Cast on Crit

Every other "Do X on crit" effect is done once per attack. Based on that (and on the fact that this gem is OP as hell combined with LMP/GMP and chain) I assume that it's not working as intended. As such, nobody should expect the gem will remain the way it is right now.

I can already hear the "I quit!" cries though. Oh well.
"
Damon_Tor wrote:
Every other "Do X on crit" effect is done once per attack. Based on that (and on the fact that this gem is OP as hell combined with LMP/GMP and chain) I assume that it's not working as intended. As such, nobody should expect the gem will remain the way it is right now.

I can already hear the "I quit!" cries though. Oh well.

Then all they need to do is to remove it working from chain and its fine. It still should work the same with spectral, since it hits many times.
Last edited by NagiSoi on Nov 14, 2013, 7:22:19 PM
"
Damon_Tor wrote:
Every other "Do X on crit" effect is done once per attack.

Voll's Protector.
The fact X is binary doesn't mean Y has to be as well, even if they (superficially) have the same effect. PCoC checks IF you Crit; Cast on Crit WHEN you Crit.

If GGG didn't notice how Cast on Crit actually works when, you know, making it , they are exceptionally talented at being oblivious. It's also been discussed to death since release, and it's not like they don't read the forums.
It's working as originally intended.
Please, stop calling this gem "OP as hell" or they'll nerf it before I actually get the chance to use it. :-P

We already lost Cast when Damage Taken, so please let's just keep it down for a while.
For ranged attacks it would be much more fun if supported skills were cast from the point of impact rather than from my character's location. So for example a spell would appear to erupt from the projectile when it strikes an opponent. Otherwise it's a cool support gem, thank you for introducing it.
IF they wanna nerf it id say remove procs from chain so it only procs from original projectile.
Is it OP or is it just spiked damage.My experience is at times it seems to not do much then other times it goes crazy which is what you'd expect from such a random mechanic.I wouldn't want to see it nerfed because it appears OP but because it is OP.
"
Largefarva wrote:
Still wondering how well CoC could work with elemental equilibrium.

Here are the caveats of using CoC with EE:

- You must select either one or two types of spell type damage from: Fire, Ice, Lightning.
- You must be very controlled in what types of +dmg you use in your gear, which is tied to whatever trigger spell you use. Again, the three types of +dmg being fire, cold, lightning.

Example from my CoC Scion:

I use Spectral Throw, which is physical, and my only + dmg is lightning on gear/gems/skills/passives. CoC + Spectral Throw + Fireball + Arctic Breath.

What this does is with my +lightning damage on Spectral Throw, it turns mobs to +25% lightning res, -50% cold and fire, and when my CoC activates, it shoots Fireballs and Arctic Breath, which takes advantage of EE. At the exact moment the Fireballs/Arctic Breath hit, the resistances change to -50% lightning, +25% Fire/Cold. But I spam Spectral Throw fast enough that the overall resistances are more benefit to Fire/Cold to nullify Lighting.

Things to consider:

- Pick spells that can AoE or have high crit/crit multipliers. Fireball/Arctic Breath/Ice Spear are good. Arc is bad, as it only hits up to 3 targets.
- Do not use Fork, Pierce, or Chain, as those lower your DPS considerably against single target, but dont overall improve your AoE that much. Greater/Lesser Mult Projectiles is best bet.
- You cannot use more than one type of Elemental Weapon damage gem, and it must be opposite of whatever spells you've linked to CoC.
- With L/G Mult Projectiles, you will get hundreds of procs per second sometimes, this WILL crash people, sometimes yourself, sometimes the whole instance. I can't tell if the Ele Resistance calculations are done client side, server side, client side then pushed to server to be distributed to each client again, or whatever. If you pull a couple of screens worth of mobs, then hit a diamond crit flask, then cast one spell, you will crash the instance, and everyone in it, or if you're lucky, just lag out to about 1-2 FPS, and then stabilise. The only upside is that it will one shot most rares if they are upclose yo you, and clear the entire screen as well.
- Last but not least: projectile travel speed. Whatever you ultimately pick, the projectile needs to be the exact same, or overlapped frequently enough with your +dmg spam skill to mitigate the EE chaning too frequently. For example: Arc has near instant travel time, where as Fireball is kind of slow, so they dont hit at the same time and can screw up your EE if you're not careful. You want to have your spells impact at the exact same time to take full advantage. Because more often then not, you will get chains of 10+ CoC procs within a second, and if your spells dont land at the exact same time, 50% of them will get a bonus from EE, and the other 50% will not.

There's my long, confusing explanation of how EE works with CoC.
Last edited by Tipptoe on Nov 19, 2013, 1:14:10 PM
"
Kavlor wrote:
Is it OP or is it just spiked damage.My experience is at times it seems to not do much then other times it goes crazy which is what you'd expect from such a random mechanic.I wouldn't want to see it nerfed because it appears OP but because it is OP.

It is spiky damage. Its horrible vs low groups of monsters or single mobs and pretty strong if you know what are you doing vs bigger groups.
"
Tipptoe wrote:
Here are the caveats of using CoC with EE:

While I'm using exactly the same setup and agree with most of your conclusions and advices, my reasoning is different.

First, I believe that there is no such thing as "exact same time" for fireball and arctic breath. I believe the game calculates one hit, applies EE, then calculates another hit, and this is why we deal more damage with EE. Then second pair of spells come, both dealing increased damage too. This happens when a crit procs both spells.

Second, while spamming ST helps, it doesn't hit often enough compared to rapid AoE spells.

ps. I'm yet to grab EE passive in the tree, but i love EE mod on maps.
Last edited by SunnyRay on Nov 19, 2013, 2:31:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info