Official Path of Exile Release Trailer

"
PoERickety wrote:
"
Septile wrote:
"
PoERickety wrote:
Excellent news!!

OK, just watched trailer. Just wondering who the girl is as this is a character Ive never seen before? Is this a new one, a female model of an already existing male character?

It's a new class, starts in the middle of the passive tree.

Cool, has there been any info regarding this class or was that the real point of the actual video. A teaser so to speak?

Allthough this is probably an extended troll, I have to ask:
Are You even reading or understanding anything that goes on on the PoE website?
Did you bother to click on any of the links on the post regarding press coverage? Because ALL your questions and tons more would have allready been answered.
"
Zedda wrote:
I'm sorry, but that video was just terrible. Not even joking. The open beta trailer was 100x better. Better music, better presentation, better action, better display of spells/skills, overall a far better advertisement of PoE.

I must agree, the Open Beta trailer was much better. Of course, my pleasant anticipation for the release cannot be impaired by any trailer (though this one did certainly not enhance it). The release trailer would have been fine as a class trailer.

edit: having read the whole thread now, I rest assured a trailer worthy of the game is on its way.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Oct 7, 2013, 1:13:59 PM
Only after watching it a second time I noticed the Soul Taker 3D model.
I wish the actual game looked like this. It is too bad you can't actually play the game zoomed in. I am not trying to be a douche. I really like this game. It would be nice if the actual gameplay did look like this.
the new area looks alot like the D2 council place
IGN: Rainku_Arc
hey, I like the new trailer,, and the old one, I love them both!!
Rampage Rank 7 lv 100 BONJWA_TOP_DAWG
Talisman SC Rank 7 Lv 100 LaBonjwa_Neymar
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
Sorry for those who weren't happy with the trailer.

I did, in fact, put more effort into it than the Open Beta trailer, as did the rest of our team, and had equally as little sleep out of the whole thing, but I understand that some had expectations that were not met. On a personal level, I'm very happy with the edit and feel that it's technically a more polished and refined accomplishment than the Open Beta Trailer. I am really proud to showcase the work of some of the very talented people at Grinding Gear Games, not to mention the great soundtrack from Kamil Orman Janowski, and it's a shame that some feel we didn't put our best foot forward.

Fortunately, this is not the whole story.

We felt that we'd like to create a bitesize cinematic story trailer this time round - to appeal to a common demographic i.e the large proportion of viewers who dropped out early from watching the OB Trailer - followed up by a fuller gameplay trailer, more along the lines of the Open Beta Trailer.

I agree with the key points made here - focus on all characters and story, explain key gameplay differentiation (skill tree, etc.); we felt that we'd separate these elements out this time to provide two different entry points for two different audiences, so rest assured, these things will be addressed in the forthcoming trailer.

We're putting as much effort into the new gameplay trailer as we ever have into anything so I hope you'll find something of interest in it!

And once again, this is why GGG is so truly, truly outrageously awesome like no other... I don't even know what to say. Good job :O!
Wow, there's some... extensive community/dev interaction here, judging by the amount of Damien's posts. Guess I'll voice my feedback too.

First of all, thanks for putting effort into these cinematics. Did you do the first one too? I loved it more than I love most game trailers! I've long thought that game-engine-fueled cutscenes have more potential for emotional involvement, as they are (typically) seamlessly integrated into gameplay and highly adaptive to variable conditions: lightning effects, different character appearance, and so on. It always helps when there's no disparity between the "wow holy crap that rocks!" when you're watching the cutscene and the "oh..." when you realize it looks nothing like the actual game.

It's cool that you listen to our critique despite no-one here (to my knowledge) being highly qualified on the subject. I'll go over the new trailer bit-by-bit and try to point out what felt wrong about it in a concise manner. A bit CinemaSins-like.

0:07 — Trailer starts with what is technically the most poorly-designed and antique location in the game with equally antiquated zombie/survivor models and their animation, especially with Scion's model looking so much better and more colorful in comparison. Off to a bad start, I say. I understand that such decision stems largely from the need to establish some narrative continuity, but if that requires such a mix of asset quality, OB trailer's approach seems a lot more warranted.

0:15 — An item blatantly falling out as loot right in the opening scene? Well... I can't even tell if that or the plastic blood splash that follows actually irks me more. The serious, brooding, movie-like tone and narration that truly attempts to suspend disbelief is instantly shattered by an in-your-face message about it being a game—a fun and careless pastime. "They named me Sporker... They stripped me of my life pots... They made me gather junk falling out of oversized birds and rock-farting reptiloids." :)

0:22 — Characters running. Then running elsewhere. Then running through a doorway later on. Then three more different shots of them running, including one with a golden vulva on the side. We know nothing of the locations they're running through, nor where they're running, nor why are they in such a hurry in the first place (engine limitations I suppose). This would convey some meaning if there was any notion of them being pursued, or of them being the pursuers, but they aren't. They're just running, and it takes up a remarkable amount of trailer time. I actually chuckled at the shot where a Witch (I believe) is running into the underground passage, and it actually does appear like it's still flooded. Genuinely funny. :)

0:26 — We already saw this exact part of Terraces as a Templar was running past it just a second ago. Clearly it's not remarkable enough to revisit, especially since the boss isn't there, nor her dead body. If we're shown act 2 locations shortly afterwards, why not use something else here too?

0:33 — Man, some of those coins are the size of his head.

0:36 — Should have been a crit. As it is it looks like a water splash, which isn't expected to be used, nor be effective, against aquatic creatures. In fact, if I hadn't known it was a player skill, I'd think it was what the squids did to him.

0:39 — This shot again? Does Merveil (or the cameraman for that matter) ever move from her spot at all? She's much more mobile in the game.

