one on cooldown too.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 9, 2014, 8:52:54 AM
How does CoC work? Do you need to link Coc with your main attacking skill along with the spell u wish to CoC? Or is it for different links such as the below:

6L Belly of the Beast 20%
-Spec Throw (G) 20%
-Iron Grip (R) 20%
-Life Gain on Hit (R) 20%
-GMP (G) 20%
-Increased Crit (B) 20%
-Item Rarity (B) 20%

6L Terminus Est 20%
-Coc (B) 20%
-Artic Breath (B) 20%
-Iron Will (R) 20%
-GMP (B) 20%
-Iron Will (R) 20%
-Fork (G) 20%

If in the case of the former, GGG plz change how this works unless too broken
Last edited by gramu on Feb 19, 2014, 5:08:02 AM
"
Supported Attacks have a chance to Cast Supported Spells when you Crit an Enemy

Should be pretty obvious.
Link your Spell and CoC to your Attack.
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
I've been wondering how will multiple spells, supported by CoC interact with Elemental Equilibrium.
Let's say i'm using Cyclone with Shock Sova and Cold Snap linked to CoC.
Will they apply the resist reduction one by one and benefit from it?
Also i'm trying to figure it out if the usage of Ice Nova will be better due to it's slow spread speed.
ING: Valhaal
"
valhaal wrote:
I've been wondering how will multiple spells, supported by CoC interact with Elemental Equilibrium.
Also i'm trying to figure it out if the usage of Ice Nova will be better due to it's slow spread speed.

I can tell you from running EE maps it works well to have alternating elemental spells. EE changes the mobs resist each time an element hits them and sequential crits with a coc setup will cast linked spells in the order they are linked. It works even better if you can get a third element on your weapon attack, usually lightning.
"
valhaal wrote:

The hits are separate; so, the resistances are applied in separation too.

Cold snap with CoCS requires Voll's Protector to work well (you need power charges and PCoC will not do the job due to the way it works). So, a little warning there. Cold Snap does however provide very nice damage with CoCS and Voll's Protector, as well as the survival bonus of chilling & freezing things. Ice Nova is not as good in either field, but you do not have to wear Voll's Protector - the choice is up to you.

Shock Nova might not work well for setting up EE - it is quite difficult to get it to hit the right targets, so, you'll possibly end up with Cold Snap hitting targets that have been made resistant instead of vulnerable a lot of the time (because Shock Nova did not hit them). This is also true because Shock Nova hits enemies around you, where as Cold Snap hits enemies around the target, making hitting all the same targets quite difficult even if you manage to hit some.

Arc probably wont be much better for making targets vulnerable to Cold Snap via EE; while it is more reliable as it is guaranteed to hit the same targets, only 3 targets maximum would be made vulnerable (per proc), where as Cold Snap will probably hit more targets than 3 (per proc). However, Arc in CoCS is good for shock-stacking, especially if you are using elemental proliferation (which is also good for Cold Snap as well), so this to me would definitely give it the edge over Shock Nova.

Spark's random hit distribution will likely mean it is not as effective as Arc or Shock Nova, as well as not having Arc's shock-stacking prowess. Storm Call is not really an option - it hits in delayed bursts rather than a steady stream of hits.

Conclusion; you might be better off using a fire spell instead if you are not interested in shock-stacking - Firestorm would likely work well with EE for Cold Snap to take advantage of. If you want to shock-stack, use Arc instead of Shock Nova. In either case, use the other element on your attacks (i.e., Cyclone), since this will benefit both spells vis EE.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 20, 2014, 3:01:37 AM
Thanks for such detailed answers.
I'm now thinking to use CoC discharger with Voll's and Cold Snap.
This will possibly cover all the problems with range, shock stacking and have a very decent damage output.
The only problem i see is that Discharge have a bigger AoE, than Cold Snap, so some far monsters will not recieve the proper debuff. But this will drastically increase damage against close target and, most importantly, single targets, like unique bosses.
So, i guess, i'll be sticking to this.
ING: Valhaal
That seems viable. Make sure you have the Cold Snap cast before the Discharge though (as otherwise the Discharge will use up all the charges first). Both Cold Snap and Discharge can generate charges (with Voll's Protector) if they themselves crit, but this is of course unreliable.

Single-targets may be annoying; per "pulse" you will only generate one guaranteed charge - so you will only be guaranteed to cast Cold Snap (or, whichever is cast first). If Cold Snap crits, you will have an extra charge. This will allow you to cast Discharge. Problem is, Discharge will use up any charges remaining, returning you to square one, unless Discharge then crits (to generate a power charge). So basically, once you start Discharging you need every Discharge to crit to carry on Discharging. Once that fails, you then need Cold Snap to crit to start it up again. Furthermore, each discharge will be a one-power-charge Discharge, which isn't great. Also, having EE, anytime you don't get a Discharge means Cold Snap will be penalised as well. Like RNG much? :P With lots of crit this should be ok, though.

Alternatively, it may be better to replace Discharge when coming up against a single-target with another lightning spell; possibly Spark for shotgunning (all three Spark projectiles should hit the single-target. This will guarantee EE for Cold Snap, cause you to reach maximum power charges fast and keep them (so more crits), and shotgun Spark casting more often than one-power-charge Discharge would probably be a dps boost in itself. You could do this via a weapon swap (maybe using Quill Rain and GMP-Barrage (shotgun) instead of Cyclone?).

By the way, to make Cold Snap cast first I think it has to be in the first link from the top left? Or the closest link to the CoCS gem? I am not sure on this, so maybe someone could clarify as this would be possibly helpful to anyone using the CoCS gem.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 21, 2014, 5:08:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info