ScrotieMcB vs Desync Dev Manifesto (Massive Wall Map of Text)

With release coming soon i am getting worried about this issue. Since it's still in beta it is still sort of forgivable(sort of). I want this game to do well... but with desync still as horrendously bad as it is, i see new people leaving shortly after release.
Last edited by DumpsterDiver on Oct 16, 2013, 6:51:11 PM
"
"
tikitaki wrote:
Fuck your content
Fuck your balance changes
Fuck your micro-transactions
Fuck your new skills
And most of all, fuck your uniques.

Fix your netcode. If you don't have the man power to fix it, then buy some more manpower and get it done.

I forgot when writing the OP to include at least one fuck on every line, it makes reading far more enjoyable. I fucking approve.
bowing out
kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFE90QKJIw
vs
adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzysxHGZCAU
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 business a-blazing but no more t-shirts
Last edited by FullCust on Oct 7, 2014, 10:22:58 PM
I'd like to hear everyone's feedback on Kingsroad on facebook. I actually found it quite relaxing and fun to play. Sometimes the old model of KISS (Keep it simple stupid) really does work.
Good OP ScrotieMcB.

What worries me a lot is the following part of Cris's answer

"
Chris wrote:

... While it certainly has its flaws and can cause some terrible gameplay experiences, it does allow PoE to be one of two Action RPGs that allows zero client manipulation of combat results.

How can this even be acceptable for GGG???

And then this:

"
Chris wrote:

The point is somewhat moot though, because we do have substantial changes coming up to deploy to the production realm in the coming weeks.

We are very close to 1.0.0. and I haven't noticed any decrease in desync happening at all. On the contrary! My feeling is that it gets worse every time new content is added. There are more and more skills that are prone to desync (one of my latest favorites is Reave) or cause desync. I seriously can't understand why GGG is implementing so much stuff (skills, monsters,...) the game-engine obviously can't handle. GGG should know the limitations of their own engine and design skills & monsters accordingly or fix/upgrade the engine before releasing this mostly awesome new stuff that is above the current engine's capabilities. It's very sad to see all this awesome content and then have desync causing so much frustration (sometimes this overshadows all the good stuff).

19 out of 20 times my toons die desync is the cause. I'm not talking about minor desync here that could be caused by 200ms delay but rather massive desycs where monster/player positioning is at least half a screen off. Here I fully agree with ScrotieMcB this kind of offset can only happen due to a lack of information exchange between client & server.
Last edited by fae76 on Oct 17, 2013, 7:07:28 PM
/bump to the top

Thumps up for the time, insight and effort of an in-depth analysis, Scrotie!

----

2 have cropped up to my gaming experience recently.

Portals cast by a portal gem appearing at a spot, where my character has been before I actually issued the hotbar'd portal skill use.

Trying to drop a ranged totem *behind a doorframe* makes my character walk to a line-of-sight position, and then use a basic shot (basic attack), instead of dropping a totem.

If these issues are related to the nature of client-side action prediction, the client-to-server command should make the server have these skill uses "memorized" to their action-stack, until resolved.
If you're leaving PoE, chances are I'll rezz you as my minion! MWHAHAHAH
Agreed. Totally.
Nice Post Scrotie.
I would've been way too lazy to write so much text.
Oh man, I wonder how all of the other majority-server-side games out there manage to get by with negligible desync.

It's like sorcery or something
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info