0:43 — This scene confuses me. The two Leap Slam animations look good enough to warrant a showcase indeed, but the scene pits two exiles one against the other as the narrator Scion babbles something barely comprehensible: "There is a life here... If I have the will to take it... I will take from others". Marauder lands the first hit which doesn't even faze the Duelist... but for some reason we see a severed limb flying in front of the camera, even though both exiles are intact and there are no corpses at their feet; something reminiscent of Mortal Kombat's hilarious fatalities. The camera is zoomed in so heavily here the Demon Hand effect doesn't fit entirely into the screen, and honestly, if I hadn't known about it beforehand, I wouldn't know what that thing even was. Neither of them flinch as they exchange very heavy-looking hits. We are given so much opportunity to examine this scene in detail, we're bound to notice these inconsistencies to the point when they just suck the emotional impact dry. When you land a powerful-looking hit, it must lead to a powerful-looking result, not a complete lack thereof.

1:00 — "I am an exile", and a player character is shown. Alright, that makes sense. "Condemned to live in fear", and for some reason Dialla is shown... because she's well-modeled I guess? Followed by four gruesome shots that are probably meant to illustrate what is there to fear. At this point I stopped trying to find any correlation between scenes and narration, it's just so over the place.

1:12 — Did that fireball collide with the cameraman or with the small ribbon that happened to be in its path? Not that either makes sense, but I'm still curious.

1:14 — The undead rhoa is hit like a full second after it was supposed to be, at least visually. This is where game engine-powered cutscenes end up failing unless manually tampered with.

1:16 — These two scenes looked cool, but I've no idea if they're connected, and I couldn't make sense of either. :D

1:29 — Freedom. Power. Revenge. Boobs. :D Also, her hair moves very unnaturally. I know this is more of a stylized effect, but it does look weird.

Now to recap the entire narrator text:
"
They named me sinner. They stripped me of my life. But this land was a wealthy land. Bounty as plentiful as burns (?). There is a life here... If I have the will to take it... I will take from others. I will use others to take from this world... or I will fight alone. I am an exile, condemned to live in fear. If I am to survive, I must do but one thing: conquer the beast within.

As pretentious as is it nonsensical, I'm afraid.

1. What do the phrases about former glory of the land have to do with the surrounding text? Why the "but" in the third sentence? Why "a" life? That sounds much like some platformer gameplay commentary: "Hey, there's a life here, on the small island at the other side of this lava pit! Do you have the will to take it?" :D

2. The notion of beast within that must be conquered goes completely at odds with the notion of a highly hostile, evidently perilous environment that is Wraeclast. Forget about all that, it's only the beast within that we must conquer! Is Dominus the "beast", and the Scepter of God the place he is "within"? Or it's the beast inside Dominus? Or it doesn't have anything at all to do with Dominus? Is it something that is featured in the last two scenes? Is it a metaphor?

Now let's compare with the OB trailer and perhaps punch some holes in it, too, just so that I don't sound too biased. I'll emphasize things that I believe to be done right, and those the new trailer lacks pretty much entirely.

0:06 — A different character from the one we saw a second ago, or did he just swap the weapon? ;D

0:13 — The nature of both the protagonist, the antagonist, and the conflict between them is established right in the first sentence, and in the right amount to intrigue but not spoil. The bad guy is someone in power who unjustly evicts people, and one of them—one of many—has stood up for themself. This is actually very masterful of whoever wrote it. The entire set is technically very well done as well.

0:19 — Does indeed look like adversity, agony, and anguish. That's besides just looking cool, disturbing and densely packed. But the best thing is, this illustration is brief and to the point at the same time.

0:25 — Is Dominus drunk? I can't make heads or tails of what he's saying here. He's like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises.

0:27 — Dat music. Dat chaos! After setting the arguably correct tone with Dominus's speech, the trailer pushes onwards, not letting go of your attention for as much as a second. Almost immediately, key features of the game start appearing, and we learn of them in a similarly brief and to-the-point way.

1:00, 1:27 — Very good punctuation to the fast pacing. The next segment (itemization), however, I find to be the weakest point of the trailer due to how static it is in terms of tension compared to the rest of the trailer. (Btw, I just realized Storm Cloud was in there despite not being available in the game for the following, like, half a year!) But it ends so quickly it doesn't matter much. The fly-by's aren't anything special either, but I guess they're decent.

2:02 — Another powerful punctuation moment.

2:06 — "I offered the gift of exile, and you used it to reinvent yourself", pretentious as well, but completely sensible and actually treading the thin line of almost breaking the fourth wall; cleverly done. Can't exactly decipher the next phrase though... "I couldn't wish for a more ... torment"?

2:16 — Fade-out, fade-in to the same shot from a mirrored angle, same posture and all. Dominus could have at least moved a hand! Is he paralyzed from all that electricity?

2:26 — This thing. Just when you think the trailer is over, it exceeds your expectations by hitting you one last time with this wonderful, well-made scene. I played all this time not having seen anything remotely similar to it in the game (I figure it's the set of armor animated by a new skill demonstrated in the GameSpot interview), but it's so awesome still.

Hope this helped at least a little bit.
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
Last edited by moozooh on Oct 10, 2013, 6:30:15 PM
@moozooh : Thanks a lot i think i am going to pm Damian to have a look at it, i am sure you did not do it.

About the fireballs + the zoom, i did not like it actually.
The music was very nice, and the last boss/monster scene with all that lightning was very enjoyable to watch.
Thanks for saying, how showing multiple act 1 areas, does not help.
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
"
Inexium wrote:
@moozooh : Thanks a lot i think i am going to pm Damian to have a look at it, i am sure you did not do it.

Indeed I didn't, thanks for doing that.
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
Last edited by moozooh on Oct 10, 2013, 6:19:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info