:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Because why not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VLpVGJ1g0

As for this season i've enjoyed a surprising amount so far, a few i fell may get dropped but will give a chance.

Darling in the FranXX, first episode i enjoyed even if it needs a lot of filling in

Death March, nothing particularly bad about it yet, though it is pretty much done to death atm, hope it will pick up in a few episodes and make itself stand out.

Grancrest Senki, seems to be going full retard with the pacing atm...seems far to rushed and little to get you invested, it may change or it may just muddle through and not get any worse

Marchen Madchen, pretty standard so far, will see how the story develops(if it develops and not fall into copious fan service .

Mitsuboshi Colors, got a heavy ichigo marshmallow vibe from it, especially the art nothing ground breaking but will watch for possible lol's
Spoiler
like the police getting a fake RPG to the dick

Overlord II, since i've never read the manga this seems totally different to the original atm, though i get what Charan means about getting a bit confused a bit with log horizon (this type of anime seem to be VERY similar
Spoiler
Probably the princess in the first episode feeling very similar to log horizons

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho, was one on my to watch list going by the brief descriptions before airing, it's different from what i expected but by no means bad...pretty fun so far actually.

Violet Evergarden, not sure what i was expecting going by the descriptions but it wasn't what was shown and surprisingly it was prety damn good for a first episode (though i don't get the comparisons to Gargantia
Spoiler
First episode of Gargantia being part epic space battle to being marooned on a backwater planet rather than being a "weapon" retired and doing menial work to find the meaning of love

And Yuru Camp, which has been fairly placid so far but it's always enjoyable watching an anime when you have even a passing interest in what it is based on.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jan 19, 2018, 12:52:17 PM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Violet Evergarden, not sure what i was expecting going by the descriptions but it wasn't what was shown and surprisingly it was prety damn good for a first episode (though i don't get the comparisons to Gargantia

I'm pretty sure everything Gargantia and Evergarden here was completely unrelated up to this point. We generally talk about multiple series in a single post here, it can get confusing at times.

Today I finished two series I started a while ago, Dimension W and Mekakucity actors.

Dimension W reminded me of darker than black. The more I think about it, the parallels I see, it's funny. I enjoyed it quite a lot, the characters were pretty interesting. I only wish that they had gone more into detail about some side characters that seem rather important in the world of the series, but only show up once or twice :/

Mekakucity Actors was... Shaft. I have no real other way to describe it. I honestly am glad that I watched the monogatari series and quite a few other shaft anime before, so I was already used to their animation style and awkward timelines. Otherwise it would've been pretty damn confusing. And oh god, so SO many head tilts in this one.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Correct, no comparison to Gargantia. Gargantia came from Sorayori, probably because of...not sure. Ice? Water? Something like that. Either way I've not seen VE and likely won't until Netflix Australia stop being shitheads.

Speaking of, now that Anime Strike is history, we got around to watching Ballroom e youkoso. 12 episodes down. Well, that was...not so awesome, but I understand that the production had major issues two episodes in -- one of their head staff literally worked himself to death on the episode. Without knowing that you'd wonder why the animation dropped so hard and why several episodes were farmed out to shitshows like Pierrot. Well, that's why. So I had to completely erase my sakuga expectations and hopes and focused purely on story, music and voice acting. I think it does very well in those departments, although my status as a hopeless Morikawa "Sephiroth/Pandamama" Toshiyuki fan probably doesn't hurt. The usual tropes of a sibling situation, a prodigy with a tiger mother and an MC kun with an unspoken super power (tatara can mimic almost to a point of mastery just by watching) drag it down a bit, as do the carryovers of juvenile humour from the manga. But it had some nice themes and the second cours looks like it might convey a slightly more mature tone with these new characters. But god damn, so many stills, repeated animation and sloppy art. I can't help but compare it to Yuri and Yuri wins, effortlessly.

Watched the first movie of Godzilla, Monster Planet. Eh, I'm still not a huge fan of Polygon Pictures' cel-shading style but it suffices. Great cast. A few plotholes and if you're not into the whole MC kun saves the day with a stupid plan and everyone cheers concept, avoid this show like the plague.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Dragon Ball Super might be ending for good come March.

While the quality isn't as good as DBZ case in point how useless Vegito was in DBS I still enjoyed DBS.

A dragon ball is still better than no dragon ball
Look how Awesome my MTX Marauder RF looks

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695395
Dragonball Super is FAR higher quality than Dragonball Z. It's had some serious sakuga in the past few arcs, and very little filler. They even went back and corrected the animation mistakes of earlier episodes on the bluray release. Not something Toei ever did for Dragonball Z. The best Z ever looked was with the Funimation 'Layer' bluray remasters and that was so expensive to do they stopped after like 20 episodes. It looked great but it wasn't up to Super's level.

Story-wise Super has had at least three awesome arcs, peaking with Goku Black which went full Steins;Gate. It's even managed to reuse the 'tournament' trope not once but twice and has made each felt new enough that you don't sit there comparing it to the Budokai or Cell Game.

Character-wise it's done a really good job of showing that Goku was never meant to be a heroic figure. Even according to Toriyama he's...occasionally toxic to his own side with his endless desire for a bigger, badder opponent.

If you want to discuss things like character utility and power levels, then you're looking for a different adjective than 'quality'.

I imagine they might want to end it given the death of Bulma's seiyuu but I figured she might be replaceable. Either way, it's been a damn good run.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jan 19, 2018, 9:18:58 PM
Darling in the FranXX, their piloting solution is....interesting.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Darling in the FranXX, their piloting solution is....interesting.

What did you expect from trigger? Like... seriously, ever seen Kill la Kill?
It almost feels like they wanted to create a reverse evangelion with this series... the main character WANTS to get in the damn robot, but everyone tries to stop him. And instead of telling him that he has a responsibility to fight for the good of mankind, they tell him that he can't do it... somewhat funny if you think about it.
Also, I get the feeling that quite a few of his "comrades" are total assholes and/or selfish pricks.
It IS interesting though. I will definitely keep watching.
Curiously enough it's as much A-1 as trigger regarding the Eva influence -- apparently a few Gainax stalwarts landed at A-1. This explains the ease of cooperation between the two.

Yet to watch today's.

"
Curiously enough it's as much A-1 as trigger regarding the Eva influence -- apparently a few Gainax stalwarts landed at A-1. This explains the ease of cooperation between the two.

And also the quality so far. And the gurren lagann vibes... I mean, apparently post-apocalyptic wasteland with giant mech fighting and humanity consisting of isolated communities? Sounds pretty similar if you ask me. I'm not complaining though. I love it so far!

And yeah, the piloting system is... unusual. Let's keep it at that.
Well that was fucking...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info